Endocrine Fellow Applications: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey dmdoc,

I see you should be having 7 interviews as per your previous posts???;)

Univ of Nebraska
Baystate
St Louis Univ
Harbor UCLA
SUNY Syracuse
Henry Ford
Georgetown.

How come you said you have only 5??

Members don't see this ad.

I am frustrated already. Is there any hopes of further interviews at this time or should I be looking for alternatives? Will highly appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

I think its still early! I just had three programs finally DOWNLOAD my application last week. They couldn't have even logged in to ERAS if it was still marked "available" on ADTS.

Still, I wish I had a few more interviews too...it might be time to start emailing/calling programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCendo

You are right,I have 7.Didnot schedule 2 yet and so missed it but didnot forget.Wish I had more.

Welcome to the forum

I am frustrated already. Is there any hopes of further interviews at this time or should I be looking for alternatives? Will highly appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

Last year people did get interviews till Feb end,so probably there is some hope
I know the wait is frustrating and as others mentioned there should be more interviews this year bcos of match.
Didnot expect the competition for endo!!!

Goodluck

I think its still early! I just had three programs finally DOWNLOAD my application last week. They couldn't have even logged in to ERAS if it was still marked "available" on ADTS.

When did you apply?I applied on Dec 2nd and all the programs have downloaded

Sorry I've been away for awhile. I've received invites so far to Wash U. St. Louis, Wake Forest, and UAB.

I applied mostly to programs in the southeast to stay close to home and haven't gotten any interviews yet!!!! I am freaking out, anybody else freaking out too??? I am trying not to lose hope, but it's frustrating.

Sorry I've been away for awhile. I’ve received invites so far to Wash U. St. Louis, Wake Forest, and UAB.

Wake Forest was one of the ones that just downloaded my application! Something's fishy here.

Wake downloaded my application on 1-6-09 and redownloaded it on 1-7-09.

I applied mostly to programs in the southeast to stay close to home and haven't gotten any interviews yet!!!! I am freaking out, anybody else freaking out too??? I am trying not to lose hope, but it's frustrating.

Give it two weeks. I am pretty sure that you'll start getting interviews by that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm getting courtesy interviews now. As in, you have some connection there (letter writer or something), but they really don't want you but feel obligated to interview you.

"Congratulations, we'd like to offer you a chance to interview here, but the only day available is midweek, sorry you have to fly across the country (and it'll cost you a billion dollars). Also, dates left are tomorrow, next week and after match day. Still want to come?"

Anyone else gotten one of these?

I think I'm getting courtesy interviews now. As in, you have some connection there (letter writer or something), but they really don't want you but feel obligated to interview you.

"Congratulations, we'd like to offer you a chance to interview here, but the only day available is midweek, sorry you have to fly across the country (and it'll cost you a billion dollars). Also, dates left are tomorrow, next week and after match day. Still want to come?"

I felt that way for 2 of my interviews and the invite was not very inviting.One of them I got it because of my letter writer for sure and have the feeling they have either internal candidates or some one else in their mind.

Any idea about Nebraska Medical center
SUNY upstate at Syracuse &
University of Minnesota -its a 3 yr program:sleep:

I doubt it. Why are they going to waste their time on someone they aren't considering. These interviews usually consist of 6 or more faculty members so they don't have that many dates where they can get every one available. Alternatively, it is possible that they made some offers to interview and some of the first rounders declined and hence the late invite.

I doubt it. Why are they going to waste their time on someone they aren't considering. These interviews usually consist of 6 or more faculty members so they don't have that many dates where they can get every one available. Alternatively, it is possible that they made some offers to interview and some of the first rounders declined and hence the late invite.

Ok. Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. Although...are we already into round 2?

Any idea abt U of Louisville,KY

Dang...you've got a bazillion interviews! You're going to have to start cancelling some soon or you'll have to re-mortgage the house!

How many are you planning on doing in total? Maybe 10? I'm not there yet, but I don't think I can
1. afford or
2. get time off for more than that.

2 interviews under my belt. 7 interviews in one hospital, 5 in the second one. Questions were basically what i expected - Why endocrine? What part of endocrinology? What type of research do you want to do? What are your long-term plans? Tell me about an interesting case. What makes you exceptional? I see that you are interested in *insert extracurricular activity here*, tell me more about that. How do you best learn? Any questions (on average asked this 20 times per interview day)? Also, every interviewer spent a lot, A LOT, of time talking about their program, their research, what makes them unique / special etc.

Treesap: I am probably going to do 10 interviews or so (that's the number of invitations I've got so far). 3 of them are in the city where I live, the rest are all over the place. It's really expensive though, so I may have to cancel at least 2 of the far-away places due to reaching the limit on my credit card... I'm on ambulatory, then elective, so that makes getting time off pretty easy. I can imagine the process being pretty impossible if you're on an inpatient / ICU block...

Dang...you've got a bazillion interviews! You're going to have to start cancelling some soon or you'll have to re-mortgage the house!

How many are you planning on doing in total? Maybe 10? I'm not there yet, but I don't think I can
1. afford or
2. get time off for more than that.

You are right Treesap,the whole process is so expensive .I have 10 invites but couldnot schedule 1 because they have no alternate days available apart from the 2 dates they give.I have scheduled IVs through April not sure if I can go to all but Planning to attend 10..

Dr op ,thanks for sharing

Good luck

I am new to this forum. I am very desperate and hopeless. applyed to 40 endo fellowship programs but didn't receive single interview this means taht I should move on and forget about endo?

Hi, Welcome mana70!

Wow, that was a seriously depressing post. SSRIs for everyone!

I'm still hoping to get some more interviews, what about everyone else? I don't think you can write off the season in January, besides someone said people were getting interviews into February last year. I don't know what these places are looking for in an applicant, obviously not me either.

I hope it goes better, good luck.

I am new to this forum. I am very desperate and hopeless. applyed to 40 endo fellowship programs but didn't receive single interview this means taht I should move on and forget about endo?

That sucks. You may get a few interviews in the coming weeks, but to be honest, to have applied to 40 programs and not to have gotten a single interview by now is not a good sign (in terms of how competitive of a candidate you are). Good luck.

Invitation- Mayo through email.

Rejection from University of Virginia today, invitation from Mayo a week ago. Here's the updated list:

Interviews (10):
Brown, Wash-U in St Louis, NIH, Brigham and Women's, BIDMC/Joslin, Tufts, Northwestern, Baylor, Mount Sinai (NY), Mayo

Rejections (3):
UT Houston
UVA
U Colorado

No news (14):
Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, Yale, U Chicago, Boston Medical Center, Mass General, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, U Penn, Thomas Jefferson, U Wash in Seattle

Rejection from U of virginia here too

Dr Op - you have IVs from big guns.Your credentials might be really really good.When is your interview at Washu

Rejection from U of virginia here too

Dr Op - you have IVs from big guns.Your credentials might be really really good.When is your interview at Washu

Thanks dmdoc. Interviewed at Wash U already - it is a GREAT program! The program director is very enthusiastic, and the rest of the faculty seemed very engaged and honest about the programs. I'm not sure about spreading the clinical responsibilities over two years, but it seems to work for them. Their research is mainly lab-based, but some of the fellows had never done lab until they started there, and are now involved in their own research. There is some clinical research too, but less than some other places. I'd love to go there - but a LOT more interviewing to do before I make up my mind!

Is anyone interviewing on these dates
Uni of Nebraska - Feb 2nd
Harbor -UCLA - Feb 18
Bay state - Mar 10
SUNY syracuse - Mar 12

Just checking?

Thanks for sharing

Thanks dmdoc. Interviewed at Wash U already - it is a GREAT program! The program director is very enthusiastic, and the rest of the faculty seemed very engaged and honest about the programs. I'm not sure about spreading the clinical responsibilities over two years, but it seems to work for them. Their research is mainly lab-based, but some of the fellows had never done lab until they started there, and are now involved in their own research. There is some clinical research too, but less than some other places. I'd love to go there - but a LOT more interviewing to do before I make up my mind!

Is anyone interviewing on these dates
Uni of Nebraska - Feb 2nd
Harbor -UCLA - Feb 18
Bay state - Mar 10
SUNY syracuse - Mar 12

Just checking?

No, but I appear to be following you around the country by a few weeks!

Interviews: Wash U, UAB, wake forest, Tennessee, and UNC

Rejected: Vanderbilt

waiting on: Emory, duke, cincinnati, virginia, washington seattle, michigan

Anybody hear from these places yet?

Rejection from Stanford, interview at Boston Medical Center.

Anyone with advice about TX programs? Specifically UTSW, UT-Houston, and San Antonio....Thanks!

rejection university of colorado,:(

invitations : phoenix, U Wash, and new hampshire :)

Are you guys writing thank you notes to ALL the faculty that interviewed you? Or just the PD and select few?

Are you guys writing thank you notes to ALL the faculty that interviewed you? Or just the PD and select few?

PD only, and maybe some other faculty that impressed me or that I am considering collaborating with.

PD + chief , but I do mention about others in the note to PD.

If it's one of your top-choice programs, I say, "why skimp?" I'd suggest writing a thank you to each faculty member. If you pick and choose, people can realize that some got thank-you's and others didn't. It may seem small and petty -- but it is not like residency where you interview hundreds of candidates. Programs may only interview 10-20 people... (I know we're interviewing ~10). People like to know that you are interested and courteous. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, though :)

Rejection from Yale and UCSF...

Interviews-received in this order: Baystate, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, Emory, Yale, DH, UIC (phone), Mayo, PennSate, UMass-all others via email.

Rejections: UVirginia, BIDMC/Joslin, Cornell.

Last edited:
I would really appreciate if anyone can give thoughts about the program. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.