Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi! I'm ESL and planning on taking MCAT in about 2 years. Looked at AAMC site, and anticipate CARS section will be weakest area, by far. Looking for CARS preps that are digitally based so I can start practice. Any thoughts there? Thanks!

morejedi

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you're looking for a place to start with practice I'd suggest going here - Critical analysis and reasoning skills practice questions | Khan Academy

It's free and a good place to start. As you further progress with studies there is AAMC material that you can use to practice. Furthermore, there are exam testing companies that offer these services such as Princeton Review, ExamKrackers, Kaplan, Next Step, etc. - keep in mind some of these options may be expensive so do your research to see what options seem best for you.

In the meantime, to strengthen your abilities for CARS, I would start reading articles online. Some examples can be found here - Jack Westin: CARS Course Practice Reading

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
About the Ads

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Just a note that I struggle with CARS and English is my first language, so I have no excuse. I found the ExamKrackers CARS strategy book particularly helpful.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

hellowalnut

2+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
This far out, I suggest just reading more. Philosophical essays, humanities essays, college level text, etc. Learn how to quickly extract main ideas. For CARS, people who grew up reading a lot tend to score much higher than those who did not so working on those reading/comprehension skills is crucial. Unfortunately, being ESL, you are at a disadvantage but 2 years is definitely enough time to refine your ability to read and process dense information quickly and effectively!

Also, I don't think you should be using CARS prep material this early as those should be used for practice when you are actually taking your MCAT. IMO but you do you

OP
bulbosity
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
This far out, I suggest just reading more. Philosophical essays, humanities essays, college level text, etc. Learn how to quickly extract main ideas. For CARS, people who grew up reading a lot tend to score much higher than those who did not so working on those reading/comprehension skills is crucial. Unfortunately, being ESL, you are at a disadvantage but 2 years is definitely enough time to refine your ability to read and process dense information quickly and effectively!

Also, I don't think you should be using CARS prep material this early as those should be used for practice when you are actually taking your MCAT. IMO but you do you
I basically agree with you; globalized reading at this point is probably best, but it seems viewing CARS-like presentations could give me an orientation of sorts.

OP
bulbosity
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If you're looking for a place to start with practice I'd suggest going here - Critical analysis and reasoning skills practice questions | Khan Academy

It's free and a good place to start. As you further progress with studies there is AAMC material that you can use to practice. Furthermore, there are exam testing companies that offer these services such as Princeton Review, ExamKrackers, Kaplan, Next Step, etc. - keep in mind some of these options may be expensive so do your research to see what options seem best for you.

In the meantime, to strengthen your abilities for CARS, I would start reading articles online. Some examples can be found here - Jack Westin: CARS Course Practice Reading
Thank you!

OP
bulbosity
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just a note that I struggle with CARS and English is my first language, so I have no excuse. I found the ExamKrackers CARS strategy book particularly helpful.
Thanks, and then just be happy you're not testing in Ukrainian!

OP
bulbosity
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

Thanks!

OP
bulbosity
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Princeton Hyperlearning was fantastic for the old Verbal. Other company materials are fine too - the key is just a high volume of practice passages, like several per day every single day for a couple months.
Thanks!

About the Ads