EM/IM combined residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muchacha87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in a combined residency in both EM and IM in the New York area. I love both fields and want to do academic medicine eventually. However, I want to know what board score would be considered competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

EM not that hard
IM easy unless youre looking for the Ivy LEague Namebrand

EM-IM much harder. I conisder it, like Med-Peds, to be a tier 2 competitive speciality.

Tier 1: (Step 1 240+)
Uro
Optho
Derm
Ortho

Tier 2: (Step 1 230+)
Med-Peds
EM/IM
Anesthesia
Radiology
Surgery

Tier 3: (Step 1 Pass)
Med
Ped
Psych
Neuro
Fam
OB/GYN
PM&R

Some may disagree with me about the tier system, or the placement of one field over another, but I think this is a reasonable cutoff for specialties. Some may allow you to compensate with Step 2, or with Letters, or with grades, whatever. But as a general ballpark, this should give you an idea.

Obviously, getting IM at Harvard or USCF isnt a Step 1 pass

Board scores are kind of off for those. It really is a lot more fluid than that anyway.

Ortho, optho, and rads usually have pretty close Step 1 scores. Many of the other specialties like rad/onc, derm, neurosurgery, etc. aren't significantly greater in terms of averages, especially since it only takes a couple of people to sway those specialty hours in either direction. When you get into the super competitive fields, your clinical grades, LORs, research, and all that other crap begin to play a much bigger role since everyone has pretty strong step 1 scores who is applying.

As far as EM/IM? It just depends. Normal EM programs tend to be in the 220+ range, but they also tend to value step 1 scores less than your personality and whether they can get along with you. EM is one of those fields where it is ok if you weren't a stellar tester, as long as you are a hardworker and aren't a d-bag. (All these things have their limits of course) EM/IM tends to attract a a crowd that is into critical care and likes to change between places, which is usually best afforded at academic centers. I do know one that changes it up and rotates between Hospitalist/ICU stuff and ED in private practice, so it isn't impossible if you had a change of heart.