Emergency Medicine Class Matching in 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else having trouble sleeping? It's like Christmas Eve.
Hubby is sleeping like baby...and has never been on SDN...
Me, (the wife) is wide awake and and lives on SDN.
Go figure.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having trouble sleeping? It's like Christmas Eve.

Yes, though I can feel the sedatives taking their effects.

Sweet dreams, all.

It's Today!

May the odds be ever in your favor everyone!

This day is epic...
830am - find out my wife and I are having a little girl in August
100pm - finding out where I will train for EM.

... My head may explode. Congrats to all!!

I can't make it to our school match day. Do they post the results on line or what?

U also get a "where did I match?" email.

YAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

Got the email that said Congratulations, you matched at In-N-Out . . . Thank god, I thought I was going to have to settle for Chipotle's but animal style fries, here I come.

@ RF, yes very creepy email, it said what you said, but had a few lines of weird numbers like program code and my name/school etc . . .

But other than that, just weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
YAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

Got the email that said Congratulations, you matched at In-N-Out . . . Thank god, I thought I was going to have to settle for Chipotle's but animal style fries, here I come.

@ RF, yes very creepy email, it said what you said, but had a few lines of weird numbers like program code and my name/school etc . . .

But other than that, just weird.

Yeah, it was like the Anons had hacked me and gave me creepy-sounding PC code that I didn't understand (I now remember 2-3 lines of seemingly random numbers, too.)

Then I did this.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqyLA74gmPQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: just being honest.

Still gonna frequent just not post.

Last edited:
this is my last post here, as i felt this was a great resource to help me keep up with my MD counterparts (im a DO), and i dont really care to continue.

Matched my #1 Wake Forest.

You might find it useful in residency and beyond. I have.

If y'all don't mind to post step scores, it would be helpful for future applicants reading.

Thanks guys

N u m b e r O N E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my last post here, as i felt this was a great resource to help me keep up with my MD counterparts (im a DO), and i dont really care to continue.

Matched my #1 Wake Forest.

It's kind of weird you announced that. Just sayin'.

Congrats to everyone on their match!! I want to maintain some anonymity so I'm not going to post where I matched, but it was my #2 and I couldn't be more delighted. I am euphoric, and although I don't post much, I wanted to say thanks to the folks who do, because the info was invaluable and camaraderie is always a plus. Best wishes to everyone for the next 3-4 years, *fist bump*.

1- I'm having a girl, the baby looks healthy, and I'm extactic!!!!
2- I matched: Case Western Reserve University Hospitals and I'm thrilled!

EM/IM here, also! I'm pretty much ecstatic. Can't wait to get started.

Matched to Mississippi. Wasn't my 1st, but I went over the email I sent after the interview and got excited all over again

Hi guys. While applying/interviewing/ranking EM programs, did you guys also apply/interview/rank transitional/prelim/internship programs as a backup plan? Is that a norm? Thanks!

Hi guys. While applying/interviewing/ranking EM programs, did you guys also apply/interview/rank transitional/prelim/internship programs as a backup plan? Is that a norm? Thanks!

Not as an AMG.

EM isn't so competitive yet as to require a backup plan for the typical US applicant.

maybe not for YOU. I know plenty of osteopaths that had a backup and a fair amount of allopaths.

EM isn't so competitive yet as to require a backup plan for the typical US applicant.

Ionno man...I know way too many AMGs from midtier schools with decent numbers, no redflags, 10-12 ranks with a couple cancelled interviews that went unmatched and had to scramble. It's pretty scary to think about it. It used to be that 230s on both steps, above average SLORs would make you a lock to match. Now, I think most people with that profile match but its alarming how many didn't this year. I don't think I would recommend strongly having a backup prelim or something for the average/above average EM applicant but after seeing what some of my friends had to go through this week, I wouldn't judge anyone negatively for doing so.

From the NRMP...87% of us seniors matched...no clue about osteopaths or ppl who were already graduated.

13% is a fairly hefty number. I dont think its competitive enough that most US seniors need to apply to backups, but if youre marginal then I would.

From the NRMP...87% of us seniors matched...no clue about osteopaths or ppl who were already graduated.

13% is a fairly hefty number. I dont think its competitive enough that most US seniors need to apply to backups, but if youre marginal then I would.

Where did you find those numbers? I can't find much info other than the list of programs & how many they matched? I thought more would be released today, maybe im missing it.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables2013.pdf

Look at EM for US Seniors:

1428 of 1640 matched = 87%

Some of those people probably had EM as a backup or applied to multiple specialties. For instance in 2012 there were 1,498 US senior applicants to EM, but when they separate out people who applied to ONLY EM there were 1300. Of those 1300 only 65 didn't match which gives a match rate of 95% to people who only ranked EM programs last year. Data is here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

My school is middle of the road and we matched 23 out of 25 into EM. 1 of those people matched IM and they had ranked that IM program over their EM programs.

Last edited:
Some of those people probably had EM as a backup or applied to multiple specialties. For instance in 2012 there were 1,498 US senior applicants to EM, but when they separate out people who applied to ONLY EM there were 1300. Of those 1300 only 65 didn't match which gives a match rate of 95% to people who only ranked EM programs last year. Data is here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

My school is middle of the road and we matched 23 out of 25 into EM. 1 of those people matched IM and they had ranked that IM program over their EM programs.

:eek:

Several of the folks at my state school matched lower than expected down their list (including myself). Thankfully we all matched but who knows what will happen next year. I was told I was a competitive applicant and would have no problem matching but I went further down my list than I was comfortable. I interview fairly well and had positive feedback during interviews (2 pd's told me there was a spot in their programs for me which turns out wasn't true). I think back to what I could have done differently and I don't really have an answer for it except chosen my away wisely and sought advice from a mentor all along the way. If I could do it again I probably wouldn't have done my away where I did. It was a great program and I loved it but had I done more research and sought advice early on things might have been different. Unfortunately we don't have a home program so I really didnt know who to contact but that's my own fault for not looking into it.

My point is that if you're interested in EM find a mentor ASAP. No one knows what the match will look like next year but find a solid mentor to give you the best chance of matching even if its in a TY. Worst case scenario isn't not matching EM but not matching at all!

My point is that if you're interested in EM find a mentor ASAP. No one knows what the match will look like next year but find a solid mentor to give you the best chance of matching even if its in a TY. Worst case scenario isn't not matching EM but not matching at all!

Definitely with you here. I think the biggest error I made was not getting a mentor who was familiar with the programs (and locations) I was most interested in. I matched way down my list, to a program I'm very happy to be a part of, just not in the location I wanted. Given the brutal nature of this year's match (statistically), I'm counting my blessings.

Part of the reason I slid down my list, I suspect, is coming from a DO school, but I'm sure that doesn't explain all of it. Ah well.

I agree with the above sentiments for the most part. I admit that very early in the application process I was pretty skeptical about the talk of increased competitiveness of EM, however, as the interview season came and went, I definitely changed my tune. This application season definitely solidified any talk/rumors of EM as being considered very competitive. Sure, we can all agree it's not dermatology or integrated plastics, but really nothing with a pretty substantial amount of residency slots across the country is.

Our class had 20+ applying exclusively to EM, with more than a handful being some of the most competitive applicants in our class regardless of specialty choice. These individuals fared extremely well and landed some coveted spots, however we did have a fair amount of pretty strong applicants (230s - 240s Step 1, 240s - 250s Step 2, Solid pre-clinical and clinical grades, good letters and overall pretty normal human beings (lol, an underrated factor IMHO)) who fell much further down their lists than anticipated. We also had at least a couple, if not more, who did not match...and I know that one of these individuals secured what most would consider impressive interviews.

The game has changed.