EMT during the Pandemic, Clinical Experiences Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1077948

Hi all, given the pandemic I have been volunteering as an EMT, as there are few other opportunities that are allowing volunteers at this time. I am aware that adcoms like @Goro see EMS as glorified taxi-driving, and while I don't share the same sentiments, I also want to build a strong application. I currently have 200+ EMT hours, and am continuing to rack up more. After the pandemic ends, or atleast decreases in severity, I plan on either volunteering at or working for a hospital. Will it be ok that I don't have hospital clinical experience / volunteering until my junior year. I am planning on applying at the end of my senior year? Any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, given the pandemic I have been volunteering as an EMT, as there are few other opportunities that are allowing volunteers at this time. I am aware that adcoms like @Goro see EMS as glorified taxi-driving, and while I don't share the same sentiments, I also want to build a strong application. I currently have 200+ EMT hours, and am continuing to rack up more. After the pandemic ends, or atleast decreases in severity, I plan on either volunteering at or working for a hospital. Will it be ok that I don't have hospital clinical experience / volunteering until my junior year. I am planning on applying at the end of my senior year? Any advice.
My views on EMT have softened over the years

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Goro is a single adcom with an outdated view of EMS that doesn’t represent reality for most EMT providers. You are volunteering in one of the few roles where you are the single sole people responsible for a patient’s well being independently of support (outside of ALS calls of course). Be proud of it.

Reactions: 4 users
After the pandemic ends, or at least decreases in severity, I plan on either volunteering at or working for a hospital. Will it be ok that I don't have hospital clinical experience / volunteering until my junior year. I am planning on applying at the end of my senior year? Any advice.
Completely fine for you to not have hospital-based clinical experience until your junior year. In fact, this is not even required, but having a diversity of clinical experiences is always good (both for application purposes and for your own confirmation that you're going into the right career). Continue to work as an EMT in the mean time. It's important (and often thankless) work. Without you guys, the hospital would probably make me drive patients home after I finish my work :eek:.

Reactions: 3 users