EM to Psych Switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted411085

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've made the first step of wanting to switch. Congratulations. Welcome! The rest will follow.

Congrats on realizing where you want to be. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers to your questions. Is there a psychiatry residency at your current program? Talking to that program director or the pd of the program where you attended medical school might be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know where you want to go (location or even a program)?

Have you told anyone in your program about your plans?

I wouldn't worry about a PGY-1 spot, you should be fine going for a PGY-2 with your rotations. Whatever program takes you may need to juggle a few rotations here and there to get you what you need, perhaps.

The APA has a clearinghouse for open positions. Talk with your local psych PD, and any psych residents you may have worked with. If you know your local psych attendings, that may help further, though it's a little questionable as to whether you'd want a letter from them.

Best of luck!

Welcome back to psych.
I don't know all the answers to your questions, but a couple of thoughts:

I believe the LOR that will matter most to psych residencies will be a letter from your PD. Do what you can to make sure the PD expresses that you're leaving on good terms.

I think you should be able to get an ERAS token if you contact the ERAS coordinator at your med school (that's how I got my second one).

There are psych programs that have EM and even (in rare cases) ICU as standard parts of their internship year so you may be able to get credit for them. I'd try contacting the ABPN directly to ask them if your rotations will qualify.
Keep us updated on how it goes. I like to see good people from other specialties joining psych.

One program in Boston is looking for PGY2-3. This program is mostly populated by IMGs but they usually have several AMGs who transferred from other specialties (IM, Peds).

You will have no problem getting a PGY2 spot.

I sent you a PM.