English pre-require outside US/Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mei14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm applying to Canada/US dental school.
Does anyone know English course that are taken outside Canada/US will or will not be accepted? (ex: take in China, Russia..)
I am going back to my hometown (Taiwan)this summer and want to take some summer courses.
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm applying to Canada/US dental school.
Does anyone know English course that are taken outside Canada/US will or will not be accepted? (ex: take in China, Russia..)
I am going back to my hometown (Taiwan)this summer and want to take some summer courses.
Thank you in advance!
Some schools will accept it for the pre-reqs, some only as electives and some won't. For the ones that will you normally have to get it evaluated by some institute (such as ECE or WES) for the school to accept it and for AADSAS to process it and upload to your application.
Check on the school's admission part for EVERY school that you plan on applying to. Some schools you might want to even call (I applied to a school hat didn't have anything on their website and was denied because of not having enough upper level credits done IN the US...)
Goodluck.

Reactions: 1 user
Kind if like taking Chinese in Bangladesh.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably okay. What they really care about is that your lab science courses are taken in the US or Canada because most non-professional bachelor's programs outside of America (especially in Europe) offer science courses that are too narrowly focused, are less rigorous, and/or are not designed for pre-med/pre-dent students. However, it is expected that you take a writing or literature course designed for native speakers rather than a course that merely teaches the language. You don't want admissions officers to question your basic ability to speak the language, so make it clear that the course you take in Taiwan is comparable to something a native English speaker would take at an American university.

But the best policy, in my opinion, is not to do anything that requires you to explain yourself to the admissions committees. Why even take the risk of not meeting the basic requirements if you don't have to? If you want to take summer courses in Taiwan to boost your applicant profile, take art, ethics, or other non-requisite courses that you can tie into dentistry in your application.

Thank you guys a lot for all the information.
Yah..I see that I shouldn't take the risk to do my re-req in Asian country. I'll stay in Canada for my summer course then.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Wise choice. It will definitely make your life easier.