EM - Missed Shift - Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperDuperBoi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of a predicament here, I've absolutely screwed up and missed a shift on an early audition rotation. It was an honest mistake, my calendar was miskeyed and I ended up showing up to a shift different than the one scheduled. So far no one has mentioned it, but the program has systems in place to ensure students arrive on time, and, if not, to inform the PD. Should I reach out to the PD and open up about the mistake? How do you think this will impact my SLOE? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell the PD right away. Be genuinely honest, apologetic, offer to make it up, do anything. Just don't ignore it and hope for the best...an unexplained, unapologetic no-show will look horrible on a SLOE and will make PDs wonder how reliable you are if you flaked out on a shift...even if your other SLOE(s) are good.

Reactions: 7 users
The fact that you made an SDN account to ask this question, gives you the answer.

Ya blew it.. now apologize, and all will be well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, just ignore it. No one will notice and the PD won't even care. If someone asks just make up something along the lines that you were there working with xyz resident (just pick a random resident because they won't ask them). You could probably just skip the whole rotation if you wanted to, and then just ask for a SLOE at the end. All the SLOEs are the same anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
No, just ignore it. No one will notice and the PD won't even care. If someone asks just make up something along the lines that you were there working with xyz resident (just pick a random resident because they won't ask them). You could probably just skip the whole rotation if you wanted to, and then just ask for a SLOE at the end. All the SLOEs are the same anyway.
Yikes. This is terrible advice that would 100/10 bite you hard and for very good reason... don't want to take chances that could end your career if they don't go your way. Also it's a bad start if you're beginning your career on this kind of unethical note. Integrity counts...

Reactions: 1 user
Yikes. This is terrible advice that would 100/10 bite you hard and for very good reason... don't want to take chances that could end your career if they don't go your way. Also it's a bad start if you're beginning your career on this kind of unethical note. Integrity counts...
Lol I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.

Skip the whole rotation?
Bro the point is to learn and become a quality doctor, not to mention pass second round of boards.

Lol I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.

Skip the whole rotation?
Bro the point is to learn and become a quality doctor, not to mention pass second round of boards.
I think it's pretty obvious.

Talk to your program director right away. As the old saying goes, "Honesty is the best Policy." I'd say especially in ones like this.

Tell them you are planning to work every Saturday and 4th of July to make up for you mistake and then do it. That will really show you are taking responsibility.

Just bribe the PD with $5. I heard academic medicine really encourages bribery

Reactions: 1 users