Pharmacy Kid

LCDR
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
pharmacykid.wordpress.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Empagliflozin has shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death in diabetics with cvd, while canagliflozin has an increased risk of bone fractures and leg/foot amputations. Would any prescribers initiate canagliflozin over Empagliflozin knowing this? Do you think canagliflozin will fall off the market eventually?

Rouelle

10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I wonder if over the next few years studies will come out stating that Invokana (and/or Farxiga) is non-inferior to Jardiance with regard to cardiovascular risk reduction. Wouldn't be surprising.

Either way, as the first drug in class to hit the US market , and since I dispense more of it than the other drugs in class, I don't see it going away any time soon.

Reactions: 1 users

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Empagliflozin has shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death in diabetics with cvd, while canagliflozin has an increased risk of bone fractures and leg/foot amputations. Would any prescribers initiate canagliflozin over Empagliflozin knowing this? Do you think canagliflozin will fall off the market eventually?
The Canvas Study published in the NEJM in June showed Invokana also reducted the risk of CVD. It does have increased incidence of amputation. The problem is these drugs are new and we don't know what time will show.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.