Emory & Henry DPT 2020 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobsonek

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just received my first interview invite from Emory & Henry. I’m really excited and nervous because this might be my only shot at being accepted into a program. If anyone who’s interviewed there could give me any insight to their interview process I’d really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I just received my first interview invite from Emory & Henry. I’m really excited and nervous because this might be my only shot at being accepted into a program. If anyone who’s interviewed there could give me any insight to their interview process I’d really appreciate it!!
The interview was super relaxed! There’s an individual portion with a faculty member and past student that is more like a conversation and then a group interview with a panel of PTs, professors, students, and other professionals in the area :) it only took about an hour for the whole thing

The interview was super relaxed! There’s an individual portion with a faculty member and past student that is more like a conversation and then a group interview with a panel of PTs, professors, students, and other professionals in the area :) it only took about an hour for the whole thing
What kind of questions do they ask? How should I best prepare myself?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting to hear back whether or not I get invited for their interview in January. Do you know when we're supposed to hear back by?

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

I'm still waiting to hear back whether or not I get invited for their interview in January. Do you know when we're supposed to hear back by?

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile
I received my interview invite last Tuesday (12/3) and heard of a few people on here who also heard that day. I know the RSVP deadline is Friday 12/13, so hopefully you should hear back sometime soon!

What kind of questions do they ask? How should I best prepare myself?
Mostly why you would choose Emory and Henry and why you’re choosing PT. Then the group panel was a mix of those questions, ethical questions and experience questions!

Reactions: 1 user
I just declined my seat in the DPT program for next year so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone else!

Is anyone going to the January 11th interview? I will be there for the meet and greet on the 10th. Also, this might be an odd question but I'm coming from SoCal and I have no idea if the weather out there in Virginia during the time of the interview will be like blizzard weather or just cold (aka not freezing). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone going to the January 11th interview? I will be there for the meet and greet on the 10th. Also, this might be an odd question but I'm coming from SoCal and I have no idea if the weather out there in Virginia during the time of the interview will be like blizzard weather or just cold (aka not freezing). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I’ll be at both the dinner and interview! As far as weather goes, I live in upstate S.C. and it’s been in the 30s-40s here, but next week it’s the high 60s. My weather app shows it being pretty similar in Marion as it’s only about 180mi from me!

Oh gosh. Is the trend in January around the 30s to 40s? In SD we consider cold anything below 60 degrees lol Another question, should I be worried about icy roads? I'll be landing past midnight and will be driving the hour ride to Marion. My folks are concerned about the weather and my safety getting from the airport to the hotel since this is a solo trip.

Honestly I don’t know, I’ve never been to that area of Virginia before. I’d just try and watch weather trends for Marion the week or two leading up to the interview to get an idea!

Did they mention anything about other interviews in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my interview time today! Is anyone else in the 8am slot?

I got an invitation to interview. Has anybody every reschedule an interview before I really want to go?

I got an invitation to interview. Has anybody every reschedule an interview before I really want to go?
I’m not really understanding what you’re asking, I think they’re only offering interviews on the 11th

As in coming in another day for an interview. I have a major conflict on that day and there’s no way I can make it :(

As in coming in another day for an interview. I have a major conflict on that day and there’s no way I can make it :(
I mean it doesn’t hurt to ask but I doubt they’ll let you do another day since there’s a group component

How long do you suppose the interview will be as we will have a solo interview and then a group interview?

How long do you suppose the interview will be as we will have a solo interview and then a group interview?
I was looking at some old threads and people said each interview (the solo and group) lasted about 30 minutes so around 1 hour total

I think it will really just depend on how long it takes everyone to answer all of the questions. Some people take longer than others

Finished my interview around 9 and I don’t think it went well at all :( Good luck to everyone else interviewing today!

Finished my interview around 9 and I don’t think it went well at all :( Good luck to everyone else interviewing today!
Aw! Why do you feel it didn’t go well? I thought it was okay. Not anything super left field but idk

Aw! Why do you feel it didn’t go well? I thought it was okay. Not anything super left field but idk
They just didn’t really ask any of the questions I had prepped answers for so I was scrambling, and I was also super nervous :/ plus I just got a weird vibe from my individual interviewers, like they didn’t really want to be there/like they didn’t want to be interviewing me

I have my interview reschedule to the 17th. How did it go for everyone?

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I was the girl from San Diego and if you were in the group panel first, the two girls who answered the questions answered well. I briefly spoke with Tracie and she said everyone in the group panel from the 8am slot got high marks. I agree the questions were definitely left field. I wasn’t expecting it but I’m certain you did well.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I was the girl from San Diego and if you were in the group panel first, the two girls who answered the questions answered well. I briefly spoke with Tracie and she said everyone in the group panel from the 8am slot got high marks. I agree the questions were definitely left field. I wasn’t expecting it but I’m certain you did well.
I had the individual interview first, then the group after. But thank you and best of luck to you!

I have my interview reschedule to the 17th. How did it go for everyone?
It was good. Very relaxed. You don’t have to worry. The group part asked three questions: 1) what would you do if someone cheated; 2) what was the most challenged thing that has happened to you and I don’t remember the third
Individual interview is a blur but the questions they pulled were from your application. Good luck

It was good. Very relaxed. You don’t have to worry. The group part asked three questions: 1) what would you do if someone cheated; 2) what was the most challenged thing that has happened to you and I don’t remember the third
Individual interview is a blur but the questions they pulled were from your application. Good luck
Should I look the supplemental questions from my application?

Should I look the supplemental questions from my application?
No. They literally just had a sheet of paper they were reading questions off of, I think everyone had the same ones. “Tell us about yourself” “why do you want to be a PT” “why e&h” “identify a time you struggled and how you overcame it” “when’s a time you had to show leadership at school or work”

Just got an email saying that instead of sending out decisions by tomorrow it’ll now be by the end of the month

I haven’t gotten that email :unsure:
I don’t know what you use for email but for some reason my gmail put it in the “promotions” folder instead of the regular inbox. I got it around 9:55 this morning

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Do you mind sharing your stats?
They’re definitely less than stellar but

cGPA: 3.09
pGPA: 2.7-3.1 depending on the school (without the ones I’m currently retaking)
GRE: 148V, 149Q, 3.5W
Observation hours: ~900 outpatient split between 3 different clinics, 40 acute care inpatient
LOR: 1 PT (my clinic director), 1 OT (she was my supervisor for my acute care hours), 2 professors from undergrad (my kinesiology/therapeutic exercise professor and my food as medicine professor)

They’re definitely less than stellar but

cGPA: 3.09
pGPA: 2.7-3.1 depending on the school (without the ones I’m currently retaking)
GRE: 148V, 149Q, 3.5W
Observation hours: ~900 outpatient split between 3 different clinics, 40 acute care inpatient
LOR: 1 PT (my clinic director), 1 OT (she was my supervisor for my acute care hours), 2 professors from undergrad (my kinesiology/therapeutic exercise professor and my food as medicine professor)
Those are not terrible! You definitely have some bright spots especially with your observation hours. I also completed an interview on the 11th and am waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed for the both of us!

Hoping they release acceptances soon so I can drop the chemistry class I’m retaking lol:(

Hoping they release acceptances soon so I can drop the chemistry class I’m retaking lol:(
lmao I was literally thinking the exact same thing! I’m literally checking my email every 10 minutes :’)

Hi! Can anyone give me any information about what was discussed at the information session the night before the interviews? I was unfortunately unable to make it. Anything you think is important is much appreciated.

Hi! Can anyone give me any information about what was discussed at the information session the night before the interviews? I was unfortunately unable to make it. Anything you think is important is much appreciated.
Honestly it was basically just all of the information on their website. They also touched on how integrated the community is into the program and how there’s an “adopt a parent” program where if you join a family will basically act as parents and invite you over for dinners, holidays, etc. They also touched on how the first year you take your anatomy classes with the OT students.

Honestly it was basically just all of the information on their website. They also touched on how integrated the community is into the program and how there’s an “adopt a parent” program where if you join a family will basically act as parents and invite you over for dinners, holidays, etc. They also touched on how the first year you take your anatomy classes with the OT students.
Thank you! I hope you hear back soon :)

Well.. we’ll hear some time this week. Best of luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users