ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, it sounds like you're creating a CV on a Word document and do not yet have access to ERAS. While it is important to have a Word document CV, please note that it's a very standardized fill-in-the-blank system for filling out ERAS. These filled in blanks will automatically generate what is sent to programs, not the Word document CV (although some may let you bring that)
Thanks a lot for that !
I wasn't preparing a Word CV actually. I was just getting ready to access ERAS when it actually opens.
I have 14 publications.. I was doing a 2 year post-doc research fellowship to get into a more competitive branch.
I have 8 first author papers out of which 5 are in top notch journals 3 in okish journals so wanted to know if i would be able to sort them in a desired format when eras opens.
Thanks for a ll the help ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Thanks for the thread.

I submitted an abstract to American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting, 2014. The abstract got accepted for publication, but not for poster or oral presentation.

The abstract was published electronically only in Journal of Clinical Oncology, which is a top rated oncology journal that is associated with ASCO. The abstract is, however, not indexed in PubMed.

In which of the following categories do I mention the abstract:
  • Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts
  • Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (other than published)
  • Peer reviewed online publication
  • Non peer reviewed online publication
  • Oral presentation (obviously not)
  • Poster presentation (obviously not)
Kindly help me out with this.

Thanks in advance... :)

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks for the thread.

I submitted an abstract to American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting, 2014. The abstract got accepted for publication, but not for poster or oral presentation.
Here is the abstract:

Thanks in advance... :)[/B][/SIZE]

You realize that you've given us your real name and by way of a quick internet search, your location?

It's not necessary to include the actual reference here - I'd remove it and your identifying information.

Last edited:
You realize that you've given us your real name and by way of a quick internet search, your location?

It's not necessary to include the actual reference here - I'd remove it and your identifying information.

Thanks for letting me know. I thought it was important to let others understand my problem. I have changed my message above. Now the info shows only in your message. Kindly change that too.
Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

Thanks for the thread.

The abstract was published electronically only in Journal of Clinical Oncology, which is a top rated oncology journal that is associated with ASCO. The abstract is, however, not indexed in PubMed.

In which of the following categories do I mention the abstract:
  • Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts
  • Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (other than published)
  • Peer reviewed online publication
  • Non peer reviewed online publication
  • Oral presentation (obviously not)
  • Poster presentation (obviously not)
Kindly help me out with this.

Thanks in advance... :)
1. If published before you application info is due - other than published (it's accepted)
2. If published with a page number - Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts
3. If published without a page number - Peer reviewed online

1. If published before you application info is due - other than published (it's accepted)
2. If published with a page number - Peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts
3. If published without a page number - Peer reviewed online

Thanks for the help.
It has an electronic page no., something like e4325. I guess this qualifies for peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts.

Thanks for the help.
It has an electronic page no., something like e4325. I guess this qualifies for peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts.
Yep, I'd put it as such

if i wrote a book chapter that is indexed on pubmed, can that go into the peer-reviewed section? thanks!

how do you list an abstract that has been accepted at a conference but which has not been presented yet, and which will NOT BE PRESENTED prior to submission of the application?

i know that on the FAQs it says to list submitted publications under "research experience," but i noticed under peer reviewed journal articles/abstract (other than published), there's a category for "submitted." does that mean submitted publications can be listed here instead?

i know that on the FAQs it says to list submitted publications under "research experience," but i noticed under peer reviewed journal articles/abstract (other than published), there's a category for "submitted." does that mean submitted publications can be listed here instead?
Yes. ERAS changes the categories frequently so when this was originally written, the "submitted" category probably didn't exist.

Yes. ERAS changes the categories frequently so when this was originally written, the "submitted" category probably didn't exist.
thank you for your help!:)

do about.com articles count as peer-reviewed or non peer reviewed online pubs?

It appears that ERAS orders publication alphabetically by first author. If you have multiple publications where you are first author how are those ordered by ERAS? Are multiple publications by the same first author ordered by the order they are entered?

If you are a lead author on a research paper, but it was presented as an oral presentation at a national conference by the second author and it won an award is there a way to list it on ERAS? Should you put it under "oral presentation" and list the award under "Awards" or just leave it out completely since you didn't do the actual presentation. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!

What if you get interviewed by a person who attended that presentation?

The way I handled someone else presenting a poster based on my paper was putting it under a presentation and then in the citation put, "Presented at *** by Dr. ***," so that it was clear that I was not the person who presented the poster. It's not as impressive as you personally standing up and presenting, but nevertheless, if you are a named author on the poster, I think it's fair game to list it if you make it clear what your role was.

Not sure what to do with the award. I'd be tempted to include at the end of the citation, "awarded such and such" rather than including it in a whole different section, as that seems like double dipping.

I've submitted an abstract to a conference and it was accepted. That means it's going to be published in their supplement journal as well as I will be presenting it as a poster in the actual conference. Should I write this in the publications as well as poster presentation or one or the other. If the latter, which carries more weight? Thanks.

This is my first sdn post in years but the confusion of the ERAS process has drawn me back! One of my publications was highlighted on the cover of the journal. Is there any way to note this in ERAS? There's no way to do so in the publications section that I can see, but in MISC perhaps? Thoughts?

I wrote a short story about an experience I had in medical school. It is non-scientific, but it was published in print as part of a collection of other similarly themed short stories. Would this be worth "other articles" or should I put it in the "other awards/accomplishments" of the misc. tab? Or should I list it as a volunteering extracurricular?

Also, I regularly write for a blog that is published online by the school of medicine. It is also of the reflective, creative writing type and non scientific. I have had over 8,000 cumulative views and even had one piece linked on the AMA's website. Is this something that would go under publications? Or is that also a volunteer extracurricular, or "other awards/accomplishments?"

Thanks!

I may be bad at search function, but we should not list undergraduate research experience that did not lead to a pub or presentation, correct?

What are some examples of peer-reviewed online publications? For example - would manuscripts published in PLOS One go there since it is an online-only journal?

if an article was first published on the journal's website and then published in its print from 5-6 months later, do you still put the print form (when it was "really published") as the date on ERAS?

I may be bad at search function, but we should not list undergraduate research experience that did not lead to a pub or presentation, correct?

I'd agree with that statement--I'm definitely not doing that.

What about in the peer reviewed journal other than published. It gives you the option to put down that it was submitted. Why does this faq suggest not using it?

What about in the peer reviewed journal other than published. It gives you the option to put down that it was submitted. Why does this faq suggest not using it?

Where does it say that? I do know this thread was created prior to the "submitted" option being added to ERAS, so maybe that's why you are seeing some mixed responses.

But I'm using the submitted tab--thankful that ERAS understands that it is worth including submitted manuscripts in a student application. People say "anyone can submit something, so it's meaningless"--true, but honestly, this is med school, nobody submits anything that isn't a real project, at least if you go to school in the US.

This FAQ was created almost 5 years ago. Things on ERAS have changed in the interim. Stop making this harder than it needs to be.

Is it acceptable to include a clinical trial protocol that I wrote under publications (it is posted and accruing patients on clinicaltrials.gov)? I would like to make sure that this is noticed and publication of the results is likely years down the road.

Is it acceptable to include a clinical trial protocol that I wrote under publications (it is posted and accruing patients on clinicaltrials.gov)? I would like to make sure that this is noticed and publication of the results is likely years down the road.
Nope. Include it in the research description, including the CT.gov #. It's not a publication.

An abstract that will be presented at a conference in the fall---in the "other than published" section, it asks for a journal--but
Nope. Include it in the research description, including the CT.gov #. It's not a publication.
thanks gutonc

So are we list a pub are we still listing the "research experience" separately that lead to the pub?

I'm currently working on an invited review and it's submission deadline is in a few months. My PI says it is a guaranteed publication since its invited...would this fall under provisionally accepted or should I just add it in the Research experience description along with other projects we aren't ready yet to write/submit.

I'm currently working on an invited review and it's submission deadline is in a few months. My PI says it is a guaranteed publication since its invited...would this fall under provisionally accepted or should I just add it in the Research experience description along with other projects we aren't ready yet to write/submit.
I've had invited manuscripts rejected before. It goes in the research section.

I know this question has been asked in this thread before, but I didn't see a clear cut answer, I don't want to seem like I am padding but I have presented the same poster title at different conferences, some nationally, and some locally, unfortunately, I can't list multiple conferences and locations under the same poster title, would it be okay for me to list each conference separately with their respective dates and locations but with the same poster title?

I also was accepted into my schools summer research program between M1 and M2 year that was paid, I listed that as "work" under the experiences section, and gave a description of the program and briefly mentioned the project I worked, the thing is, after the summer research program ended, I continued to work on this project for an additional year. I did not want to describe both the program and project under the same title because it would become too long, so I listed the additional year of research and briefly elaborated on that, I know this sounds confusing but I am not sure what the most effective way to list this is.

Thanks for your help sdn :)

I have a book chapter that is not exactly "peer reviewed". If i place it in the "other articles " section however, there is no place to put down the name of the book, editor, and publishing company.. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

what is the general consensus on listing activities as Research Experiences that have already gone on to publication and oral/poster presentation? I am using the research experience section for my experience that hasn't yet led to any publications, and not for anything that has. Is that reasonable?

A poster has been accepted to a conference. I'm not presenting it at that conference. The abstract will be published, but has not been published yet. I'm recording that as an abstract I coauthored, but ERAS wants a publication date., even though I've categorized it as a 'Peer Reviewed Abstract(Other Than Published)'. Should I just put the date we submitted it?

A poster has been accepted to a conference. I'm not presenting it at that conference. The abstract will be published, but has not been published yet. I'm recording that as an abstract I coauthored, but ERAS wants a publication date., even though I've categorized it as a 'Peer Reviewed Abstract(Other Than Published)'. Should I just put the date we submitted it?
actually I put the date it was accepted for publication. i'm sure it doesn't matter, but if you know it's been accepted then i'd put that date.

So, I have a paper that is ready to be submitted (it has been written, edited, and approved by all coauthors), but I haven't had time to sit down and upload it and the associated documents to the journal's submission site. I will submit the manuscript by the end of the month, and in ERAS, if I upload it today or the last day of the month, it won't matter because it will be listed as (submitted: Sept 2014).

So, do you think it is OK if I list it as submitted? I will indeed be submitting it in September 2014, however, it is not submitted as of now

So, I have a paper that is ready to be submitted (it has been written, edited, and approved by all coauthors), but I haven't had time to sit down and upload it and the associated documents to the journal's submission site. I will submit the manuscript by the end of the month, and in ERAS, if I upload it today or the last day of the month, it won't matter because it will be listed as (submitted: Sept 2014).

So, do you think it is OK if I list it as submitted? I will indeed be submitting it in September 2014, however, it is not submitted as of now
No, I wouldn't exaggerate its status. List that it's almost ready for submission in research experiences.

I'm a co-first-author (along with 2 others) on a publication, but I'm not the first listed author. The actual publication has asterisks next to our names and says that we contributed equally. How do I convey that I'm the co-author rather than the 3rd author? Asterisks and mention in that particular research experience section that I got a co-first-author paper?
Either note this in the research experiences or, if ERAS allow asterisks when you enter authors in the author box, put, "Author 1*, Author 2*, Author 3*, Author 4, [...] Last Author; *All authors contributed equally." Not a standard or anything but a reasonable way you can try to convey this point using what ERAS give you.