ERAS 2017-2018 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did not match

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, for friends who didn't match this year, I feel for you. It's not the end of the world tho. Come back next year, stronger. Nothing is impossible.
For who matched, congrats BIG TIME. You made it. Hope you all have ended up wherever you wanted.
As a future applicant, I'd really appreciate it if you can kindly share your success or TEMPORARY unsuccess story and your valuable advice. It'd definitely help us.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to first choice!

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, for friends who didn't match this year, I feel for you. It's not the end of the world tho. Come back next year, stronger. Nothing is impossible.
For who matched, congrats BIG TIME. You made it. Hope you all have ended up wherever you wanted.
As a future applicant, I'd really appreciate it if you can kindly share your success or TEMPORARY unsuccess story and your valuable advice. It'd definitely help us.
Thanks in advance

yes, I would also like to see what type of applications people put out there.

congrats all on their match today!

Matched! Very excited. A few thoughts from my experience this year:

1. Fellowship match is even more about finding the right fit. At the top academic programs, you interview with 6-9 faculty members and it was all about finding mentors you'd like to work with.
2. You will get good clinical training at the majority of programs. They differ mainly in their culture and level of support for fellows (i.e. dedicated statistician for research, echo techs in-house on weekends, etc)
3. Personal statement and letters meant much more compared to residency applications (publications are still the crown jewel at strong academic programs). Many interviewers started off our conversation by mentioning my personal statement and letter writers.
4. Cardiology is a small world and everyone knows each other.
5. Can debate the merit of this, but post-interview communication is real. You don't need to tell anyone anything, but if you have a clear #1, let them know.

Congrats to everyone who matched. If you didn't match this year, don't give up. Work on your application and re-apply if being a cardiologist is your dream.

So what are people's thought about reapplying to the same programs next year? Will this come up as a red flag if they happen to remember us? I've heard mixed things about this and would like anyone's input if poss

Matched to my top 5!

So what are people's thought about reapplying to the same programs next year? Will this come up as a red flag if they happen to remember us? I've heard mixed things about this and would like anyone's input if poss

Wait you didn't match? It seemed you had really good interviews.

Matched! Very excited. A few thoughts from my experience this year:
1. Fellowship match is even more about finding the right fit. At the top academic programs, you interview with 6-9 faculty members and it was all about finding mentors you'd like to work with.
2. You will get good clinical training at the majority of programs. They differ mainly in their culture and level of support for fellows (i.e. dedicated statistician for research, echo techs in-house on weekends, etc)
3. Personal statement and letters meant much more compared to residency applications (publications are still the crown jewel at strong academic programs). Many interviewers started off our conversation by mentioning my personal statement and letter writers.
4. Cardiology is a small world and everyone knows each other.
5. Can debate the merit of this, but post-interview communication is real. You don't need to tell anyone anything, but if you have a clear #1, let them know.

1. So true. If you're interested in research, finding the right mentor is likely more important than program reputation. Similarly, fit as far as training you'll get and vibe/culture of the program is important too, I know some at big name programs who aren't particularly happy because of this.
2. Generally agree, all programs must train basic competency, but there's a wide spectrum of clinical training from adequate to great.
3. I think the PS is important in regards to programs figuring out if you fit and your goals.
4. The interview trail is a small world too and word about a bad applicant can get around too.
5. Take anything a program says/does with a grain of salt, sometimes they might just be playing you, but it doesn't hurt to state your #1, some programs rank based off this info.

It can be a red flag. I know of a program where they don't interview re-applicants, but others who do. Just boost your app, apply broadly and try it again.

did not match

Do not give up! Work to build up your CV and connections and get some exposure to research in the next 1-2 years, starting right now. I know someone who is planning to do a one-year non-acgme fellowship such as imaging or heart failure to improve their CV.

I also didn't match. I am vying for a few of the unfilled spots.
Totally in shock.
I thought the only people who didnt match were IMGs, or AMGs with serious problems/red flags.

It can be a red flag. I know of a program where they don't interview re-applicants, but others who do. Just boost your app, apply broadly and try it again.
well, that's depressing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice to future applicants, think really hard about your rank list from top to bottom. You never know where youll end up.

While I agree with this advice, just wanted to reiterate however, as long as you rank all your programs, your chance of matching at all is unchanged.

US born IMG who matched

I thought I had a good application: PGY3 chief resident, 6 publications (3 case reports / 3 retrospective - 1 accepted to ACC national)
My residency program is fairly unknown community program with no fellowships in house

Only had 4 interviews (though oddly all large universities but no community programs) and I applied really broadly. I thought interviews were challenging so I really tried to answer all questions honestly and really ask them questions that concerned me. Matched at my top program (in my home city so I imagine that helped) it was the only program that didn't actually respond to any of my communication.

Not sure if any of these things helped but I did the following:
1) Email corresponded with all programs I interviewed with and all interviewers and I tried to include something personal from each conversation - (actually a good amount emailed back)
2) Notified my #1 that they were my top about 3 weeks prior to rank lists (Didnt email any of the others prior to lists being due since I thought it would sound bad saying they were "top 3" or "ranked highly" etc.)
3) Had my PD and my director of cardiology email my top program
4) Emailed about 30 programs that I was interested in interviewing around mid September (though this yielded no interviews)
5) I always emailed the program managers and administrative assistants thanking them

congrats to all who matched, and my thoughts go out to those who didn't I hope you come back next year and it happens for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Same, really competitive. I thought my 1-7 interviews all went well and a few went great. At the end of the day I think where you did residency played even a bigger part than IV day but im just speculating. My program, although university isnt a really big name. Also I think having programs taking in-house applicants makes it competitive for applicants without home cardiology programs.

Advice to future applicants, think really hard about your rank list from top to bottom. You never know where youll end up.

I totally agree. Your home institution is the number one factor, even more imp than scores..

And in house applicants make total positions half to fight for..

My 2 cents would be attend and rank as many iv as possible.. one of my friend matched at 10/11.. you never know

Has anyone swapped Cardiology fellowship programs after match

What does that mean ? And why ??[/QU

I feel terrible and foolish saying this, but I ranked some progs that I initially did not want to go and I ended up in one such prog. Now I'm repenting my decision and wondering if there is any salvage from this point.

US-IMG, Matched at my number 5 and would have been happy with anywhere in the top half of my list. 15 attended interviews and 23 total invites. Good times ahead.

Sorry buddy. To the best of my knowledge I think it is a binding contract and unfortunately no decent way out.

Could someone kindly attach a list of unfilled programs ?

Not the formal unfilled "list" per se, but if you log in to NRMP and go to Options -> Reports -> Match Outcome of All Programs by State you can see which programs did not meet their quota.

Thanks for that tip.

Hi,

I applied for the match recently (2017) and unfortunately, didn't match. I would like some advice on what should I do next to increase my chances for next application cycle. Should I do hospitalist or 1 year fellowship?

Hi,

I applied for the match recently (2017) and unfortunately, didn't match. I would like some advice on what should I do next to increase my chances for next application cycle. Should I do hospitalist or 1 year fellowship?

Both are good options if you are an AMG. Your focus should be 1) getting a presentation at a national conference or publish a manuscript and 2) network within the cardiology department at your institution to see if you can get consideration at your home program and/or stronger letter writers/mentors who can call on your behalf.

If you are an IMG, I think the non-ACGME fellowships may be the way to go. I don't know much about IMGs reapplying to cardiology but imagine the odds are pretty low.

Good luck.

Guys, any thoughts about how to be better prepared for the fellowship? Any books to read? Electives in CCU? And etc. I found that reading the guidelines is so boring.

Guys, any thoughts about how to be better prepared for the fellowship? Any books to read? Electives in CCU? And etc. I found that reading the guidelines is so boring.

My plan is just to focus on having guidelines covered well, especially all class 1 and 3 recommendations. Then also to go through O'Keefe's at least once.

Though I would like to hear from any current fellows on what to prep for fellowship.

I feel sorry for those who did not match.. But keep looking for slots, the new programs which are opening.

My plan is just to focus on having guidelines covered well, especially all class 1 and 3 recommendations. Then also to go through O'Keefe's at least once.

Though I would like to hear from any current fellows on what to prep for fellowship.

All the fellows at my program that I talked to post match (mid tier university) all recommended just studying for the ABIM boards now so when fellowship starts I don't have to worry about it.

but I definitely would welcome some fellow input on here as well

Hi,

I agree with an above post, if you are a US-IMG/IMG I would do either a non-ACGME heart failure year or maybe find a program looking for PGY4 chief resident candidates that have a cardiology fellowship program. For IMGs (like myself) I think the hospitalist year wouldn't benefit you as much

but just my 2 cents

Anyone know of programs which tend to take their own people after a one year subspecialty fellowship (CHF, imaging)? I know UAB and Mayo have a stronger track record for doing this but just wondering if anyone knows of other programs for taking fellows from in house?

I agree with an above post, if you are a US-IMG/IMG I would do either a non-ACGME heart failure year or maybe find a program looking for PGY4 chief resident candidates that have a cardiology fellowship program. For IMGs (like myself) I think the hospitalist year wouldn't benefit you as much

but just my 2 cents

I don't know that there are 1 year fellowships like this (other than perhaps a research year), that you can do before a cardiology fellowship...unless I'm mistaken...

Hi,

Geri-cards is a growing area of interest at the moment and there should be plenty of geriatrics fellowship positions (1-year) available outside of the match.

Hey guys,

i have 248/231/cs 1 attempt/197 , 3 case reports. Do you think program will look into my application for cv fellowship?

Hey guys,

i have 248/231/cs 1 attempt/197 , 3 case reports. Do you think program will look into my application for cv fellowship?

If you are still talking about Step scores, that means you are still in the Residency Match mood... Almost everybody has outstanding, way above average, scores.

I think step scores are still used as a screening tool for IMGs - that being said once you are offered the interview I dont think it matters as much.

That was just my feeling

If you are still talking about Step scores, that means you are still in the Residency Match mood... Almost everybody has outstanding, way above average, scores.

USMLE scores are still used as a screening tool at most top programs. Programs do not have time to review all 600-700 applications, I bet they review at most 150 of those applications and cut it down to that number by using a variety of filters including where you did your residency and USMLE scores.

Last edited:

Concentrate on your IM boards. You want to get that out of the way plus you will be surprised how much a strong medicine knowledge can be important in cardiology.
Also if procedurally you not strong, make sure that you are comfortable with A lines, central lines. Just knowing how to get access , means you will learn PA catheter, temp wire insertion pretty easily.

Nobody expects you to arrive in cardiology knowing how to echo. You can google "university of toronto echocardiography". good website to expose you to echo views.

When I go back in time, I wished I had a better understanding of the basic science behind most cardiac issues and a better understanding of the pressure volume loop and hemodynamics. This comes up a lot when u at a center which has lots of medical students and residents _ struggled initially to give them quality teaching because I had to keep going back to review stuff lol

Hi,

Hospitalist is not a good route. Unless you got so many interviews and you think your problem was actually due to poor interviewing. That can be fixed. If application wasnt very competitive---> consider sub specialty fellowship EChocardiography, vascular medicine, Heart Failure, nuclear cardiology, Preventive cardiology. Some of them dont need a previous cardiology fellowship

I actually just accepted a one year advanced imaging fellowship at Yale...and hoping to match in house next year...
Didn't you say previously that you did not think highly of Yale program and that it has been on a decline?

Didn't you say previously that you did not think highly of Yale program and that it has been on a decline?

Unfortunately from all the places I applied, Yale was the only place which offered me a position; gotta do what you gotta do..