Endocrine Fellow Applications: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
24, but there's a few I'm not so sure about.

One of my fellow residents applying for gastroenterology told me that people usually apply to 70+! I realize that's a completely different ballgame, but I was curious if everyone else was throwing a really wide net?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely recommend applying to more programs.Since endo is in the match,the equation would be different compared to previously when positions were on a rolling basis.And definitely with every year getting accepted to a fellowship position gets more competitive.If you have done some research ,definitely you should be in a position to elaborate it at the time of your interview.Hope this helps.gl.

I was recently told, that programs will start sending invites on january 2009

Members don't see this ad :)
....but where to start ? Im an intern at a community hospital. I have nothing to work with. Id love to do research, but i doubt I'll find something in endocrine here.

Electives outside the hospital are a possibility, but thats in 2nd year. What can I do in my first year ? Please help guys......

27 applications, 2 interviews so far (Joslin and BWH)...

ZRF80: There are a lot of clinical endocrinology programs out there that do not require a lot of research experience. Try to get your elective time early in your second year, and spend it in endocrine so that you will get a letter of recommendation from an endocrinologist. Do you know any academic endocrinologists (at your medical school, for example)? Then e-mail them and see if they have a small project - chart review, review article etc that you can help them with. If you have any exciting patients with endocrine problems (or other diagnoses), then write it up as a case report or a poster presentation at your local ACP meeting or something similar. Intern year is busy, but if you find a mentor in your specialty of choice, you should be able to do a small project to put on your CV. Good luck!!

Got an invite from Wash U St. Louis today!

Did anybody get interviews from these prog and any idea how they are n how tough to really get in

University of Nebraska
Harbor-UCLA
Bay State Medical center
St Louis University
I am an IMG from a community program,doing some research but no publications yet.

I was told abt this forum by one of my colleagues, great way of keeping in touch of the happenings around application time. I found the threads from last years pretty helpful and the tips by experienced ones...Adam and endogal were helpful..Thx
I have applied to a ton of programs, havent heard from any yet. :(
I see that a few of few have started getting interviews...good luck

Last edited:
Endogal
Appreciate your tips.
Is it useful to write to programs that I have applied, while waiting to hear about interview invites?
Thx

I was told abt this forum by one of my colleagues, great way of keeping in touch of the happenings around application time. I found the threads from last years pretty helpful and the tips by experienced ones...Adam and endogal were helpful..Thx
I have applied to a ton of programs, havent heard from any yet. :(
I see that a few of few have started getting interviews...good luck

Not that I know, for sure, but I think it is still too early to lose heart! BIDMC/Joslin, MGH, BWH, etc - these programs historically interview very early. Before the match, they used to complete their interviews by early January!

I don't believe my program has sent out any interview invites, yet - and I think many programs are similar in that respect. I think once the holidays are over, people will start getting their acts together ^_^

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody get interviews from these prog and any idea how they are n how tough to really get in

University of Nebraska
Harbor-UCLA
Bay State Medical center
St Louis University
I am an IMG from a community program,doing some research but no publications yet.

I have one at SLU. Do you have interviews at these other places too??
I am IMG from Univ based with some research. Haven't heard from the rest on your list here yet!!!

I have one at SLU. Do you have interviews at these other places too??
I am IMG from Univ based with some research. Haven't heard from the rest on your list here yet!!!

When is your IV at SLU?I have it on 30th Jan.
I have interviews at the places mentioned above

As interviews (hopefully) approach, I'm trying to figure out what to expect from interview day.

Anyone know of good resources about fellowship interview experiences? I've hunted on SDN and haven't found anything specific, like interview feedback we had for residency. Ideas, or anyone have good, bad, ugly experiences to share?

Happy holidays and happy new year to all:)
Hopefully in Jan we will get more IV ..thats what the fellows are saying.
Please Keep posting and if any one attends interviews, please share the experience.

Good luck

Do you mind sharing your credentials

Hey, FMG, good USMLE scores (98-99-99), top 5 residency program, next to zero research (a couple of review articles only), plenty of clinical experience though.

Also got interviews at Brown and NIH!

I have no idea what to expect though - we did "mock interviews" at my residency program, and it was basically all about what research do you want to do, and why, and where, and with who, and what's in store for the future etc. Pretty much what I expected, although I hadn't prepared my answers as well as I should've! Anyone know what the interview days are like?

Seriously? Mock interviews? I have to sneak around to GO to fellowship interviews, good thing my fellow residents are more accomodating!

No ones keen on sharing interview experiences I guess, although its still early. If you're applying to 3-year research focused spots, your program is probably spot on. Past residents probably have some experience with the types of questions they ask, hopefully its as laid back as the residency process.

Buckle up and get ready! :)
Fellowship interviews (for the most part) are much more involved than residency interviews.

I averaged ~8 interviews per program (20-45 minutes, each) with a range of 4-11 interviews/program.

I highly recommend mock interviews - just so you can organize your thoughts (without being too scripted) and be ready to encounter various personalities.

When I was a chief resident, I conducted mock interviews and was always astonished at what residents would answer (ie: things that could be very unflattering/abrasive/patronizing) - and more suprisingly, they had no idea that they could be construed negatively. Sometimes you need that outside perspective to shine the light on ya...

The questions I faced ranged from the dreaded/repetitive "what questions do you have...what questions do you have...what ques.." to being pimped about pathophys, to being grilled about my research, to being asked to "design an experiment" on-the-spot *sigh*. The majority of questions are benign, but the days are long. It is such an important day - because they want to see if you are a good fit with them.

Good luck everyone (and know EVERYTHING on your CV - it's all fair game)!

Buckle up and get ready! :)
Fellowship interviews (for the most part) are much more involved than residency interviews.

I averaged ~8 interviews per program (20-45 minutes, each) with a range of 4-11 interviews/program.

I highly recommend mock interviews - just so you can organize your thoughts (without being too scripted) and be ready to encounter various personalities.

When I was a chief resident, I conducted mock interviews and was always astonished at what residents would answer (ie: things that could be very unflattering/abrasive/patronizing) - and more suprisingly, they had no idea that they could be construed negatively. Sometimes you need that outside perspective to shine the light on ya...

The questions I faced ranged from the dreaded/repetitive "what questions do you have...what questions do you have...what ques.." to being pimped about pathophys, to being grilled about my research, to being asked to "design an experiment" on-the-spot *sigh*. The majority of questions are benign, but the days are long. It is such an important day - because they want to see if you are a good fit with them.

Good luck everyone (and know EVERYTHING on your CV - it's all fair game)!

Thanks and thats helpful.On an average how many interviews one has to attend to have a fair chance of matching.Having said that I know it depends on the CV,interview process .I knew someone with 1 interview who matched and one with 8 -didnt match but just wanted to have an idea.
When asked abt "design an experiment"on the spot - is it the topic of ur interest or do they give u a topic.I hate such questions!!!!!!!!

No activity for a long time
Where is every body??Still in the holiday spirits
Is anyone attending the interview soon?
Please keep posting and share the experiences

Good luck

hi there
I was on vacation so had not written for some days, besides I haven't got any more invitations except for the one at harbor UCLA... awaiting for more inpatiently....:cool:

now that holidays are over hopefully we all will hear from the programs :)

keep in touch

Wow, I'm surprised. Why do they have to interview you 8 times?

Last edited:
How can we approach programs to consider our applications. Is it okay to email them or would it be better to call them?

If we do either one - what do we write/ talk to them about how to consider our applications?:confused::confused::confused:

Pls need some input regarding this!!

hi everyone im new to the thread....applying for endo as well.
I have one interview invite at St. Vincent's Manhattan. Anyone else heard from annnnnyyyy NY/NJ/Penn programs.......just waiting...no rejections....:)

Invite form
SUNY upstate syracuse - first from NY
Did any body hear from any east programs

COngrats Dr Op
Got an invite from Henry Ford and they gave me only one date in April ,not sure though.May be I am their back up candidate
The invites so far are random
Havent heard from Chicago programs which is where I want to be

Congrats dmdoc on HFH.

when did they call you?

Do you have any visa issues? I believe they mention both H1 and J1 but always match GC.

Rejection from Georgetown on a Saturday. Nice.

Any idea about Georgetown in DC?

Well if you didn't get a rejection today, that's a good sign. At least you know they're looking at applications, invites soon probably.

Well if you didn't get a rejection today, that's a good sign. At least you know they're looking at applications, invites soon probably.

Got an invite today.Do you know anything about the program -
is it competitive?They have 2 spots and couldnot see who their fellows are.
That will give us an idea

Is anyone attending the interviews soon?
I have applied to 80 programs ,so far have 5 invites.

When is ur SLU interview?
If its sooner could you please share your experience?

I have in Feb.

HFH is supposed to best of Michigan Programs. I had a friend who completed 3 yrs ago. Had good things to say.

Is anyone attending the interviews soon?
I have applied to 80 programs ,so far have 5 invites.

80 programs! Wow, there's only 120 total!

I did my first interview 10 days ago or so. I don't want to give away too much info to identify me or the program.

I was pretty surprised by the format. As said before it was a FULL day of interviews. They all asked me the SAME questions, got pimped more than expected.
Why do you want to go into this specialty?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years (3 years, 5 years)?
Present an interesting case.
What are your strengths?
What are you looking for in a program?
Why did you apply here?
And of course, do you have any questions (x 12)?

Interestingly, there was absolutely NOTHING about me. Nobody bothered to "sell" the program to me, nothing about the city, why they think they're great, etc. It was not enjoyable, I was in the airport bar ASAP.

I got the feeling that they're interviewing a TON because of the match this year (only the second season). I hope this is helpful if you haven't yet interviewed, PM me with other Qs if needed.

Thanks Treesap --thats helpful

Does any one want to share their stats -
No of programs applied
No of interviews

Hope I am not the only one who has applied to 80,I know its a lot but didnt want to take any chance

Thanks Treesap --thats helpful

Does any one want to share their stats -
No of programs applied
No of interviews

Hope I am not the only one who has applied to 80,I know its a lot but didnt want to take any chance

Applied to 27 (which I thought was excessive, but I too wanted to be sure to match somewhere! :scared: )

Thanks treesap for the input - my first interview is 1/15, so it's time to get prepared I guess.

Here's the low-down - to be updated:

Interviews (9):
Brown, Wash-U in St Louis, NIH, Brigham and Women's, BIDMC/Joslin, Tufts, Northwestern, Baylor, Mount Sinai (NY)

Rejections (1):
UT Houston

No news (17):
Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, U Colorado, Yale, U Chicago, Boston Medical Cetner, Mass General, Johns Hopkins, Mayo, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, U Penn, Thomas Jefferson, UVA, U Wash in Seattle

I have in Feb.

HFH is supposed to best of Michigan Programs. I had a friend who completed 3 yrs ago. Had good things to say.

As a UM person, I have got to contradict this :) I didn't apply to HFH and don't know much about it - but I gotta stick up for the home team, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.