Emory Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taehong81

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be most likely going to Emory next year (as long as their financial packages is reasonable). Is anyone going or thinking about going to Emory next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Im thinking about it, but Baylor is cheaper, so unless I get financial aid from Emory or Vanderbilt, based on the schools I have been accepted to so far that I might actually attend, I will probably end up at Baylor.

Emory was the most pleasantly surprising school I visited btw.

Hey Gleevec! Yeah I agree with you, Emory was a medical school that surprised me the most. Before going to Emory, I heard many bad things about it, like the grading system and the joint test system. But when I visited I was very impressed. I liked the facilities, the location, the students, and the training that you get from Grady. If I was in your spot Gleevec, I would most likely choose Baylor too. Good luck wherever you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. (since second round of acceptance went out yesterday)

just bringing this up since emory sent acceptances recently....

I'm thinking about it, but at this point, my top choice is UCLA. It's a lot cheaper and the student population is a lot more diverse. I also like the fact that UCLA has hot chics! haha. Well, I really enjoyed my visit to Emory though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up at Emory next year. ;)

I think I'll mostly likely be at Emory. I loved the school when I visited there and think it would be a great place to be a student. I'm from Atlanta, so it's a good option for me. Who else??

Taleof50,

Are you in Atlanta for undergrad as well?

Hey guys,

I am 95% sure I'll be at Emory next year. It is a great school with great clinical opportunities. I wish I could get a little financial aid though.

For those who are thinking about attending emory this fall, where do you plan to live? Is the campus housing a good value? Do you know any good apartments around the area? Can you get cheaper apartments if you get little away from the campus? I wouldn't mind communting to school for cheaper apartment rates. Thanks for your input.

i heard you definitely need a car there... every student has one. and all the apartments around there are affordable. the grad school dorm looks nice

Clairmont Campus, the grad dorms, seem to be pretty nice. I think it might be easier to just live there, at least first year... that's what i'm thinking as of now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my emory acceptance today. Unbelievably pleasant surprise. I hate to sound sort of sappy here, but it was a pretty emotional experience to see it. To work hard and have a dream school.....and then to get into that dream school, that's a special feeling.

At this point I'm torn between the school that makes the most sense to go to from a fiscal standpoint(MCG), and the school that I would be happier at(emory). I LOVED emory when I was there. For the people holding emory acceptances, what kind of aid are you guys expecting? I just can't wish I could get over the $100,000 price difference......I know emory gives a good bit of grant money, so maybe there will be some for all of us to narrow the difference.

As for housing at emory, clairemont campus seems pretty nice, but sort of pricey, especially if you have a roommate. With a roommate a 2 bedroom was $800 or more a month per person. Surely there are nice places in atlanta to rent a two bedroom and share a pretty decent apartment for $1200 or so($600/each + utilities). Clairemont does seem nice, but not a great value for atlanta.

Originally posted by meanderson

As for housing at emory, clairemont campus seems pretty nice, but sort of pricey, especially if you have a roommate. With a roommate a 2 bedroom was $800 or more a month per person.

Congrats on your acceptance.

Clairmont apartments come either furnished or unfurnished. For 2 bedrooms, a furnished apartment actually costs $707 per person, and an unfurnished one costs $674. This includes all utilities, washer + dryer, parking (in a roofed parking deck), cable, phone line, and ethernet. Still a decent deal for a city like Atlanta.

Congrats on your acceptance meanderson!! Hope to see you in the fall.

Just got my acceptance yesterday. I will most likely be heading to Atlanta, but would like to see a little financial aid come my way.

Super excited to get that letter. I let out a loud "woo-hoo" in the middle of the Univeristy Center and got a lot of stares when my roommate called to give me the news. Hopefully Ill be seeing you guys in the fall.

Congrats menemotxi. What other schools are you considering?

For all those wondering about aid, I did some searching in a few current books at the local bookstore, in addition to comparing these numbers with those in Emory's financial aid info booklet. I think I have a pretty good idea now on the average numbers concerning emory institutional grants.

The average debt for 2001 grads was about 99k. The budget back then was maybe 185-190k. Now it's over 210k. The debt breakdown for 2001 grads showed many students bunched in the 80-120k area. Only 10 out of ~100 students were at > 150k. Princeton review's guide to medical school reports that the average emory student recieves ~20k a year in grant money. Seeing as how emory probably doesn't attract many hstp candidates or underserved area service candidates, I don't think that would skew the numbers a lot. I'm not sure if this figure includes mstp students....that would have an effect.

A look at the financial aid book shows that 5 full tuition scholarships are given each year. I'm assuing these students make up a high % of those graduating with between 0-50k debt at emory. I'm just extremely fortunate to be in at emory and wouldn't expect to be competitive for this type of merit award, but just pointing out that wouldn't skew the numbers so much as to make the other figures meaningless for those who don't get such an award.

I think what it all means is that the financial aid packages here are pretty good. I'm not getting my hopes up though. I'm wondering what the circumstances were of the 10 people in 2001 who graduating owing > 150k. That represents a small % of the class, so what made them different from the 100k average? Looks like the median was around 100k as well. Was their efc really high? Get in off the waitlist at the last minute after all the grant money had been distributed?

If Emory can give me a package that allows me to graduate reasonably close to the average debt level of emory grads then I'm there. Loved the school. Loved the atmosphere. The people were amazing. It was amazing. Loved the area. I could go on and on. I would borrow 125k to go to emory. Maybe even a little more. But it's going to take a good bit of grant money(16-19k/year) to get to that number. That seems like a lot of institutional grant money, and despite what the avg financial aid numbers for emory show, I'm just skeptical that I will win the financial aid game. I could go to my quality state school and come out with 75k in debt. Wouldn't like it as much, but that's life.

I guess what I'm going to be curious about if I don't get a decent aid package by emory standards is *who* does get the grant money. A lot(30% at least I would guess) of emory's class comes off the waitlist. So from a merit perspective, anyone who is accepted during the regular cycle would at least be in the top 70%. Then from a need-based perspective, I don't see how I could be anywhere close to the bottom. I've been working class my whole life and still am. So I guess I would be a little dissapointed if I got an offer that would place me in the top 10% of indebtness upon graduation(based on both merit and need factors). Oh well...I'll stop ranting now.....just wanted to share some financial aid numbers from previous years. Good luck to those who are still waiting on emory!!

Originally posted by menemotxi
Just got my acceptance yesterday. I will most likely be heading to Atlanta, but would like to see a little financial aid come my way.

Super excited to get that letter. I let out a loud "woo-hoo" in the middle of the Univeristy Center and got a lot of stares when my roommate called to give me the news. Hopefully Ill be seeing you guys in the fall.

Congrats on the acceptance! Yeah, fin. aid is the only thing...

for those of you interested in emory... i called to find out when the year starts up...

Emory's orientation for M1s begins on Wednesday, July 21, and classes begin that following Monday, July 26 (SOOO EARLY!).

It starts that early?? Thanks for the info Taleof50. Does it Emory have a week in June where the first and second years show the incoming class different places they can live? Does anyone know when that is?

so no one here got acceptance letters this round? They were supposed to send a bunch this week.

I know other people have asked this, but does anyone know if people get accepted in this final round who's month for acceptance already passed? Or now are we just waiting to see if we are on the large waitlist?

Emory was supposed to send out the last batch of acceptances Monday, but no one I know has gotten one yet. However, I suspect that's due to the large distance between Atlanta and myself. I think it takes almost a week for mail to get here from Emory. Is anyone else closer?

Originally posted by taehong81
Does emory prefer PC or Mac?

?? Both can be found at various locations on campus. PC is probably overall safer wherever you go (Emory or otherwise)though.

Originally posted by taehong81
It starts that early?? Thanks for the info Taleof50. Does it Emory have a week in June where the first and second years show the incoming class different places they can live? Does anyone know when that is?

Yes there is. Early June I presume?

Originally posted by rebeclette
I know other people have asked this, but does anyone know if people get accepted in this final round who's month for acceptance already passed? Or now are we just waiting to see if we are on the large waitlist?

I must admit it's hearsay, but I think there is a one final review for all those not yet admitted.

I interviewed at Emory on 1/28 and really liked the school. I'm still waiting extremely anxiously to hear, but have lost almost all hope. Congratulations to all those admitted! :hardy:

Originally posted by leavesam
I interviewed at Emory on 1/28 and really liked the school. I'm still waiting extremely anxiously to hear, but have lost almost all hope. Congratulations to all those admitted! :hardy:

Talk about losing hope! I interviewed back in October, and no word yet :p

Hahaha, you win. *bowing to CalBeE* However, I don't think you will miss it, considering your numerous acceptances, especially Vanderbilt and UCLA.

interviewed 1/28.. no word here either leavesam.... ahhh...... this is really too bad....

Hey markus, did we meet? I'm the barber from California. :cool:

As I realized in this process...acceptance/waitlist at one school doesn't really tell you much about your chance at another school.

Anyways, if accepted to Emory, I'll consider choosing it over UCLA (Tuition's not an issue, I'm an international student), but if I get placed on the waitlist, I don't think I'll pursue it anymore :(

Nothing at Los Angeles today. It's a waitlist or rejection I bet. I won't pursue it if it's waitlist though...too exhausted to pursue all these waitlists.

I know that 3/8 is chosen as the last mailing date (according to that handout they gave us) for acceptances. However, I emailed Erica Black yesterday to ask about my status, and this is (part of) what she wrote:

quote:
I've been advised not to give any status information because there are some last decisions to be made. I don't want to say anything that might change.

end quote.

Keep in mind that she wrote me this morning. Why would there be "decisions to be made" three days after the supposed last mailing date? So, I'm thinking, and the lack of people posting recent Emory acceptances seems to suggest, that maybe they're a little behind. Hahah... perhaps this is just wishful thinking. :love:

Originally posted by leavesam
I know that 3/8 is chosen as the last mailing date (according to that handout they gave us) for acceptances. However, I emailed Erica Black yesterday to ask about my status, and this is (part of) what she wrote:

quote:
I've been advised not to give any status information because there are some last decisions to be made. I don't want to say anything that might change.

end quote.

Keep in mind that she wrote me this morning. Why would there be "decisions to be made" three days after the supposed last mailing date? So, I'm thinking, and the lack of people posting recent Emory acceptances seems to suggest, that maybe they're a little behind. Hahah... perhaps this is just wishful thinking. :love:

But what if those decisions are for Waitlist vs. Rejection, instead of Acceptance vs. Waitlist? I actually emailed Erica about this just now...

Dammit, CalBeE, you destroyed my last shreds of hope. :love:

Nothing in Minneapolis either. I guess it's over.... :( it's really too bad... CalBeE, can you post what Erica says in reply to your question? thanks

I received an acceptance letter (8.5X11 white envelope sent 1st class) from Emory today, but never got an email letting me know I was accepted. Hang in there, everyone, and good luck. They've apparently thrown us a curveball.

Additional info: Postmark 3/9

To anyone else who was accepted, did Eley put a handwritten note on everyone's letter?

Hey leaves,

I remember you from when I interviewed. Yer a chemical engineer from Caly with license in hairstyling.

I was in in your panel interview.

MenemotXI

Hey dude, I remember you! You're the marathon runner/engineer from U of Tennessee (I think) ! How's everything? Did you hear from Emory?:

Everything's great. On spring break right now in the great state of Texas.

I was fortunate to get a fat envelope in the mail in February.

Any good news?

Awesome, Congratulations!! What are you doing on SDN if you're on spring break? :) Is Emory your first choice? I haven't heard anything yet from Emory.

Originally posted by Tech04
I received an acceptance letter (8.5X11 white envelope sent 1st class) from Emory today, but never got an email letting me know I was accepted. Hang in there, everyone, and good luck. They've apparently thrown us a curveball.

Additional info: Postmark 3/9

To anyone else who was accepted, did Eley put a handwritten note on everyone's letter?

Congrats Tech04. :clap:
I think Dr. Eley did, in fact, write a small note on everyone's acceptance. I had one, as did others who I know got in. Mine was basically 'congrats, hope to see you at emory this fall' or something to that extent.
Will you definitely be at Emory this fall?

I was accepted a couple of months ago and it's definitely one of my top choices. I'm thinking of revisiting to make my final decision though.

This is my reply from Erica: (Dated 3/12)

Hi CalBeE:
I thank you for asking me these questions for clarification - I appreciate your continued interest during this LONG process! Contrary to what you might read on certain websites, everything is going out according to the schedule on the pink sheet in your Viewbook from the interview day. Acceptance letters were mailed on March 8th. Those placed on the alternate list will be notified by email sometime next week (March 15-19). Denial letters will be sent by snail mail (March 22-26), though I hope to get those out next week as well. Everyone who interviewed should know their status by the end of this month.
For those who are on the alternate list, a very specific email will be sent explaining the process. We do not rank our alternate list, or separate it in any way, therefore we are unable to tell applicants where they stand on the alternate list. We will not be able to go to the alternate list until after May 15th, if/when the class size drops below 112 due to withdrawals. We will look at a combination of interview day evaluation, the entire application, and show of interest. At that time, those who are interested in coming to Emory should keep their files updated. The email will clearly explain how to do this.
Those who are accepted will receive emails in the upcoming weeks about Financial Aid, Orientation (7/21), Housing Weekend (6/4-6), and more. We do not have a formal revisit program for all accepted students, however I am happy to speak with anyone who wants to come back (I can set up going to class, lunch with students, etc.).
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, just note I have close to 400 unread emails that I am trying to respond to as well!
Hope you are doing well, wherever you are in the world now!
Best,
Erica

So the postmark was the 9th? If so, I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. When I lived in Atlanta, it always took a week for mail to get to people back home. Good luck! :cool: