ERAS 2017-2018 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone comment on Arizona- Tucson program? I sensed bad vibes of malignancy for some reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone has an idea about Emory clinical investigator track? Is it worth it to spend an extra year?

Anyone has an idea about Emory clinical investigator track? Is it worth it to spend an extra year?
Absolutely not!!!
Have a friend graduated from that program and he is currently practicing general cardiologist in his private clinic; all what he remembers two years spent for scut work and outdated research theories.
Would spend those years in a meaningful experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys rank
U of Minnesota
UT Houston
UCLA
Baylor
Cornell
UMKC
Northshore- Chicago

What do you think when PD says we are considering your candidacy highly? Being an IMG, it gives me hope. Too optimistic?

Ignore it. They may actually be honest, but there are programs out there that try to get applicants to rank them highly so the match works in their favor. Likewise, ignore silence from a program, some have a no contact policy.

How do you guys rank
U of Minnesota
UT Houston
UCLA
Baylor
Cornell
UMKC
Northshore- Chicago

Which program did you feel you'd fit best, both professionally and personally? UCLA likely has the strongest academic cred, but it's pretty academic/research oriented program and the clinical side seemed just ok, if you're not into research you may not be happy there. Baylor is fine but I'd put it ahead of UT houston.

Reactions: 1 users
Second year fellow here, any questions ? I am at a good university program in the east coast.

Would appreciate the forums insights on these programs as I finalize my list.

Jefferson
Baylor
UPENN
VCU
UVA
Medstar Georgetown
GW

Thanks in Advance!

Would appreciate the forums insights on these programs as I finalize my list.

Jefferson
Baylor
UPENN
VCU
UVA
Medstar Georgetown
GW

Thanks in Advance!

Penn is a notch above these other places from a purely “academic reputation” standpoint, whatever that means. My impression was that Penn was one of the top 5 programs in the country for someone interested in academics in terms of well-roundedness of the training and different sub-specialty strengths (Close to or on par with Duke, CCF, Columbia etc).

Any thoughts on Temple VS Lankenau? Not sure about advanced training yet ( may be interventional or heart failure)

Second year fellow here, any questions ? I am at a good university program in the east coast.
Thank you for your participation! How should we approach our top 3 programs on the rank list? Should we tell the first program that they are number one?

Thank you for your participation! How should we approach our top 3 programs on the rank list? Should we tell the first program that they are number one?

Very important question, you have to be careful here. Cardiology is a small world, you dont want to close doors in the future. Your number one program definetely tell them you are my #1 choice, your 2 and 3, make it clear they are high in your rank list, but don't tell them they are #1, you can use other words. Because if they rank you to match, and you lied, it wont reflect well. Just have that in mind. Be smart and play the game, but dont lie.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on these programs?
Jefferson
Penn State
Case Western
Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center

My concerns:
Case Western western seemed not too enthusiastic to be there. Also, they spend their entire first year at the VA which seemed not that busy.
Georgetown's fellows seemed strong but one of the fellows mentioned that they dont have a structural program because the attendings dont want to be putting competition out into the community. That seems a bit crazy to me and concerns me that an academic center would have that mentality. Worried that mentality would leak into the rest of the program.
Jefferson's HF program only recently restarted.

Hi. Can anyone let me know how to rank these, or at least what stands out above the others (reputation, strength of training, fellow satisfaction)? Interested in interventional.

Rutgers NJMS
Rochester
Iowa
Arizona (Tucson)
SLU
UTMB (Galviston)
UBuffalo
UMissouri (columbia)
UConn (Farmington)

Rochester and Iowa stands out above the rest to me on that list

It's that time of the year again. Done with interviews. Can anyone help with ROL or comments on any of programs. Having difficulty deciding between #1 and 2 mostly

UT Houston
Nebraska
Lehigh Valley
Grand Rapids
U of I Peoria
Geisenger
Creighton

Interested in getting best general Cardiology training. Future goals unclear at this point, probably something non-invasive maybe imaging or HF.

Nebraska and UT Houston, then the rest.

Hey guys, any thoughts between:

USF Vs University of Kentucky Vs Miami Mt Sinai?

I have not interviewed at either of those places. But looks pretty straightforward.
UK > USF > Mt Sinai Miami

Any thoughts between Univ of Kentucky vs Univ of Louisville vs Univ of Cincinnati vs Univ of Nebraska

Do anyone has any insider info on Mount Sinai Beth Israel, NY? When is it going to close and what will happen to the fellows there? Would it be scary to match to a downsized almost dying hospital?

Dear all,

A few of the current cardiology fellows feel compelled to write this to all those who applied and interviewed that UF Jax cardiovascular fellowship. We feel that we should be honest about the current situation of the program. The cardiology fellowship is on probation. Attached is the ACGME letter received by the program which outlines the reasons the probationary accreditation, including, lack of education, service over education, and fear of retaliation. We want you to know everything before making your ranking decisions. This is nothing new for the program, this culture has existed for a long time.

Below are 2 postings from other sdn members. We just want you the applicant to make an informed decision.

1. "At the University of Florida Jacksonville the PD likes to brag that it's a "fellow run" program. What that actually means is the cardiology fellows must personally write the notes and orders on every patient. The residents are not allowed to do any of that because they don't trust their own residents. This means welcome to being an intern again!"

Available at: Cardiology Program Impressions

2. "There are a number of things that I feel obligated to let everyone know regarding UF Jacksonville Cardiology program
1.) I am writing to protect candidates, I have nothing to gain from my comments. There is no cardiology program that is so competitive that you should subject yourselves to this particular program.
2.) This program is not the same as the nationally ranked Gainesville program
3.) You will be a poorly respected super resident
4.) You will leave without appropriate procedural skills and will not be comfortable in even simple cath. This is a very serious problem. I urge all of you who are considering taking the interview to be very cautious. Outwardly it appears to be a good program. Do NOT be duped. There are other options out there
5.) They are unresponsive to the fellows' requests for any sort of change, i.e. nothing has changed in 20 years
6.) You cannot leave for rotations outside of the institution
7.) You are only there to do their work- you are viewed as a guest thus the emphasis is not on your education.
8.) You will have a very hard time going elsewhere for further training at good institutions, esp competitive programs at top places for further sub-specialization

I graduated many years ago and urge caution...."

Available at: Official 2012-2013 Cardiology fellowship application cycle

I am not surprised. My friend was eating my brain about that place for the longest time. He passed out that place way back when and he won't stop talking about it. I felt something weird during my interview but they hide it very well.

Do anyone has any insider info on Mount Sinai Beth Israel, NY? When is it going to close and what will happen to the fellows there? Would it be scary to match to a downsized almost dying hospital?

I have the same question man!! Also, as per NRMP report they went unmatched 2/4.. did they tell you anything about first years??

6581CBB7-4293-498E-BF9A-F20199955C03.png
6581CBB7-4293-498E-BF9A-F20199955C03.png 6581CBB7-4293-498E-BF9A-F20199955C03.png
really? when did they go unmatched?

Not really, my friend is doing it... it doesn't help in any research career these days.. I know that they have hard time recruiting fellows as most applicants don't like to spend an extra year in lab work for nothing

Last edited:
Wayne
Hartford Hosp
UTMB
WVU
Creighton

Future plan intervention

Anyone have any thoughts on creighton or U of I Peoria

Both of them are pretty similar. I felt creighton was slightly stronger in interventional, whereas peoria was better in imaging. Creighton has better winters :)

How do you guys rank
U of Minnesota
UT Houston
UCLA
Baylor
Cornell
UMKC
Northshore- Chicago
What an impressive list, don't know all the programs but from what I know about these places
U of Minnesota
UCLA
UT Houston
CORNELL
BAYLOR
UMKC
NORTHSHORE

Although I would based ranking also on what you plan to do and what location you are more interested in

Mayo Arizona is a much stronger program. Lahey clinic has more of a community feel. It's good if you are interested in EP.

Thanks. I felt that they're both solid community programs with good training in EP and echo. To me the only difference was the Mayo name.

What do you think about USF Tampa compared to those two? Appreciate your input.

Thanks. I felt that they're both solid community programs with good training in EP and echo. To me the only difference was the Mayo name.

The exposure to heart failure and transplant would be great in Tampa. And I maybe biased but I might just rank it higher purely based on location too

Hi guys, how would you rank:

Univ of Kentucky, Univ of Louisville, Univ of Cincinnati and Univ of Nebraska?

Future plans - interventional vs imaging

Imaging (CT/MR) and echo is strong at nebraska. Nuclear read by radiology. Interventional volumes are lower and weak in peripheral. I don't have an idea about any other programs.

Hi guys, how would you rank:

Univ of Kentucky, Univ of Louisville, Univ of Cincinnati and Univ of Nebraska?

Future plans - interventional vs imaging

Last edited:

Thanks a lot. Can you elaborate on why you think Mayo is stronger than Lahey?