This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarlizlynn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Kind of a non-trad here. I'm currently considering DO school, as I've had a sudden spark in interest. Figured I'd look into it a little more.

My problem is, I have extremely minimal background in sciences. I graduated with a BA in Policy Studies concentrating in Health, Crime and Human Services. However, I took the bare minimum required sciences ("Chem for Non-Majors," etc.), due to lack of interest and thinking that I wasn't very good at them.

I've been working full time as an EMT in Central New York (no, not the city) for the past four years, two of which were alongside being full time at university. Over the past few months, there have been some signs pointing towards med school, but I've discounted them due to the aforementioned "not that good in sciences," "I'm not smart enough," "I should have done bio or something similar for undergrad if I wanted to do med school (too little too late)." However, I just had an old friend walk into his life (he had questions about an EMT re-certification), and I learned that the television and film major who has been pretty successful in the field for the past four years just got admitted into a post-bacc for pre-med. So I had a catalyst.

Obviously, there would be a ton of work being a non-science person initially. But I think that I could do it.

Questions:
Should I take some classes at my local community college or university to prepare?
Post-bacc programs! Are those worth it? Or just the classes at the CC or uni?
What are post-bacc programs like for non-pre-med majors? Do they start with the basics and build on those, or do they expect people to come in with the basics like med school would?

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can provide!
~S.

Members don't see this ad.

Take your prerequisites at a good University and get all A’s (preferably letting a hospital or EMS group pay for it...), kill the MCAT, get into a great school, match into Emergency Medicine... bada bing bada boom

It sounds like a DIY-postbacc would fit your needs (that’s what I did). Calculate what your sGPA and cGPA would be getting mostly A’s on the classes you need will be. If they are both >3.3 or so, you’ve got a decent shot. But 100% you need to kill classes and the MCAT.

Hi all! Kind of a non-trad here. I'm currently considering DO school, as I've had a sudden spark in interest. Figured I'd look into it a little more.

My problem is, I have extremely minimal background in sciences. I graduated with a BA in Policy Studies concentrating in Health, Crime and Human Services. However, I took the bare minimum required sciences ("Chem for Non-Majors," etc.), due to lack of interest and thinking that I wasn't very good at them.

I've been working full time as an EMT in Central New York (no, not the city) for the past four years, two of which were alongside being full time at university. Over the past few months, there have been some signs pointing towards med school, but I've discounted them due to the aforementioned "not that good in sciences," "I'm not smart enough," "I should have done bio or something similar for undergrad if I wanted to do med school (too little too late)." However, I just had an old friend walk into his life (he had questions about an EMT re-certification), and I learned that the television and film major who has been pretty successful in the field for the past four years just got admitted into a post-bacc for pre-med. So I had a catalyst.

Obviously, there would be a ton of work being a non-science person initially. But I think that I could do it.

Questions:
Should I take some classes at my local community college or university to prepare?
Post-bacc programs! Are those worth it? Or just the classes at the CC or uni?
What are post-bacc programs like for non-pre-med majors? Do they start with the basics and build on those, or do they expect people to come in with the basics like med school would?

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can provide!
~S.

I have a similar background as you. I went to a uni and graduated with a BA in psych, I worked as an EMT for 2 years, and now I work as a ER/Trauma Tech. I will be starting DO school in August! I took all my prereqs at a community college, no DO school cared I took them at a CC vs a Uni. If your GPA is not very good, then yes, a post-bacc program or SMP would be ideal. Not sure how the programs work, but I'm sure someone will chime in here. Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions, I would be glad to help. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Also from a similar path as you (EMS). Send me a PM if you ever have any questions :) I am in the process of applying this coming cycle so I have suffered through some of the pain already :')

To answer your questions:
1. Preferably a 4 year university. If you can't swing it, CC should be fine. But make sure you do WELL. On that note, go ahead and calculate out your sGPA and cGPA.
2. Do you have any experience taking science courses? Structured programs for post-bacc certificates, although expensive, can provide the structure that might help you.
3. From what I have seen, they complete all of the pre-requs in a 1-2 year period: Biology, chemistry, organic, physics, maybe biochem/psych & sociology since they are both tested on the MCAT now. Some also help with MCAT preparation. Unless you NEED structure like this, it is probably best to save your money and do an informal (on your own) post-bacc :)