Embarrassing mistakes you've made on rotations

Started by han14tra
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm on OB. Today, I almost inserted my fingers into the rectum instead of the vagina while doing a pelvic exam. I was holding the sheet up with one hand and inserting with the other. Since I didn't spread the labia majora, I couldn't see where I was at. I was poking around the perineum for about a minute until I felt the anus and figured out that I needed to go much more anterior 😳. The attending laughed at me for about 10 min. As a female and owner of a vagina, it was embarrassing that I couldn't find it on another woman.

What is your embarrassing moment?

Almost??? Rookie !!! I actually did it !!! 😱
 
Checking for prostate in vagina.... I think you've got more than a few things mixed up...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
patient in for post/op follow up after urostomy placement- she's cantakerous, texting without making eye contact while I am interviewing her, and doesn't like any of my questions so I tried to power through review of systems and flubbed when I got to GU questions

me: have you had any change in your bathroom habits, itching, burning, or discharge?
patient: you ask some really stupid questions- yah my habits changed- I pee in a bag now!


doh!
 
I've stopped myself from making a couple embarrassing mistakes while on Ob. One is every time I see a vaginal exam done, I have to consciously remind myself NOT to lick my lips, lest the patient think I am a pervert. This is a problem because A) I am a male and B) my lips are constantly dry and I have to apply Burt's Bees every so often.

Another mistake I almost made was on my first day of Ob and I was trying to explain to the doc about why progesterone is good for endometrial hyperplasia and the effects of estrogen on the uterus. I couldn't think of the word "estrogen" and kept thinking "epinephrine" because my mind was completely blanking. I ALMOST asked the Ob doc what the main female steroid hormone was haha. That would've been bad. Anyone else ever have bone headed moments like that?
 
Asked a patient with a trach to take deep breaths in and out through their mouth...one of those programmed things you say to everyone during a PE. I immediately realized how idiotic and insensitive I sounded but she burst out laughing right after I said it. Lucky for me it was a nice old lady and we all had a laugh about it after I apologized.
 
You all got some weak stories!

Try tripping over the main power cord for the laparoscopy power source in an OR during a surgery for ectopic pregnancy, shutting the whole OR down for about 5 painfully long minutes while everything gets booted back up, while the whole room including the program director glares at you silently.
 
I heard about a student at my school who had a syncopal episode and passed out into the sterile field on an ortho case. 😱
Yeah, that happened to a med student on their surgery rotation while I was a resident. So not only was everyone freaking out about the student passing out, but the fact that she face-planted into the abdomen on the way to slumping down to the floor. Ended up crumpled between the scrub tech, surg resident and main instrument cart---not a very roomy space to help her up and out of the room, either.