Emory Financial Aid on OPUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPMplease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Fall 2010 entering mph and my financial aid award for Emory 2010-2011 was posted today on OPUS. As expected, it is mostly loans; however, there's $4000 for something called the RSPH Practical Experience Grant. Does anyone know if that is related to the practicum? I was just wondering if that is an award I must work to get like federal work study.

Oh and has anyone else gotten their financial aid through OPUS yet?

Members don't see this ad.

that's Emory's version of "work study". that's what the ADAP for epi told me that most students get. however, i still haven't gotten anything on my OPUS about it. did you get an email about it?

I did get an email last night. The title of it was "Emory Financial Aid Awards...Now Available."

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Fall 2010 entering mph and my financial aid award for Emory 2010-2011 was posted today on OPUS. As expected, it is mostly loans; however, there's $4000 for something called the RSPH Practical Experience Grant. Does anyone know if that is related to the practicum? I was just wondering if that is an award I must work to get like federal work study.

Oh and has anyone else gotten their financial aid through OPUS yet?

It's the federal work study award. A lot of students lost their eligibility for FWS between the 08-09 and 09-10 academic years. Emory RSPH solved this by dipping into their deep pockets and shelling out the grant to students with a different title.

Thanks for the clarification both of you. I guess I'll hear more about it at the financial aid session on Visit Day. If not, I'll have to ask.

Hi guys,

As silly as it sounds, I've completely forgotten my Opus log-in information (and thrown out the post-it where it was written). I can't find anywhere on the homepage where it says "Forgot password?" and it will not regenerate a new one from my personal info. Has this happened to anyone else? Any clues how to solve it?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

As silly as it sounds, I've completely forgotten my Opus log-in information (and thrown out the post-it where it was written). I can't find anywhere on the homepage where it says "Forgot password?" and it will not regenerate a new one from my personal info. Has this happened to anyone else? Any clues how to solve it?

Thanks!

All I see is that either you can call the IT HelpDesk at 404-727-7777 or email at [email protected]

just got my financial package... got a little work study and a lot of loans. haha, I didn't really expect anything more than that :p

Anyone see any elusive grant money?

only the "Practical Experience Grant" mentioned above...

hey, sorry, I'm just a little slow. Just got my package.

So I got the RSPH practical experience grant, does that mean "free money"? :)

They also presented sub stafford loan and unsub stafford loan.

Can I just accept the grant, not the loans? I'm a little hesitant to click on the button...

So I got the RSPH practical experience grant, does that mean "free money"? :)

Can I just accept the grant, not the loans? I'm a little hesitant to click on the button...

I explained this above.

i also got my financial aid package from emory today, but it's about $12k short of what i actually need!! i'm confused because i've been awarded grad plus loans from other places to cover living expenses, but not emory. did anyone else get a grad plus loan from emory?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to apply for the Plus loan at Emory. Even though the other schools may not mention it you do have to qualify for the Plus loan (be credit worthy). Its not like Stafford where its solely based on need. The Plus loan requires a credit check.

i also got my financial aid package from emory today, but it's about $12k short of what i actually need!! i'm confused because i've been awarded grad plus loans from other places to cover living expenses, but not emory. did anyone else get a grad plus loan from emory?

I was able to survive off the ~36k in loans (including 4k FWS) because actual tuition is only 24k. Has it changed that much for ya'lls class?

25200 a year just tuition. 476/year in fees.

(for four semester programs) not a huge increase and could be way worse.

should i be worried that i only got an email about them receiving my FAFSA when i turned it in a while ago?

I submitted mine in early jan. and it wasn't processed until late feb.

should i be worried that i only got an email about them receiving my FAFSA when i turned it in a while ago?
I got that today, too. I sent in my FAFSA early January, and they processed (I assume) in February after I sent in missing material. I called Financial Aid about the email, and they said it was nothing to worry about and they're slowly announcing financial aid awards...

My first year my loans got screwed up because I used a private lender and not a recommended one. Someone how my "loan money" got put into a "ghost account" that didn't actually exist. Ultimately, the fall loans weren't disbursed until the end of October, it was a nightmare. If that doesn't happen to you guys, you'll be in good shape.

I was able to survive off the ~36k in loans (including 4k FWS) because actual tuition is only 24k. Has it changed that much for ya'lls class?

Did you take out that much loan every year?

In case anyone was wondering, here is Emory's estimate for 2010-2011:

PT_PIXEL_1.gif
Tuition Expenses 25,200.00
Fees
Living Expenses 18,602.00
Books and Supply Expenses 1,312.00
Transportation Expenses 654.00
Loan Fees 610.00
Health Insurance 2,160.00
Year Total 49,030.00
PT_PIXEL_1.gif

So who did NOT get work-study/RSPH Practicum Experience Grant?

I did not...if I had, I'd definitely be attending Emory. But I'm not so sure now.

I didn't get work-study/RSPH Practical Experience Award either.

Does anyone know what this means as far as work/research opportunities at the CDC? Does CDC only offer research/work opportunities for RSPH students if they're on work-study?

If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. What really attracts me to RSPH is its ties with the CDC.

Thanks in advance.

A few people that I met/hung out with the past few days did not receive the grant. My CDC student tour guide works at the CDC and it was not through work study. From the students I talked to there are non-work study related jobs at the CDC. You just need to make sure you are checking symplicity in August when the postings start going up. The same goes for Research Assistant positions. I can only speak towards my department and what I heard from those in other departments, but there really seems to be a wealth or research going on throughout the school by students. I was told by one current student that if you do not have an RA position its because you don't want one or are not looking.

I was at the visit day yesterday, and it seemed like almost all of the students and alums had work-study jobs at the CDC (or one of the other organizations nearby) and that a majority of the people in the previous classes received work-study. I know that all of the current epi students at the department meeting are RAs at Rollins or work at CDC through work-study. If you don't receive work-study, then you have to volunteer and hope that they'll have money to pay you later on...or at least that's what I interpreted.

I don't know what your research interests are but one of the guys I was walking around with yesterday at the research fair did not receive work study and specifically was asking the tables if there were non-work study positions available and a few definitely had them. I would contact some professors and ask if they had non-work study positions available for this fall before you make a decision. If you really liked the school aside from that aspect I would look into the options for ruling it out.