Engineering to Med Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EngineeringAli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a civil engineer that wants to get into medical school particularly a DO school. My GPA is not that high, at 3.1. I have taken a lot of science courses due to me being a civil engneer ( chem, physics, and one bio class). I was wondering if there were post baccs out there that would take me. I am particularly interested in hunters post bacc, due to it being in nyc ( where i live). Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am a civil engineer that wants to get into medical school particularly a DO school. My GPA is not that high, at 3.1. I have taken a lot of science courses due to me being a civil engneer ( chem, physics, and one bio class). I was wondering if there were post baccs out there that would take me. I am particularly interested in hunters post bacc, due to it being in nyc ( where i live). Please help!
You can do a DIY post bacc at a CC or a university close to you... If you can bring up that GPA to a 3.3+ by getting As and retaking a few classes you had Cs on, you will be good for most DO school as long as you do well in the MCAT (27+)...

Last edited:
You can take classes anywhere that will let you enroll. Formal post-bac programs may offer a little more guidance but typically charge a very high premium. Look into CUNY schools that will let you take classes. Many in NYC opt for NYU or Columbia hoping the brand name will help with admissions but you aren't really a student at NYU/Columbia. Find a place where you can take classes and save money.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do a DIY post bacc at a CC or a university close to you... If you can bring up that GPA to a 3.3+ by getting As and retaking a few classes you had Cs on, you will be good for most DO school as long as you do well in the MCAT (27+)...[/QUOT
You can do a DIY post bacc at a CC or a university close to you... If you can bring up that GPA to a 3.3+ by getting As and retaking a few classes you had Cs on, you will be good for most DO school as long as you do well in the MCAT (27+)...

Okay so here are my grades for sciences

Chem 1: B+
Chem 2: A-
Physics: B+
Physics 2: B-
Cal 1: A
Statistics: A
Sociology: B+

So i need bio 1/2 and orgo 1/2. I would also like to take biochem and psycology.

What is the best course for me. I also have student loans I am paying off from undergrad, so i would need additional loans to pay for the classes I need. What is my best course of action? How can I get finacial aid? Thank you so much for the help!!

Take classes at the most convenient/inexpensive place. I would be surprised if Osteopathic schools dinged you for taking classes at CC. Keep getting high marks. Take the MCAT. You can get financial aid from the institution but it will be in the form of loans. See if they offer loans for part time students / non degree students. If they only offer loans to degree seeking students sign up for a degree program and then don't complete it.

Take classes at the most convenient/inexpensive place. I would be surprised if Osteopathic schools dinged you for taking classes at CC. Keep getting high marks. Take the MCAT. You can get financial aid from the institution but it will be in the form of loans. See if they offer loans for part time students / non degree students. If they only offer loans to degree seeking students sign up for a degree program and then don't complete it.
Thanks!!! Would the DO program care if i didnt complete the 2nd bachelors?

Your science grades for DO are not bad... No need to retake these classes... Try to get A/A- on the remaining prereqs (bio 1&2, orgo 1&2, biochem and psychology). Like the poster above me said, DO schools won't look down on classes taken at CC. I had a few myself and got accepted at both DO/MD. If there are non science classes you got C or lower, you can retake a couple of them because DO school will replace these grades with your most recent ones. The goal is to get both your c/sGPA at 3.3+.

I don't know much about financial aid...

Your science grades for DO are not bad... No need to retake these classes... Try to get A/A- on the remaining prereqs (bio 1&2, orgo 1&2, biochem and psychology). Like the poster above me said, DO schools won't look down on classes taken at CC. I had a few myself and got accepted at both DO/MD. If there are non science classes you got C or lower, you can retake a couple of them because DO school will replace these grades with your most recent ones. The goal is to get both your c/sGPA at 3.3+.

I don't know much about financial aid...

The classes i got low grades in were other engineering courses such as programmng and statics. Should i still retake those? Also how will i get a committee letter for DO school? Thank so much again! I really appreciate it!!

The classes i got low grades in were other engineering courses such as programmng and statics. Should i still retake those? Also how will i get a committee letter for DO school? Thank so much again! I really appreciate it!!
If they are engineering classes, no need to retake them, but you definitely need to get A on your remaining prereqs... You don't need a committee letter for the most DO schools (if not all) since you are a nontrad student... I think Nova ask for one, but they are ok as most other schools if you get 2 letters from science prof and 1 from a physician (preferably DO). Good luck!

Post-bacs are a dime-a-dozen. Start googling!!

If they are engineering classes, no need to retake them, but you definitely need to get A on your remaining prereqs... You don't need a committee letter for the most DO schools (if not all) since you are a nontrad student... I think Nova ask for one, but they are ok as most other schools if you get 2 letters from science prof and 1 from a physician (preferably DO). Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I will be applying to all the CUNY's available to get my pre-reqs done. Hopefully everything will work out. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user