Emergency Medicine or Psychiatry

damusiel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school student and thinking about a career in healthcare. I was considering the specialties of emergency medicine, or general surgery. Emergency medicine because i always liked horror movies and the adrenaline rush, I am a calm when there is a crisis, and want to help short term. For general surgery, i like the idea of surgery, am not a good communicator, and am good with my hands.

In your opinion,what should i become or do?

Members don't see this ad.

Judging by your 3 posts about what to do with your life, I would worry about the college thing first.

Reactions: 5 users
I am currently a high school student and thinking about a career in healthcare. I was considering the specialties of emergency medicine, or general surgery. Emergency medicine because i always liked horror movies and the adrenaline rush, I am a calm when there is a crisis, and want to help short term. For general surgery, i like the idea of surgery, am not a good communicator, and am good with my hands.

2 things:
Psych = General Surgery? And what do horror movies have to do with EM?

Members don't see this ad :)

As much as my instincts tell me to jump on this guy and tear his question apart, I remember thinking about EM as a freshman in college. This ultimately drove my interest to shadow -> apply to med school -> pursue EM as a specialty -> match into an EM residency. So, you never know.

My advice, there is a big difference between the job of an EM physician and the idea of an EM physician. Make sure you know the difference. Shadow and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm an EM attending. Focus on whether you want to become a doctor in the first place. Seriously.

Reactions: 4 users
You'll have plenty of time to figure this out in med school if you decide you want to be a physician at all. Even for competitive fields, people decide partway through and do fine or take a gap year if they really need research.

Get in to college first, then go shadow and volunteer. You will then get your answer.

I would seriously consider if you want to be a physician in the first place. It is not an easy journey. I work in an ER now just as a tech and it is not like TV. There are real people that sometimes really dying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user