1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

ERAS Questions

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Deucedano, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Deucedano

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My CV is pretty pitiful and I was wondering if I should include some undergrad research projects (without pubs or poster) and that I was a teaching assistant in college for a 400 level physiology class. Otherwise I only have one research project that I am currently working on, but its a pretty simple chart review with radiology correlation.

My application is pretty solid otherwise.
    All honors 1st and 2nd year; Got Virchow Prize for highest path score during second year.
    3rd year: Honors in Peds, OBGYN, Surg; High Passed the rest
    Step 1: 256
    Step 2: 264
    Should get really good LORs from 3 pathologists and 1 IM physician.

Without substantial research, will I get interviews at some of the top research places like UCSF, Hopkins, ect..?
    I am interested in research and really considering academics (definitely would if it weren't for my 200K+ debt), but I feel my lack of research is going to hurt me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pathstudent

pathstudent Sound Kapital
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Your app seems pretty soft to me. You might want to include your sixth grade science project.

Are you kidding me? Your application is outstanding and you will get interviews at every program you apply to. If you can interview at all i would bet money on you getting your number #1 rank.

4. Euchromatin

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Regardless of including any additional research projects, you should be guaranteed to get an interview invite at pretty much any program. I had zero research projects in med school and was invited on all the interviews I wanted (I ended up having to cancel some because I was sick of going on interviews).

As long as you are fairly personable at your interviews, I suspect you won't have trouble matching, even at the "big name" academic places either. I'm not claiming that you are like this (I certainly wouldn't be able to tell from one anonymous post on the internet), but I have noticed from my own experiences that some people with exceptional grades and board scores have social issues - specifically they can be some combination of socially awkward, eccentric, cocky/snobby, overly aggressive (gunner) and/or constantly worried about minor things (OCD-like personality traits). Of course some of these traits (in moderation) can probably be found in everyone who made it through med school, as well as those going into path, but I just wanted to give you a heads up about what interviewers might be watching for. :)

5. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'll be a bit of the devil's advocate. i agree you'll get lots of interviews, but i do think that when you're at "research" (= big name) programs, they'll ask you about your relative lack of it. have a legit and honest answer, and i think you'll be in decent shape though, assuming you're socially functional as the previous poster indicated.

6. pathstudent

pathstudent Sound Kapital
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Unless you are an MD/PhD, few people have done any meaningful reasearch in med school.

You don't need experience in research to do USCAP posters/projects in residency. If you did get involved in something it is great but if you didn't, it is no big deal. There is no program that only wants to take MD/PhDs.

7. KCShaw

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Do you like pathology? If so, how do you know that?

8. Absidia

7+ Year Member

I was in a position similar to OP's when applying, except that I had NO research experience at all. But was #2 in my class, very high step scores, and letters from good folks (though don't know what they said of course). And it is true that those things will get you interviews almost everywhere (but not everywhere, actually).

What you have to realize (and what I didn't until I was on the other side of the process) is that most people of these top tier places are looking for future colleagues, and thus, are biased towards high-powered research types, especially MD/PhDs. This bias is more pronounced (and in some cases, even plainly stated by the residency director) at certain places. That is not to say that you cannot match at one of them, just don't expect them to fawn all over you and immediately rank you #1 like some of the other posters here would have you believe. What you have going for you is that you are at least working on a project and you are very interested in academics - play those things up and it will help them to see that even though you are not an MD/PhD with a lot of publications, you could be a productive colleague of theirs in the future. Good luck!

9. Deucedano

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like diagnostics and consider myself to be a visual person.
    I like learning about the pathophysiology of disease and how it can be used to aid in diagnosis (molecular tests, IHCs, ect..)
    Im probably one of the few who likes the QA/QC aspect of CP
    I like idea of being a consultant for other physicians questions about tests, ect.
    I like the idea of being able to teach the biological aspects to medical students and residents

Added benefit:
    I dont have to explain to below average intelligence patients the importance of taking their antihypertensive medication because someday maybe 20 years down the road, something they cant even feel might cause them problems.

10. KCShaw

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What kind of experience do you have in a pathology department? (Rotation in a working/non-research practice?)

This is one of the big, basic issues many programs want to know about applicants; lots of people have decent numbers, but considerably fewer understand what they're getting into with pathology, and fewer still also have a personality fitting to their program.

11. Deucedano

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My first rotation was in AP August 2010;
    surg path mostly and a little autopsy; also had several chemistry lectures a week for the month.

Second rotation was more CP March 2011;
    2 weeks of blood bank; 1 week bench(HLA lab, panels, ect) 1 week clinical (saw apheresis, tranfusion rxns).
    1 week Hematopathology and looked at smears during Blood bank weeks also
    1 week cytology

Third rotation is AP at a different academic institution August 2011 (finishing up my last week):
    3 weeks surg path
    1 week cytology

I agree with you regarding the exposure and I think I have gotten a pretty good idea of what pathology has to offer. I 100% agree about the right fit for a program. I just want the opportunity to see what those programs are like.

12. Deucedano

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One more ERAS question

should I explain the award I recieved for highest grade in path during second year or just say whats on the award (Virchow Prize in Pathology for Excellence in Pathology)?

13. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'd suggest the latter - phrasing it as the former would read awkwardly, and truthfully, I don't see too many PDs caring that much. Your 3 months of pathology rotations, and the variety of areas within pathology you've seen, is far, far more valuable and important than your grade in your MS2 pathology course.

14. KCShaw

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As long as the title of the award gives some sort of indication, like the example provided does. Just noting that you won the local 2009 Levi Summit Award really doesn't help anyone, but the 2009 Levi Summit Award for fastest bootyslide down the hill overlooking the quad is more informative. If it all fits neatly on less than one line and is a quick read, it's probably OK -- most reviewers just want a very general idea what the heck you're talking about and will have no idea about most local awards, but also likely won't care much for extra details.

15. Deucedano

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Okay, I guess they could always just ask about it during an interview. So Im just going to go with the Virchow Prize in Pathology for Excellence in Pathology.
    Thanks for the responses

16. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Good plan.

17. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sounds like the award for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence.

18. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Homer earned that.

19. moonraker

2+ Year Member

#18 moonraker, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012