Emory vs. Michigan vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD2020L

Reaction score
Hi all! Was really looking forward to second look days to help me decide between schools- feeling incredibly torn as decision time approaches so turning to this community for insight. Really appreciate any input, thanks all for taking the time to read this!! Also let me know if I’m leaving out other things I should consider.

Michigan Pros:
-Highest ranking/residency director ranking (Unsure much to weight this given step 1 change)
-really liked Ann Arbor, it seems like such a special place
-excellent research opportunities
-Absolutely LOVED my interview day, got a great impression from all the students and faculty, it’s seemed like they really care about there students
-true Pass/Fail
-new facilites
-school spirit/community was amazing
-cost of living is cheapest
-impressive match list/rate

Michigan cons
-the most expensive tuition- will be OOS
-climate, trying not to let something to arbitrary affect my decision but have lived in New England for a while and HATE the cold
-think right now I want to return east coast for residency, does going Midwest puts me at a disadvantage? I may change my mind in 4 years!
-Slightly intimidated by 1 year preclinical
-less diverse patient population/less diversity of cases?? Am I wrong in assuming this?

Emory pros:
-Warmer climate/I love being outside in nature and they talked about plenty of places nearby to do that
-good research/reputation
-more diverse patient population/cases with Grady
-Campus was beautiful
-students seemed happy and very nice
-more students place east coast for residency
-slightly less expensive

Emory cons:
-didn’t really get to experience atlanta/the surrounding area so not sure what to think of it (and don’t think that’s an option now)
-not as highly ranked
-Farthest from family

Maryland pros:
-cheapest option by about 120,000
-diverse patient population/cases
-closest to family
-higher change of east coast residency/residency closer to family

Maryland cons:
-not as highly ranked
-Don’t hear great things about mandatory service requirement
-switching to new curriculum/pass fail next year, don’t love the idea of being a guinea pig
-Safety issues of living in Baltimore
-older facilities
-liked my interview day here the least

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. Again, I really appreciate input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Tough one! Cross off Emory- no advantage over Michigan other than weather. As far as regional advantages in matching, it doesn’t really apply to the top schools. From the Upper Midwest, Michigan, Mayo, U of Chicago, Cleveland Clinic and Northwestern will turn heads anywhere. Any of these play better than Maryland in New York and Boston, except maybe if interested in Emergency Med?

The money is a separate issue, discussed endlessly here on SDN. 120K? $1,000 a month for 10 years, without interest. That’s real money! A very personal decision, and that amount is what I would put up as the max difference between higher/lower ranked schools before going with cheaper option.
A tough but exciting decision! Congratulations on your acceptances, your future is bright whatever your decide. Hurry up and graduate, we need you!

Reactions: 1 users
Go to Michigan lol. In addition to the points you raised, with P/F Step 1 on the horizon it might be wise to maximize your chances of matching competitively by attending the best ranked school

Also, you loved the interview day which is pretty damn important

Reactions: 3 users
Tough one! Cross off Emory- no advantage over Michigan other than weather. As far as regional advantages in matching, it doesn’t really apply to the top schools. From the Upper Midwest, Michigan, Mayo, U of Chicago, Cleveland Clinic and Northwestern will turn heads anywhere. Any of these play better than Maryland in New York and Boston, except maybe if interested in Emergency Med?

The money is a separate issue, discussed endlessly here on SDN. 120K? $1,000 a month for 10 years, without interest. That’s real money! A very personal decision, and that amount is what I would put up as the max difference between higher/lower ranked schools before going with cheaper option.
A tough but exciting decision! Congratulations on your acceptances, your future is bright whatever your decide. Hurry up and graduate, we need you!

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Michigan lol. In addition to the points you raised, with P/F Step 1 on the horizon it might be wise to maximize your chances of matching competitively by attending the best ranked school

Also, you loved the interview day which is pretty damn important
Thank you so much, I am leaning towards Michigan.

Reactions: 1 user
Maryland cons:
-not as highly ranked
-Don’t hear great things about mandatory service requirement
-switching to new curriculum/pass fail next year, don’t love the idea of being a guinea pig
Not that it will really affect your decision but they aren't switching to true pass/fail. At my interview they said it will be the same grading system except instead of saying ABCDF it will be Honors/ High Pass/ Pass/ Fail

Reactions: 1 user