Emergency RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which cycle should I apply for?

• 2021-2022

• 2022-2023

Results are only viewable after voting.

kasiakiwi

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice!! I'm currently working as a nurse in a busy NYC emergency department, and have a wish to go back to medical school. I'm currently finishing up my post-bacc classes while working full time, so my plate is pretty full.
The conundrum I seem to be in is deciding which cycle to apply for! If I apply for the next cycle (2021-2022), I have to find time to manage to take a prep course and master the material for the MCAT while still taking some pre med classes, specifically physics I & II. Those are my last required classes that I'm registered to take Summer 2021.
I could wait another year and apply for the 2022-2023 cycle, but I'd be waiting for another year to space out 2 MCAT attempts.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.9
Post-Bacc GPA: 3.9

The real question is how great are my chances to get in as a second career MD with a high GPA and current clinical experience. Should I be hyper-focused on getting a perfect MCAT, or is average good enough to gain entry into a medium medical school?!

Members don't see this ad.

How does the rest of your application look like, such as in regards to extracurricular activities? I'm an RN, applying this cycle, and I did well on the MCAT, but I only worked and studied for it this year. However, this did lead to me not having enough time to turn in my application early, which you need to keep in mind, because it is very time consuming, and you'd want it in when you are first allowed to. I'd say 2022-2023 unless there is some really compelling reason to do it next year.

Also curious about the rest of your app including clinical and non-clinical volunteering, research, leadership and working with diverse populations.

I don't necessarily recommend MCAT prep courses. You may end up paying/spending time on subjects you don't need to work on. I would take a diagnostic full length before you commit to the course.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
but I'd be waiting for another year to space out 2 MCAT attempts.
Only take the MCAT once. This is your goal. Not only is the test a pain in the *** and expensive, but many MD schools average your attempts and view applicants with > 1 attempt less favorably. MCAT = one and done. You stick to this rule by only taking the test when you are absolutely ready (i.e. scoring what you want to/should be scoring for your desired outcome(s)).

The real question is how great are my chances to get in as a second career MD with a high GPA and current clinical experience. Should I be hyper-focused on getting a perfect MCAT, or is average good enough to gain entry into a medium medical school?!
Career changers with maturity and work ethic are always viewed favorably, and I speak on this from my own personal experience as an applicant a few years ago. Nevertheless, numbers help to open the door. You should never aim for 'average'. Why?
1. Your idea of what is average may be incorrect, and 'average' differs from US MD to US MD. The average at my school is a 514, the average at a school across town is 511. The national average is below both of the aforementioned numbers.
2. If you aim for average, your max outcome will be average, and on your worst day, your score will fall below average (which you don't want).

You are spending significant time and money on your career change and you want to ensure the best possible outcomes for yourself. Take the test when ready, and score as best as you can. If you can do that, doors will open (and also make sure that your EC's are in order).

Reactions: 1 user
Don't take the MCAT until you have finished physics. As others have said, plan to take the test only once, after you have practiced enough to know that you will score well.