• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

windham44

10+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am writing a few essays for entrance into about 3 colleges in North Jersey. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best way to write an entrance essay? Does it have to be formal? Do I have to use the MLA format? Please some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

awk

AWK
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Sure. There is no formal method to write an admission essay. It should, however, be well written and free of errors. An essay should state anything about yourself you want the admission commitees to know that can't be found elsewhere on your application. I just wrote one this week and I simply wrote about what I have been doing with my life besides school. If you can make it humorous and fun to read (I know its hard) because those people read about 2000 essays. If yours stands out it will help you. Also if you suck at editing, sentance structure, and flow I would suggest sending your essay into a editing service to clean it up. This way you can focus on writing your thoughts and not have to worry about all the grammar crap. I used essayedge.com and they are very helpful.

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Good advice from Awk.

I think at this level they're just looking for evidence that you can communicate in a reasonably coherent manner. Definitely avoid any grammar/spelling errors (obviously). Also don't use abbreviations that are often seen in email (honestly, I have seen essays with things like 'b4' for 'before' and 'cuz' for 'because'). Your posts don't look like this, so I think it won't be a problem for you.

Talk about why you want to go to the school and what your educational/professional goals are long-term. You seem serious & focused on what you want to do, and this will come across positively in your essay. If there is something that you really like about a particular school (for example, you're interested in majoring in history and they have a well-respected history program), it's also a good idea to mention it in the essay.

Don't stress too much about this; it shouldn't be a really big deal at this level. Good luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.