EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by QClinician, Feb 26, 2012.

1. proudvegan

Psychologist
    I, too, have been using all old PsychPrep, AATBS, and Academic Review exams that were handed down to me. Most of them are dated 2015. The point of working on the questions is not so much the content materials (although it is very important), but to learn how to take the test. That was one of my biggest problem with not being able to read the questions carefully and answering them wrong. I last took the AATBS test about a year ago or longer and I was consistently scoring between 44-53%. Then a friend of mine, became my coach and helped me with how to read the questions better. I have been taking the test in order and according to Dr. Jablon and AATBS people, they said their tests' difficulty increases in each exam so it is important to start with 1 or A and move up in order. I noticed AATBS exam 1 was easy and straightforward and as I am now on Exam 4, the questions are convulated.

My practice test scores are now at 58-59%. I noticed that I'll put a question mark on one of the answers and it is usually the correct one, so I am working on making sure that I don't doubt myself or second guess. I think I have gotten better with reading the questions carefully but still have a lot more work to do.

I take two practice tests a week in timed mode to strengthen my stamina and endurance. in between test days, I work on reviewing the rationale for the incorrect and correct answers. Rationale also helps with studying information I don't know. In addition, I also answer 25-50 questions a day. And spend about 25% each day reviewing summary of the content domain.

Is there any recent retired questions? the one floating around is so old but was wondering if it is still good enough.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. proudvegan

Psychologist
    I would recommend you take the practice test in timed mode with no distraction and in a similar testing center mode. I take my exam at the local college library since it has a set up similar to the testing center. Read the AATBS material, take the test each week, and then work on improving your test taking strategy.

4. Moonlight1

Psychology Student
    I wanted to share my experience in case it would help anyone else. I passed the EPPP today with a score of 622.

I started studying 6 months ago but seriously 10 weeks ago. I primarily studied with PsychPrep materials from 2009. I listened to the audio while following along with the books thru section 8. I started taking the PsychPrep tests right away, 25 questions at a time and then studying the rationals. I had taken PsychPrep tests A-D as well as taken A and B a second time by the time I was 4 weeks out from the test. The last month I bought a 30 day subscription to AR (tip: discounts on holidays). I wanted more current materials to review DSM 5 changes and newer questions using the computer-based testing. In the last month I took 7 more practice tests in exam mode as well as PsychPrep Test E on paper. I would take a practice test and then spend 2-4 days reviewing the rationals and identifying weaknesses based on my performance where I would study the book material more intensely. My scores on AR 2 weeks out were 71.55% (on 2 exams). My AR score 1 week out was 71.11%. I got 140/200 on PsychPrep E 5 days out. Finally, I got a 78.22% on AR 2 days out. I took the final practice test at a slower pace which worked better for me, personally. I studied a few hours the day before but focused on relaxation, exercise, and sleep. My exam wasn't scheduled till 2:45pm, so I made sure to get on a schedule of sleeping-in during the days leading up to the exam in order to be fresh at the time of the test. The day of I focused on eating a healthy meal with sufficient protein and drank Poweraide Zero. I also stretched because I had been getting sore sitting so much while studying. I took the test at a slower pace. I actually only had 6 minutes left to review. A lot of people take it more quickly, and then go back in review. That just didn't work as well from me. I want to encourage people to find what works for them and not worry if that happens to be taking it slow. Good luck!

5. Polly Wolly

Psychology Student
    Just passed the EPPP... though it was close, 519

Studied 4 months, 10hr a week, and the last 3 weeks i bumped it up to 20hrs a week.
    I work full-time and have 2 small children. Being away from my family to studying has been difficult on all of us.

I used aatbs and psych prep materials to study, and I also took their practice exams. My scores averaged at 65% (60%-68%).
    I felt like i was learning, but it was not evident in my practice scores. On the Retired EPPP, i scored 77%

To me, the EPPP felt similar to the prep companies practice exams. Content in general was recognizable. There is no way I could have answered some of the questions without studying. I learned a lot and freshened up on previously learned concepts. I feel many questions on the EPPP were more detailed than my study materials covered, and the answer choices often had two that I was torn between. Because of this, I knew that I was close and it could go either way. My version of the test had straight forward wording, and was easier than the prep companies in that regard. In general, i did not feel it was tricky, but it wasn't easy either. It was exhausting. I did not have time for a break. At my seat, I did stretch, close my eyes, and take some deep breaths. I also wrote a positive message to myself on the white board. I used the highlighting and strike-through tools. I only flagged items (30ish) that I thought more time may help me resolve, but I did not have time to go through them.

Thank you previous posters for sharing your experiences. It helped me feel not so alone in this process. Best of luck to all who are studying. You will make it through.

6. proudvegan

Psychologist
    Congratulations to the ones who have passed recently.

Anyone or know of anyone who purchased the exam book from Modern Psychologist? I came across the site for the retired questions and noticed this. Wondered if anyone has any thoughts or opinion?

7. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    I try to avoid financing conspiracy theorists.

8. foreverbull

I haven't seen it, but it's free now, I thought, and if it had been free when I was studying, I would've checked it out. The more accessible study resources, the better, regardless of the source.

9. proudvegan

Psychologist
    I didn’t think the outline was helpful to me and yes, it is free. I didn’t understand much of it. I did purchased the 3 exams (225 questions each) for $50 from modern psychologist website. I have been scoring 66-67% on those. It might be higher because there was an error on one of question’s answer. It’s supposed to be similar to 2018 questions seen on EPPP.

I’m planning to purchase the assessment test from AATBS. It’s a one test that I can used to determined how I’ll do on the exam. I’m taking the exam soon.

I might be overworrying and driving myself crazy, but I need reassurance. From any of you. :)

According to psychprep website, I should be getting 123+ correct which is equivalent to 70%. So I'm assuming the 123 is the raw score. So if I’m getting above that correct which for me has been 130-149ish correct, I’m still good, right!?!?

I’ve been using Aatbs materials now and threw out psych prep after two years of not passing. I went to the 4 day workshop two weeks ago and they were phenomenal!!!!!! It was exactly what I needed and I think it helped improved my practice test scores.

I think what I’m worried about is that I’m doing well and the day of the test... I get them all wrong or forget or blank out. :(

Thanks everyone! I’m sorry for being over anxious. But I hope y’all understand.

10. proudvegan

Psychologist
    Was the EPPP test prior to 2011 200 questions with 25 protest questions?