Endocrine fellowship after 3 years Primary care.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM2fellow

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Planning to apply for endocrine this year after 3 years of primary care experience. Always wanted to do it , but didn’t due to personal reasons. I have great step scores, a couple case reports from residency and one book chapter( none endocrine though)
I have a few questions
1 . I make pretty decent salary, but just need a break from primary care business. How are salaries for endocrine in big cities and anything thus boosts income ?
2. Old LORs from my PD and attendings from residency would work or I need new ones from them? I think eras says I can access my old ones on my account.
3. Would I need new case reports and such to help with my chances ? As I will be applying in my home state and close by only due to family reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Endocrine salaries are comparable to primary care. Definitely not a field you do for the money. Defining "big cities" and the sort of job you want is probably the hardest part - they'll be a lot lower in academics in NYC than in private practice an hour outside of San Antonio.

2) Letters with a recent date are generally preferred

3) Not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to do some endocrine relevant stuff. There's tons of endocrine conferences (well, most years) that accept posters, though easier to do as a resident than an attending.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Endocrine salaries are comparable to primary care. Definitely not a field you do for the money. Defining "big cities" and the sort of job you want is probably the hardest part - they'll be a lot lower in academics in NYC than in private practice an hour outside of San Antonio.

2) Letters with a recent date are generally preferred

3) Not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to do some endocrine relevant stuff. There's tons of endocrine conferences (well, most years) that accept posters, though easier to do as a resident than an attending.
Thanks for the information :)