ERAS 2017-2018 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, how would you rank:

Univ of Kentucky, Univ of Louisville, Univ of Cincinnati and Univ of Nebraska?

Future plans - interventional vs imaging
U of Kentucky is all around an amazing program, strongest among these four.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
U of Kentucky is all around an amazing program, strongest among these four. I would probably rank them as
Uni of Kentucky
Uni of Cincinnati
Uni of Nebraska
Uni of Louisville
but I don't have a detailed insight about the rest of the three, most of the info I have is from friends who interviewed there. Best wishes

Thank you. Any specific reason why you would put Louisville at the bottom?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on Emory vs Vandy? Interested in being an academic cardiologist, heart failure as of now but looking for a program with all round good clinical training and research opportunities

Any thoughts on Emory vs Vandy? Interested in being an academic cardiologist, heart failure as of now but looking for a program with all round good clinical training and research opportunities

Both are comparable in terms of strong clinical training and research, can't go wrong with either. Slight edge to Vandy as they've been very aggressive in recruiting top faculty from other top programs including Harvard programs and they have more research funding. It will come down to your own personal fit.

Both are comparable in terms of strong clinical training and research, can't go wrong with either. Slight edge to Vandy as they've been very aggressive in recruiting top faculty from other top programs including Harvard programs and they have more research funding. It will come down to your own personal fit.
Thank you!

Go for Vandy my friend... No question about it. Both are large academic programs but Vandy has more prestigious faculty and the program is more open and receptive to fellows with better opportunities and way less malignant program.

Guys what do you think about Northshore university healthsystem? the program is bit new but seems strong?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot. Can you elaborate on why you think Mayo is stronger than Lahey?

I'm unfamiliar with Lahey, but I think Mayo AZ is particularly strong if you're interested in EP / Level 3 Echo. Obviously a very large emphasis on simulation and fellow education at Mayo. Also, they have very good transplant volumes, so HF is strong as well.

Thoughts on ranking:
- UT-Houston
- Houston Methodist
- UMKC
- Baylor Dallas
- Henry Ford
- Mayo AZ

Interested in advanced imaging (CT/MRI) and HF. Would love any inside opinions about the programs. All of them seemed very strong when interviewing.

Same here, not sure what to make of it.
I think it increases my confidence of matching there by 5% . Honestly, it all comes down to whether they liked you during the interview and pure luck. Should not affect the way you are ranking programs. I think if fellowship PD said "ranking highly" to the faculty who made a phone call for you, it carries more weight.

Anyone else struggling with these matchups in their rank list?

Dartmouth v Brown

UMass v Penn State

A lot of similarities between the programs and I’m not sure how to order them.

Is anyone getting any "we will rank you highly etc" emails from programs?

Ignore it as well as anything else the program may have said regarding your chances of matching there, either directly or indirectly. It’s often the programs way of making you feel good and ranking them highly because of it. You may very well be ranked high or not.

Is it a bad sign that haven't gotten any post interview communication? I haven't received any "will be ranking you highly" emails.

Wayne Vs Hartford hos. I heard wayne is malignant. But if location is preferable, is it worth ranking wayne above Hartford??

Wayne Vs Hartford hos. I heard wayne is malignant. But if location is preferable, is it worth ranking wayne above Hartford??
I feel both are strong programs. Downside of Wayne would be the inhouse calls and the three hospitals that you have to cover, thus the reason some people call it "malignant". But I think their Interventional program is more famous to be malignant then the general. Both the programs are busy during first two years And a laid back third year. I think you can't go wrong with either of the programs.

My friend's impression of the program was that it is in its infancy currently. No primary cicu service, exposure and training from that perspective would be really weak. No in house fellowships, not well structured experience atleast for now. This might evolve into a better fellowship down the road.

That is good to know, Was your friend an interviewee? or is he in the program. Would appreciate details as I am ranking this program in my top 5.

Guys what are your thoughts on UTMB vs. Baystate Health

I've seen UTMB ranked very low in prior posts, any specific reasons?

Thanks!!

Guys what are your thoughts on UTMB vs. Baystate Health

I've seen UTMB ranked very low in prior posts, any specific reasons?

Thanks!!

I didn't think UTMB was 'bad' personally. Seemed like a good/friendly working environment. They have heart failure (new) and interventional fellowships. I think a lot of big cardiology powerhouse programs are in Houston that UTMB automatically gets placed into a lower tier. Plus the location (Galveston) isn't ideal for everyone, relatively small town, but with Houston just an hour away.

It seemed like a overall decent program.

posted before but still need some help please.

How would you rank:

UBuffalo vs Iowa vs UTMB vs Arizona (Tucson)

and

UMissouri (columbia) vs Uconn (Farmington) vs Lankenau

Thanks!

posted before but still need some help please.

How would you rank:

UBuffalo vs Iowa vs UTMB vs Arizona (Tucson)

and

UMissouri (columbia) vs Uconn (Farmington) vs Lankenau

Thanks!

Iowa is the most prestigious of the group, perhaps followed by Arizona. Procedural numbers at Iowa would be average, unless things have changed.Nice people in general.

Thoughts on ranking:
- UT-Houston
- Houston Methodist
- UMKC
- Baylor Dallas
- Henry Ford
- Mayo AZ

Interested in advanced imaging (CT/MRI) and HF. Would love any inside opinions about the programs. All of them seemed very strong when interviewing.

I like this list a lot..

Baylor Dallas (Grayburn etc), Henry Ford and Methodist (lot of famous echo guys) stand out for imaging. UMKC and Mayo Arizona shd be good as well. All in all these are clinically strong solid programs that may not get a lot of respect on the coasts, but provide excellent training nonetheless..

Guys any thoughts on

Cooper vs Morriston/Atlantic Health?

Future is HF or Interventional, not entirely decided.

Thanks!
Did not like Cooper at all during my interview day. The emphasis was on how little work/call they do, which translates into being a weak cardiologist after fellowship. Did not get a good, friendly vibe from the PD.

I like this list a lot..

Baylor Dallas (Grayburn etc), Henry Ford and Methodist (lot of famous echo guys) stand out for imaging. UMKC and Mayo Arizona shd be good as well. All in all these are clinically strong solid programs that may not get a lot of respect on the coasts, but provide excellent training nonetheless..

What about UT Houston ?

Iowa is the most prestigious of the group, perhaps followed by Arizona. Procedural numbers at Iowa would be average, unless things have changed.Nice people in general.

Thanks! What do you think of the second group of programs? Do you know if it's worth ranking Lankenau above university programs like UConn-Farmington and UMissouri-Columbia?

Any input for

Wvu vs toledo and

Northahore
Grand rapids
Lsu Shreveport ?

Need some help with ranking these two programs:

U Cincinnati and U Louisville

Can anyone share their impressions on Creighton, Univ of illinois Peoria, lehigh valley and grand rapids?

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the following programs, in terms of ranking (based on overall training for noninvasive cardiology):

1. Washington Hospital Center / Georgetown -- liked the multiple hospital system, has a VA, seemed like overall training was good.
2. Jefferson -- great location, seemed solid. One hospital system. Like location better that WHC and Monte but not sure if training is as good? How would people compare it to WHC and Monte?
3. Montefiore - living/working in Bronx sounds tough, and has the NYC culture it seems like. May be best program on the list.. is it a mistake to rank it below WHC, Jefferson?
4. Northwell - seemed like a nice environment. Location better than Monte
5. University of Maryland.

Just want to get a general idea of which programs out of the above are stronger in terms of training.

Help me rank, roughly where would each go? How do the community hospitals on the list compare with the rest?

Lankenau
U Missouri (columbia)
U Conn (Farmington)
Rutgers NJMS
SLU
St. Elizabeth Hospital
Marshall University

Help me rank, roughly where would each go? How do the community hospitals on the list compare with the rest?

Lankenau
U Missouri (columbia)
U Conn (Farmington)
Rutgers NJMS
SLU
St. Elizabeth Hospital
Marshall University

Some programs that I know
- uconn, pretty decent, but smaller compared to their hartford program. Good pathology and exposure.
- SLU, its work environment is not that ideal and maybe pushing the edges toward malignant, fellows have to write alot of progress notes
- Marshall university, if you can bear living in West Virginia and that small town, it's a decent program
- st Elizabeth - the call schedule can be crazy if you are on icu back to back (every 2,3rd day on call while on icu). But an excellent place for interventional (peripheral interventions world class)

Some programs that I know
- uconn, pretty decent, but smaller compared to their hartford program. Good pathology and exposure.
- SLU, its work environment is not that ideal and maybe pushing the edges toward malignant, fellows have to write alot of progress notes
- Marshall university, if you can bear living in West Virginia and that small town, it's a decent program
- st Elizabeth - the call schedule can be crazy if you are on icu back to back (every 2,3rd day on call while on icu). But an excellent place for interventional (peripheral interventions world class)

Thank you that was helpful.

Do you know what the deal is with St. Elizabeth's interventional program? Is it really 2 years as it says on Freida? The PD mentioned it was 2 years but the internal fellows are doing a "fast track" of 1.5 years combined with the gen cards fellowship or something like that. How will this change with interventional cards applications becoming strictly through ERAS next year?

For UConn: Do both Hartford and Farmington programs share the interventional spot at UConn?

Having a bit of a tough time on deciding where to put U Arizona Tucson vs Mt Sinai Miami Florida?

Not which is above the other.

U Arizona is really awesome, they have HF, Transplants, amazing volume of everything, but I also got a research heavy vibe from them. I haven't been out west before so the vibe was different for me coming from the east, but everyone seemed really nice.
Sinai Miami seemed to be very well rounded too, no HF on-site but can rotate at Columbia and good HF matches elsewhere if going that route; Not a huge negative for me.

Location not an issue (though Miami is certainly more attractive). Future is HF or Interventional, not entirely decided.

Thanks!

Having a bit of a tough time on deciding where to put U Arizona Tucson vs Mt Sinai Miami Florida?

Not which is above the other.

U Arizona is really awesome, they have HF, Transplants, amazing volume of everything, but I also got a research heavy vibe from them. I haven't been out west before so the vibe was different for me coming from the east, but everyone seemed really nice.
Sinai Miami seemed to be very well rounded too, no HF on-site but can rotate at Columbia and good HF matches elsewhere if going that route; Not a huge negative for me.

Location not an issue (though Miami is certainly more attractive). Future is HF or Interventional, not entirely decided.

Thanks!

Miami is a lot more collegial. No autonomy at Arizona. I would go Miami over Tucson.

Guys what do you think of UT Memphis and medical college of Georgia?

Thank you that was helpful.

Do you know what the deal is with St. Elizabeth's interventional program? Is it really 2 years as it says on Freida? The PD mentioned it was 2 years but the internal fellows are doing a "fast track" of 1.5 years combined with the gen cards fellowship or something like that. How will this change with interventional cards applications becoming strictly through ERAS next year?

For UConn: Do both Hartford and Farmington programs share the interventional spot at UConn?

UCONN and Hartford Hospital have separate interventional fellowships.

St Elizabeth interventional fellowship is one year (unless you decide to stay for structural plus peripheral)

2 years is for general fellows who fast track. They do 2 years in general cards, 10 months or so in the cathlab in their third year and one interventional year

Guys what do you think of UT Memphis and medical college of Georgia?
Medical college of Georgia is a really strong program. UT memphis is apparently very busy from what I have heard. 3,4 hospitals, really busy program. No heart failure/VAD exposure (I think they rotate 2 weeks at a different hospital). They are increasing first year spots this year. Methodist hospital is really busy, multiple EMRs at different hospitals. I think they had a chair Guy Reed who recently left for Arizona? Not sure. If you can tolerate the grind then the training/pathology you would see probably would be really good. Depends on your future plans, probably good for interventional.