EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by QClinician, Feb 26, 2012.

1. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I, too, have been using all old PsychPrep, AATBS, and Academic Review exams that were handed down to me. Most of them are dated 2015. The point of working on the questions is not so much the content materials (although it is very important), but to learn how to take the test. That was one of my biggest problem with not being able to read the questions carefully and answering them wrong. I last took the AATBS test about a year ago or longer and I was consistently scoring between 44-53%. Then a friend of mine, became my coach and helped me with how to read the questions better. I have been taking the test in order and according to Dr. Jablon and AATBS people, they said their tests' difficulty increases in each exam so it is important to start with 1 or A and move up in order. I noticed AATBS exam 1 was easy and straightforward and as I am now on Exam 4, the questions are convulated.

My practice test scores are now at 58-59%. I noticed that I'll put a question mark on one of the answers and it is usually the correct one, so I am working on making sure that I don't doubt myself or second guess. I think I have gotten better with reading the questions carefully but still have a lot more work to do.

I take two practice tests a week in timed mode to strengthen my stamina and endurance. in between test days, I work on reviewing the rationale for the incorrect and correct answers. Rationale also helps with studying information I don't know. In addition, I also answer 25-50 questions a day. And spend about 25% each day reviewing summary of the content domain.

Is there any recent retired questions? the one floating around is so old but was wondering if it is still good enough.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I would recommend you take the practice test in timed mode with no distraction and in a similar testing center mode. I take my exam at the local college library since it has a set up similar to the testing center. Read the AATBS material, take the test each week, and then work on improving your test taking strategy.

4. Moonlight1

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I wanted to share my experience in case it would help anyone else. I passed the EPPP today with a score of 622.

I started studying 6 months ago but seriously 10 weeks ago. I primarily studied with PsychPrep materials from 2009. I listened to the audio while following along with the books thru section 8. I started taking the PsychPrep tests right away, 25 questions at a time and then studying the rationals. I had taken PsychPrep tests A-D as well as taken A and B a second time by the time I was 4 weeks out from the test. The last month I bought a 30 day subscription to AR (tip: discounts on holidays). I wanted more current materials to review DSM 5 changes and newer questions using the computer-based testing. In the last month I took 7 more practice tests in exam mode as well as PsychPrep Test E on paper. I would take a practice test and then spend 2-4 days reviewing the rationals and identifying weaknesses based on my performance where I would study the book material more intensely. My scores on AR 2 weeks out were 71.55% (on 2 exams). My AR score 1 week out was 71.11%. I got 140/200 on PsychPrep E 5 days out. Finally, I got a 78.22% on AR 2 days out. I took the final practice test at a slower pace which worked better for me, personally. I studied a few hours the day before but focused on relaxation, exercise, and sleep. My exam wasn't scheduled till 2:45pm, so I made sure to get on a schedule of sleeping-in during the days leading up to the exam in order to be fresh at the time of the test. The day of I focused on eating a healthy meal with sufficient protein and drank Poweraide Zero. I also stretched because I had been getting sore sitting so much while studying. I took the test at a slower pace. I actually only had 6 minutes left to review. A lot of people take it more quickly, and then go back in review. That just didn't work as well from me. I want to encourage people to find what works for them and not worry if that happens to be taking it slow. Good luck!

5. Polly Wolly

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Just passed the EPPP... though it was close, 519

Studied 4 months, 10hr a week, and the last 3 weeks i bumped it up to 20hrs a week.
    I work full-time and have 2 small children. Being away from my family to studying has been difficult on all of us.

I used aatbs and psych prep materials to study, and I also took their practice exams. My scores averaged at 65% (60%-68%).
    I felt like i was learning, but it was not evident in my practice scores. On the Retired EPPP, i scored 77%

To me, the EPPP felt similar to the prep companies practice exams. Content in general was recognizable. There is no way I could have answered some of the questions without studying. I learned a lot and freshened up on previously learned concepts. I feel many questions on the EPPP were more detailed than my study materials covered, and the answer choices often had two that I was torn between. Because of this, I knew that I was close and it could go either way. My version of the test had straight forward wording, and was easier than the prep companies in that regard. In general, i did not feel it was tricky, but it wasn't easy either. It was exhausting. I did not have time for a break. At my seat, I did stretch, close my eyes, and take some deep breaths. I also wrote a positive message to myself on the white board. I used the highlighting and strike-through tools. I only flagged items (30ish) that I thought more time may help me resolve, but I did not have time to go through them.

Thank you previous posters for sharing your experiences. It helped me feel not so alone in this process. Best of luck to all who are studying. You will make it through.

6. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Congratulations to the ones who have passed recently.

Anyone or know of anyone who purchased the exam book from Modern Psychologist? I came across the site for the retired questions and noticed this. Wondered if anyone has any thoughts or opinion?

7. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I try to avoid financing conspiracy theorists.

8. foreverbull

2+ Year Member

I haven't seen it, but it's free now, I thought, and if it had been free when I was studying, I would've checked it out. The more accessible study resources, the better, regardless of the source.

9. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I didn’t think the outline was helpful to me and yes, it is free. I didn’t understand much of it. I did purchased the 3 exams (225 questions each) for $50 from modern psychologist website. I have been scoring 66-67% on those. It might be higher because there was an error on one of question’s answer. It’s supposed to be similar to 2018 questions seen on EPPP.

I’m planning to purchase the assessment test from AATBS. It’s a one test that I can used to determined how I’ll do on the exam. I’m taking the exam soon.

I might be overworrying and driving myself crazy, but I need reassurance. From any of you. :)

According to psychprep website, I should be getting 123+ correct which is equivalent to 70%. So I'm assuming the 123 is the raw score. So if I’m getting above that correct which for me has been 130-149ish correct, I’m still good, right!?!?

I’ve been using Aatbs materials now and threw out psych prep after two years of not passing. I went to the 4 day workshop two weeks ago and they were phenomenal!!!!!! It was exactly what I needed and I think it helped improved my practice test scores.

I think what I’m worried about is that I’m doing well and the day of the test... I get them all wrong or forget or blank out. :(

Thanks everyone! I’m sorry for being over anxious. But I hope y’all understand.

10. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Was the EPPP test prior to 2011 200 questions with 25 protest questions?

11. ClinicalTears

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Welp, finally got around to taking it.

Passed (644). AATBS material and practice tests (68, 65, 63, 63).

The actual EPPP was in no way close to any of the practice materials IMO. I felt I had to reason through most of the answers to eliminate, rather than have one jump out at me like the practice tests.

In short, **** this test and it’s momma.

Any recommendations for CPLEE material? I will not have access to hand-me-downs. :\

12. GoPokes

GoPokes Post-Doc
    7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Ok guys, I may be asking for some reassurance here.

I've officially scheduled the exam for Sept 6th (I'd probably put it off further, but have to do it that week for my job)

I've been studying with AATBS written materials and various hand-me-down practice exams. I also purchased the unlimited exams from Taylor Study Method.

My scores here more recently have been in the low-mid 60's, a few passes or close (70, 73, 69.5) and a 78% on the 250 retired questions from modern psychologist. From looking at this thread, it feels like I'm in a mostly similar place to those who passed. I can't help but worry that I'm not ready for some reason.

I plan to take the PEPPO and PEPPO2 soon just to see. My hope is that I won't fail them and shake my confidence even more. This is feeling like one of those things in life where you'll likely never feel totally ready.

#961 GoPokes, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  13. EPPPhereIcome

I have been looking everywhere and have not found the "perfect answer," LOL, so I want to ask. I am about to purchase the practice test access from either psychprep, AATBS, or AR. Would any of you recommend one over the other regarding the similarity of their test questions to the actual exam? AR looks good right now because of the study mode and explanation of the answers, but I have really enjoyed the psycprep audio. I have not used any AATBS materials yet.

14. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Highly recommend AATBS. It can be overwhelming and intimidating but it will help you with improving your test taking strategy. It was close enough to the actual exam. AR is similar to AATBS and some of the questions are exactly the same. I have used PsychPrep, AR, AATBS, Prepjet. I used sample test from Taylor Method.

EPPPhereIcome likes this.
  15. FJones

This has been my favorite forum as I prepped for the EPPP. I passed yesterday with a pretty high score (90 NY). May have overdone it, but didn't want to under do it. Started AATBS practice tests in the low 50%. Study areas I missed and general study, listened to tapes, googled answers I didn't know, and made a list of stuff I wasn't getting. After about a month test scores went up to mid 60's, Did more of the same for another month and reviewed the list of stuff I wasn't getting, and eventually scores went up again to mid 70's / low 80's. Took 7 of the 8 AATBS test twice and looked at questions from other older courses and quizlet. I have dyslexia which was a curse and a blessing as my auditory memory is pretty good, but would sometimes misread words in a question or an answer.

Not an easy test and felt like a gave a decent answers for most questions and some I just didn't have any idea. But like I read on here a lot, if you put in the time and study the way you know you learn you can do it. .I continued make progress about every 3 or 4 practice tests moving from 50's to 60's to 70's on the practice tests. Sending all who are read this my best wishes and encouragement.

Therapist4Chnge likes this.
  16. EPPPhereIcome

Thanks for the help. This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks again.

17. EPPPhereIcome

One last question for everyone. Sorry to be a bother. I am looking at Academic Review, and I really like their testing program as it has a link to further detail on the topic. However, I have read that AATBS is supposed to be more accurate regarding their test questions and the exam. Both programs offer good rationales for the answers, but AATBS does not offer links to the topic. I am really struggling to decide what would be the best plan. Any further suggestions?

18. WisNeuro

Psychologist
    It's been some time, but I use strictly hand me down AR materials. It was all chapter overviews and 4 practice tests. It was more than enough to get me there with a couple weeks of studying and taking and reviewing practice tests.

Therapist4Chnge likes this.
  19. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    You pretty much answer your own question. You know exactly what you need, go for it. I made the mistake myself. For the past 3 years, I knew I needed a tutor or classroom setting type of learning for the EPPP, but took people's advice to just take practice tests over and over.. Then I took the 4 day workshop, and I told myself, "This is exactly what I needed, why didn't I do it before?"

AATBS provide rationales but it won't provide the links. If you have AATBS reading materials or other companies' materials, you can always refer to it. And there's always google. More people have high success with AATBS than other companies. But AR is similar. You can't go wrong -- it is not so much the content, but the knowing the test taking strategies. You have to be fluid across all domains because everything interrelates.

20. WisNeuro

Psychologist
    Do you get a discount for saying this? ;)

21. EPPPhereIcome

Thanks again. I am probably overthinking it.

22. proudvegan

2+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Lol Oops. was I not supposed to say that? :-o

23. WisNeuro

Psychologist
    I was more curious if there is actually data to back that up, or it's what they claim. Because the scant data there is would suggest that the opposite is actually the case.

Are you studying too much for the EPPP?

24. SDpsych

Does anyone have more recent AATBS material that they are selling or willing to give away for free? I have some older psych prep material and had been taking practice tests on AR, but after taking the EPPP yesterday and failing, I felt that I was not prepared. I am feeling very discouraged and must pass ASAP. Thanks!

25. singasongofjoy

Psychologist 2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Thanks for sharing. This quote from that article is telling: Just 15 programs — 13 of them PsyD programs — accounted for almost 39 percent of EPPP failures.

26. GoPokes

GoPokes Post-Doc
    7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Hi all!!

Just passed the exam yesterday (yay!) with a 572. I thought I'd add a bit to this thread since it has been so helpful for me throughout this process.

My job bought the AATBS written materials, which I think were helpful for the first go through, but honestly seemed to go into WAY more detail in most areas than was actually necessary. I purchased the AATBS pre-test thing (the exam to get your baseline or whatever) and scored something dismal like 44% or something. I got some hand-me-down audio lectures that (I think) came from PsychPrep, and I found these very helpful for listening to in the car, while walking the dog, or doing something else.

I'll add to previous advice: take practice exams. Practice exams were by far the most helpful in learning the style of questions and the other nuances associated with this exam. I also found it helpful to create small "cheat sheets" for the various sections, as these allowed me to continue rehearsal when I started doing more in-depth study on other areas. No time spent on ethics is wasted. I feel like these questions are the most likely to trip you up or present you with an unfamiliar situation or ethical issue. I think it's also worthwhile to give diagnosis/abnormal a good amount of time due to the sheer proportion of the exam devoted to this area, and I spent quite a bit of time on developmental as mostly all of my training/practice has been with adults.

I'll say I also bought the Taylor Study Method exam-only package. I found these helpful for identifying areas that I still consistently had weaknesses in, and it made it a bit easier to review rationales and things for answers I missed. It took a lot longer to score and identify weakness areas for other old practice tests I had since I had to score them myself. As far as the quality of the TSM exams, I felt like they certainly helped me prepare but I sort of feel like they purposely try to be overly convoluted and attempt to "trip you up" more than the actual exam does. I found the actual exam to be much more straightforward in its questions and answers, and the highlighting/strikethrough features are definitely helpful.

One last thing I'd mention is when you're taking the exam, don't freak out if you don't take the whole time. When I submitted my exam I still had something like 90 minutes left. I've always been a bit of a fast test taker, so this wasn't too surprising for me personally. Oh, and one last thing, I noticed often that I would switch my answer away from the correct answer. When you're taking exams, try to take note of when you've switched an answer. You may be surprised to find that you're often changing your right answer to a wrong one. Hope that helps!! This exam is definitely doable, and if I can pass it I have full faith that you can too.