Establishing CA in-state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laffytaffy19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yall! I'm from TX and am looking at establishing state residency in California since my parents live there now. They moved to Cali 2 years ago and plan to live there long-term. How do I establish state residency in California and how early do I need to do the switch before dental school applications (applying next cycle)? And... I know this probably isn't possible but is establishing 2 state residencies a thing? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Impossible to register for two states.

It's easy to change residency. Just go to the DMV and say you moved.

As far as the dental school thing... it really depends. Do you want to have a Texas residency for Texas school benefits? If yes, don't change it.

If you're deadset on ucla or ucsf, then change residency asap because I believe you need to be a resident for a year before you get instate tuition. Alternative is just to pay oos for a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Impossible to register for two states.

It's easy to change residency. Just go to the DMV and say you moved.

As far as the dental school thing... it really depends. Do you want to have a Texas residency for Texas school benefits? If yes, don't change it.

If you're deadset on ucla or ucsf, then change residency asap because I believe you need to be a resident for a year before you get instate tuition. Alternative is just to pay oos for a year.

Ok, gotcha. Do you know how early in advance before applying do I have to make the change? Because most people turn in applications in the summer for earlier consideration... but it's already almost September so I don't know if my change would make it in time for next cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, gotcha. Do you know how early in advance before applying do I have to make the change? Because most people turn in applications in the summer for earlier consideration... but it's already almost September so I don't know if my change would make it in time for next cycle
I don't think there's really an ideal time. It's really on what you think is best. I wouldn't base everything on the residency. Just Worry about applying for now

Wait, are YOU moving to California? If not, I'm not seeing how you can claim residency just because your parents live there. You're an independent adult. If you figure it out, please tell me. I'd like to become a Nevada resident so I don't have to pay state income tax and I have an uncle that lives there.

Big Hoss

Wait, are YOU moving to California? If not, I'm not seeing how you can claim residency just because your parents live there. You're an independent adult. If you figure it out, please tell me. I'd like to become a Nevada resident so I don't have to pay state income tax and I have an uncle that lives there.

Big Hoss
lol man I go there on breaks and when I'm not at school, and I have plans to stay there long-term after graduation. don't know if that makes a difference...but you're right. It might not be possible at all

lol man I go there on breaks and when I'm not at school, and I have plans to stay there long-term after graduation. don't know if that makes a difference...but you're right. It might not be possible at all
No, stay in Texas where you have freedom, sweet freedom! California offers nothing but insane traffic, a ridiculous cost of living, and a soul crushing absence of personal liberty. Plus, if you wear a cowboy hat on the left coast, people will judge you.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user