ERAS applications for HPSP students

Started by LTMCUSN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LTMCUSN

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a Navy HPSP officer applying to a specialty that does not offer any full time out service/civilian deferments. A few questions I have not been able to get answered/confirmed that I’m hoping someone on here may know the answer to:

1. Why is an ERAS application required if we are not permitted to defer out for a PGY2 spot? Is this in the event the Navy does not offer enough PGY1 positions (TY is my second rank after a categorical position at a Navy program, in my case)?
2. Does anyone have an idea of how competitive TY programs are in the Navy? There is nothing published in the way of match statistics and I havnt gotten any guidance from the GME office on this.
3. If anyone applied or is applying to strictly TY or prelim year in ERAS, like I’ll have to do- how many programs did you include? The navy reinsures up to $300 for ERAS (covers the cost of ~ 21 programs) so I’m trying to weigh that against a reasonable number to apply to.

Thank you all