You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Army Enlisted to Medical School?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I have found that I could apply for Nursing, and PA schools while enlisted, and commission. Does anybody know if there is a program that I can go to medical school in a similar way?
There is! It’s called the enlisted to medical degree preparatory program, and I am in cohort 4! It’s an awesome program.
This is the website: Uniformed Services University
I am Navy but I can answer any questions you have about it. If they are Army specific I can get any answers I don’t have from the Army folks in my cohort.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you commission after the end of med school, or the residency? Are fellowships available?
You commission before starting medical school. Residency and fellowship works the same way as it does for any other HPSP/USUHS grad. Fellowships are available, but most docs have to do a utilization tour between residency and fellowship. Some go straight through, but it’s a small number since there are not a ton of spots for each fellowship. But that’s military GME, not something unique to this program.
Essentially, this program is a postbacc and an SMP. The first year you take all the med school prereqs and the MCAT. Then while applying to med school, you take graduate courses in biochem, anatomy, physiology, etc. You are required to apply to USUHS, are guaranteed an interview, and are given priority for admission if you meet the requirements of the program (3.0/500). You are also allowed to apply to civilian schools, but you’re own your own there. If you decide to attend a civilian school (one or two people usually do), you must apply for HPSP.
The program covers the cost of your tuition, an in-person Kaplan course, your MCAT, and the initial amcas primary fee. Once you matriculate at a medical school, you become just like any other military med student.
Seems like a good deal. And with the exception of some med schools, they are all pretty similar, from what I have found. If chosen, I would likely go through USUHS. Seems like it would make things a bit simpler. Also, do you know what I would commission as?
Just like any other med student coming into the military, you commission as an O-1E prior to starting med school, then promote to O-3E upon graduation. It's a very cool program. If you want more details just ask or PM me. And most people go through USUHS, since the pay is significantly higher than going HPSP and most of us are planning on staying in until retirement anyway. But some people don't.
What's the service obligation for the program? I see people are required to apply to USUHS, which is already 7 post residency. Extra obligation makes me a little wary.
The FAQ just says "The Services (Army, Navy, Air Force) will determine the incurred commitment and will publish this information in their program announcements."
The FAQ just says "The Services (Army, Navy, Air Force) will determine the incurred commitment and will publish this information in their program announcements."
What's the service obligation for the program. I see people are required to apply to USUHS, which is already 7 post residency. Extra obligation makes me a little wary.
The FAQ just says "The Services (Army, Navy, Air Force) will determine the incurred commitment and will publish this information in their program announcements."
There is a 5 year obligation, but it is not on top of any obligation incurred by USUHS or HPSP (at least for the Navy). It is an adso while you are enlisted in the prep program that is replaced when you sign your officer contract. So if you go to USUHS, your obligation is only 7 years, and if you do HPSP it’s 4.
You only serve out the 5 years if you fail to get into med school (this has happened twice in the entire program, and they are given multiple cycles to reapply), and 2 of the 5 years are served concurrently with the 2 year prep program. It’s not a bad deal.
Yeah, I keep expecting there to be a catch (one thing being enlisted for 6 years has taught me is to never trust something that seems too good to be true). But other than some minor annoyances, it’s been awesome.That is an excellent deal.
They were in the process of creating this when I was going through USUHS. I'm really glad it came to fruition and that it continues to be a value-add program. Congrats on getting accepted. I know the number of quality applicants continues to rise each year.
They were in the process of creating this when I was going through USUHS. I'm really glad it came to fruition and that it continues to be a value-add program. Congrats on getting accepted. I know the number of quality applicants continues to rise each year.
Thanks. It’s been a crazy year. I will say they did an excellent job of prepping us for the MCAT and application cycle. Everyone from the previous cohorts have said that the graduate year is amazing prep for M1, so I’m looking forward to starting that in a couple weeks.
68Whiskey
U.S. Army
Were you accepted into USUHS as well? What school did you decide on?I was enlisted and accepted to medical school while active duty. I was accepted to HPSP and start school next week. What would you like to know?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the MCAT twice and turned my primary in around mid September and verified in October, so I was super late to the party. Still, I did interview at USUHS and received several interviews in Texas. I was placed on the alternate list at USUHS, which is their backup waitlist, so I applied to HPSP with a Texas med school acceptance in hand.
68Whiskey
U.S. Army
Does HPSP cover any medical school?I took the MCAT twice and turned my primary in around mid September and verified in October, so I was super late to the party. Still, I did interview at USUHS and received several interviews in Texas. I was placed on the alternate list at USUHS, which is their backup waitlist, so I applied to HPSP with a Texas med school acceptance in hand.
Does HPSP cover any medical school?
Any accredited medical school (MD or DO) in the US or Puerto Rico.
Does HPSP cover any medical school?
Like USArmyHPSP said above, HPSP will pay your tuition and fees at any real US MD or DO school, so the Caribbean is out. It also pays anything required by the school: basic tools, health insurance, sometimes a laptop, and also gives you $2,2XX/month. Since you are prior service you can also use your GI Bill simultaneously. I am going to use the Chapter 30, which is $1,8XX dollars/month and can be topped up before you ETS. I payed $600 and increased the amount by $150/month. Once the Ch 30 is up, I heard there is a way to receive an additional 12 months of the Post 9/11, so I will try to do that the last few months of year 4.
68Whiskey
U.S. Army
Do you do a fellowship before or after going into the military?They were in the process of creating this when I was going through USUHS. I'm really glad it came to fruition and that it continues to be a value-add program. Congrats on getting accepted. I know the number of quality applicants continues to rise each year.
So, Tuition is not an issue at all?
No. Doesnt't matter if you go to a Texas school where the tuition is under 20k or Duke where it's 55K.
Modt fellowships are done after joining or once you get out of the military completelyDo you do a fellowship before or after going into the military?
68Whiskey
U.S. Army
What are some notable difference between HPSP, and USUHS, other than the school location(s)No. Doesnt't matter if you go to a Texas school where the tuition is under 20k or Duke where it's 55K.
What are some notable difference between HPSP, and USUHS, other than the school location(s)
Commitment (4 vs 7 years)
Military duties—at USUHS you wear a uniform every day and complete your PRT and annual trainings, plus the occasional formation; with HPSP, other than the 45 days per year that you’re on active duty, you’re a civilian
Pay—you get paid a lot more at USUHS
Matching—USUHS grads are guaranteed a military internship while HPSP grads are not
Probably missing some stuff but it’s late and I’m tired
If I apply while in the Army, would I have to stay in the Army, or could I go to another branch?
If you are almost done with your contract you could switch services. I looked into it a little bit and it's a pain. I had 2 years left before I could ETS and figured there was no way I would get it approved.
If you are almost done with your contract you could switch services. I looked into it a little bit and it's a pain. I had 2 years left before I could ETS and figured there was no way I would get it approved.
You can also apply HSCP and transfer to the Navy even if you’re not at the end of your contract. It’s competitive though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
68Whiskey
U.S. Army
Do you know how that would be done?You can also apply HSCP and transfer to the Navy even if you’re not at the end of your contract. It’s competitive though.
Do you know how that would be done?
I know a couple people trying to do it right now from the Army. I can ask them when classes start up again.
Commitment (4 vs 7 years)
Military duties—at USUHS you wear a uniform every day and complete your PRT and annual trainings, plus the occasional formation; with HPSP, other than the 45 days per year that you’re on active duty, you’re a civilian
Pay—you get paid a lot more at USUHS
Matching—USUHS grads are guaranteed a military internship while HPSP grads are not
Probably missing some stuff but it’s late and I’m tired
All HPSP grads get an internship. You're not eligible for a medical license without that. Otherwise correct.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
All HPSP grads get an internship. You're not eligible for a medical license without that. Otherwise correct.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Right. I said military internship, meaning at a military program. HPSP grads may have to complete theirs at a civilian program.
Not in the Army. Can't speak to the other services.Right. I said military internship, meaning at a military program. HPSP grads may have to complete theirs at a civilian program.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Military Service Options For Every Step of the Aspiring Physician's Path - The Military PhysicianDo you know how that would be done?
Not in the Army. Can't speak to the other services.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Might be just Navy then.
68Whiskey
U.S. Army
What rank will you have after you finish med school, and residency?Might be just Navy then.
What rank will you have after you finish med school, and residency?
You promote to O-3 after medical school. Not entirely sure about residency, but I'm guessing O-4. The ship sup docs I worked for were O-4s.
Everyone promotes to O4 six years after O3, barring felony convictions, fitness test failures, or other drama.You promote to O-3 after medical school. Not entirely sure about residency, but I'm guessing O-4. The ship sup docs I worked for were O-4s.
That’s what I had heard but never read anything about it.Everyone promotes to O4 six years after O3, barring felony convictions, fitness test failures, or other drama.
I’ve even seen people fail their BCA and pick up O4Everyone promotes to O4 six years after O3, barring felony convictions, fitness test failures, or other drama.

68Whiskey
U.S. Army
Not a bad deal. Out of curiosity, how difficult was it to get the residency you wanted?I’ve even seen people fail their BCA and pick up O4![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a bad deal. Out of curiosity, how difficult was it to get the residency you wanted?
Depends on your definition of hard and impossible to quantify because it varies widely by year, specialty, service. I was very fortunate that my year group needed a lot of ortho spots and thankfully I had set myself up for the opportunity to get one via doing well on all of my tests/STEP exams and rotations at med school.
All you can do is work your tail off to do the best you can and then you’ll be able to maximize the opportunity if it arises for you. If not then you may just have to wait a year or 3 and reapply
68Whiskey
U.S. Army
I was looking at either Cardiology, Oncology, or Infectious Disease. Assuming there will be limited slots for all.Depends on your definition of hard and impossible to quantify because it varies widely by year, specialty, service. I was very fortunate that my year group needed a lot of ortho spots and thankfully I had set myself up for the opportunity to get one via doing well on all of my tests/STEP exams and rotations at med school.
All you can do is work your tail off to do the best you can and then you’ll be able to maximize the opportunity if it arises for you. If not then you may just have to wait a year or 3 and reapply
Assume there will be limited spots for everything. If you can't handle the possibility of not getting one of them then the military route is not for you. If you primarily want to serve and can be happy in a specialty you may not have planned on when you signed up then go for it. For instance....all I knew was that I wanted to be a doctor in the military....hopefully something surgical. Ortho evolved as I went through the process. Don't set a very specific plan for yourself 9 years down the road. You have to be willing to adapt and change otherwise you are setting yourself up for bitterness and regretI was looking at either Cardiology, Oncology, or Infectious Disease. Assuming there will be limited slots for all.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 3K