Equivalent structures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teleologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these equivalent structures? Copied from my book.

ederepeg.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by equivalent? Do you mean enantiomers, stereoisomers, configurational, constitutional?

You didn't chair flip it.

They are equivalent structures. Both (trans)1-chloro-2-methylcyclohexane, right?

Try drawing them as flat structures. You'll see they're the same. The Cl can be seen as "up" or "down" depending on your point of view.... but it's always opposite the CH3. Can be either Axial or Equatorial (will be both as it is constantly chair flipping). This is true for both substituents.

EDIT: Incorrect, see below.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean are both trans-1-choro-2-methylcyclohexane?
They are both rans-1-choro-2-methylcyclohexane, but they are not equivalent due to their stereochemistry. Hint, R/S.
Dont ask me more about it. I wont explain what is R/S system.

They are both rans-1-choro-2-methylcyclohexane, but they are not equivalent due to their stereochemistry. Hint, R/S.
Dont ask me more about it. I wont explain what is R/S system.
I stand corrected.
Pen and paper helps one see

I stand corrected.
Pen and paper helps one see
Hi, it is not like I am being an a**h*** to the original poster. R/S is the very basic of organic chemistry. The reason i gave a hint instead of going over the R/S system is that the original poster really needs to work on the R/S system himself. I intentionally pointed out where he did not understand, so he could go over the topic himself. It is for his own benefit. When I was taking the orgo class and had something I did not understand, my professor always gave me some sort of hints instead of giving out the answers directly. This really helped me open up my mind when it came to attack orgo questions. Another thing is that these very basics of organic chem are the essentials one must have a solid understanding before going on to the later materials. Otherwise, it would be just a simple nightmare. One last thing, since you have mentioned, how do i post drawings and pics?

"Upload a file"

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 47
Thanks guys for the help and calm down everyone; I just took my first orgo class today.