Ethnicity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RU1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well. I have a quick question in regards to ethnicity. Is there a question on the Dental School Application that asks for your ethnicity? What about a question that asks what country you were born in or have citizenship in? I was just wondering if these things were mentioned.
On another note, I was born and raised in Egypt and have put down African American ever since I came to the US. Even my US Citizenship and my full African-American scholarship at Rutgers indicate this. I'm wondering if I can still put down African American. Thanks in advance! I'd really appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Ethnicity and Race
Many schools want to know more about your background. Providing information about your ethnicity and race requires answering a two-part question: First, you must indicate if you consider yourself to be of Hispanic origin. Second, you may select the racial classification(s) that you use to describe yourself. You can select one or more racial classifications. Within some categories of race, you are also asked to specify your ethnicity (e.g., Asian Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, etc.). Select any classifications that you use to identify yourself.

Consider these definitions when selecting your ethnicity and race.

Hispanic or Latino
A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race

American Indian or Alaska Native
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community attachment

Asian
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent, including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam

Black or African American
A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands

White
A Person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa

Place of Birth/Citizenship Information
Enter the full name of the city where you were born. Do not use abbreviations.

Date of Birth
Enter the month-day-year of your birth in the following format: MM/DD/YYYY.

City of Birth

State/Province of Birth
Select the state/province in which you were born from the drop-down menu box. If you were born outside the U.S./Canada, select "No State."

Country of Birth
Select the country in which you were born from the drop-down menu box.

Country of Citizenship
Select your country of citizenship from the drop-down menu box.

State/Province of Legal Residence
Select the state/province of which you are currently a legal resident.

Number of years living in U.S.
Enter the number of years you have been living in the United States.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone is doing well. I have a quick question in regards to ethnicity. Is there a question on the Dental School Application that asks for your ethnicity? What about a question that asks what country you were born in or have citizenship in? I was just wondering if these things were mentioned.
On another note, I was born and raised in Egypt and have put down African American ever since I came to the US. Even my US Citizenship and my full African-American scholarship at Rutgers indicate this. I'm wondering if I can still put down African American. Thanks in advance! I'd really appreciate any insight.

Purely anecdotal, and I don't know which of you is "right", but a friend of mine from Egypt always would shy away from answering "African American" when prompted. It's called the "Arab Republic of Egypt" after all. Granted, my friend was actually Arab. If you are "black" and from Egypt then I wouldn't hesitate putting African American. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to game the system. But then again, I really have zero experience-- so if it's worked for you in the past...I don't know, do what feels right.

Should a white boy from Johannesburg put down African American?

Should a white boy from Johannesburg put down African American?

I was actually wondering this same thing! lol:p

He's not from a black racial group of Africa. So no, he should not put African American on anything.

The problem really starts to come up when kids of interracial couples have to choose something. This problem is going to get worse over time.

He's not from a black racial group of Africa. So no, he should not put African American on anything.

The problem really starts to come up when kids of interracial couples have to choose something. This problem is going to get worse over time.

What about Arabs in Egypt or Algeria? Or an Indian from Uganda? (I know a few). They are definitely not black. And yet people like OP have gotten away with African American status. What the hell does it all mean, anyway?

To fix the problem? Eliminate the loophole. Call the category simply "Black." I guess that's not politically correct though...but African American is FAR too ambiguos and actually quite misleading since, let's face it, what they are really asking about is how much pigment is in your skin. The description they list is quite explicit, and yet people still try to apply the "African American" to mean far more than what it really is intended for.

The whole thing is a mess in my eyes-- I was just pointing out the most ridiculous example.

Last edited:
What about Arabs in Egypt or Algeria? Or an Indian from Uganda? (I know a few). They are definitely not black. And yet people like OP have gotten away with African American status. What the hell does it all mean, anyway?

To fix the problem? Eliminate the loophole. Call the category simply "Black." I guess that's not politically correct though...but African American is FAR too ambiguos and actually quite misleading since, let's face it, what they are really asking about is how much pigment is in your skin. The description they list is quite explicit, and yet people still try to apply the "African American" to mean far more than what it really is intended for.

The whole thing is a mess in my eyes-- I was just pointing out the most ridiculous example.

Agreed, it is a total mess. They should just get rid of all these stuff honestly.

I agree. Formalities are often unnecessary. Whites are always called Whites. Rarely, are Whites called Europeans or Caucasian. Go one way or another. Either have a check box for every country(not ethnicity in existence) or stick to: black, non-hispanic white, asian, hispanic, native american

As for your Indian friends from Uganda. They would mark Asian. I know some Indians from Kenya and they have a similar situation.

OP, I suggest you mark down your racial ethnicity not your political nationality.

What if I'm on an African American scholarship at Rutgers University and all of my US Citizenship paperwork and Rutgers files state that I'm African American? Wouldn't I put down African American to remain consistent as well?

I would say put down African American just to remain consistent...at the end of the day, most schools will focus on your DAT and GPA not your ethnicity (I hope).

Heads will turn either way. If I was in your position I would put down your racial ethnicity. If you say you're AA, when you come in for interview you will be questioned. If you say you're not AA, you will be questioned about your AA status for your scholarship.

You don't want to come off as not knowing your proper classification. I would legally find out what you should put down. I would also contact the school itself and ask them.

I would defenitly do it. I'm Yemeni and had to apply as white which I think is unfair. I have a lot of Egyptian friends who had no problem with it. Schools are not allowed to question your race religion ethnicity and all that stuff based on what my prehealth advisor told me. I would try to apply to schools that are very diverse though like NYU or BU. good luck habibi

Members don't see this ad :)
Comment removed as I should not comment on this subject.

Last edited:
Thank you habiby :) great to know Arabic goes a long way!

Im assuming your at least 20 years old. There is no excuse for not knowing your ethnicity at this point.

Im assuming your at least 20 years old. There is no excuse for not knowing your ethnicity at this point.

There is no excuse for not knowing the difference between you're and your. (Again, assuming you are at least 20 years old, of course).

Haha thanks for ripping him before I did. haha. It's not about not knowing your ethnicity (notice the "your"). It's just very vague in terms of the options and none of the options are how I would classify myself honestly. Yemeni, those egyptian friends applied to dental school and had no issue with it? Where'd they get in or apply? Thanks again guys!

You do not think its a little off asking whether "you are" black or not all of a sudden when it comes to admissions?

Not trying to be rude but it sounds as though you are looking for an advantage. Either way, it will be a very ackward interview if you put down Black and show up to the interview as something else.

Last edited:
I HATE people like this... you know EXACTLY what you're doing and trying to get away with. I hope to God they change the category to say "black African-american" to cut out people like this that have absolutely no shame. I have a libyan 'friend', greek descent, not only from her last name but appearance. She puts down african american and gets a full pell grant. She doesn't know the first godforsaken thing about being black- one time, her mom said to her in her language in front of me "he is black but he doesn't act like it"... WTF does that mean? should i be carrying a gun dressed like a thug??. North africans are the WORST!:mad:

for the record, I'm black and I think it's ridiculous people get away with this crap.

Thanks guys for all of your help. I'll just leave it as it is. No need to argue.

To the OP:

Do you know why your scholarship at Rutgers was created in the first place? What were the requirements?

It is for the first African American Rutgers graduate. Academic credentials, special talents, extra curriculars, leadership roles, community service, work experience, awards, honors, and achievement are all taken into account. And like I said my US Citizenship states African American as well. So that's why it can create an issue either way :/

@Baker: I'm not asking if I'm black when it comes to admissions, like I said I put it down on my citizenship and all my high school stuff as well. That was just what I put down. And it also says Black or African American, thus distinguishing the two.

@ineed2stpsmurfn: I'm sorry to hear of your friend who had no idea of anything, but I was born in Africa and understand what it is like to be African American. I was also raised here in the united states in a predominantly black neighborhood, so I understood very well the racism that goes on. I'm very well versed in it to say the least. If they can eliminate the ambiguity in the categories, I would be all for it. But as of now it says black or african american and there's nothing else that better classifies me in my opinion. And to make a judgment about the entire North African population based on one libyan "friend" is completely ridiculous. That speaks enough of your character.

It is for the first African American Rutgers graduate. Academic credentials, special talents, extra curriculars, leadership roles, community service, work experience, awards, honors, and achievement are all taken into account. And like I said my US Citizenship states African American as well. So that's why it can create an issue either way :/

@Baker: I'm not asking if I'm black when it comes to admissions, like I said I put it down on my citizenship and all my high school stuff as well. That was just what I put down. And it also says Black or African American, thus distinguishing the two.

@ineed2stpsmurfn: I'm sorry to hear of your friend who had no idea of anything, but I was born in Africa and understand what it is like to be African American. I was also raised here in the united states in a predominantly black neighborhood, so I understood very well the racism that goes on. I'm very well versed in it to say the least. If they can eliminate the ambiguity in the categories, I would be all for it. But as of now it says black or african american and there's nothing else that better classifies me in my opinion. And to make a judgment about the entire North African population based on one libyan "friend" is completely ridiculous. That speaks enough of your character.

Considering that you have been putting this down the entire time you have been to the US then i would say you should be fine.
I guess the question that you are going to have to ask yourself is that, in this case,when you will have to interview with these people are they going to look at you with a confused and non understanding expression and vote no?
Do you think this would possibly be an issue when you are interviewing?

To the op:
also, forgive me if this is an ignorant question but I'm not sure as to how being born and raised in Egpyt equates to being AA?
I saw that you stated that ever since you came to the states you began putting AA but while you were in your home country it doesn't sound as though thats how you classified yourself?

If that is the criteria, than Eminem is black as well. The being born in Africa part does not matter.. if it did white south africans, etc. could claim the same thing. Hell, why don't we all just mark black? Question.. Do you consider yourself black? or just African American? I've seen egyptians and I'm sorry.. If you said you were black to a certain subset of people I know, they would probably have a hard time deciding whether to disrespect you (that's the nice term for it) or laugh in your face.

I honestly don't see the issue, if you've been putting down African American and you received an African American scholarship why change now? Casually explain yourself at the interview if they seem troubled by this but to me it seems like a no brainer?

I honestly don't see the issue, if you've been putting down African American and you received an African American scholarship why change now? Casually explain yourself at the interview if they seem troubled by this but to me it seems like a no brainer?

"Hey, you've been screwing the system all along and have got away with it, why not continue?"

Until now all he had to do was make a mark or two on a form and voila- instant money he wouldn't have had. Now, because he actually needs an interview that's face to face, is the whole reason he even came to SDN to make this thread. If he truly didn't think there was ANY problem with what he was doing, then why did he come post this thread? I nor anyone who actually is black (that I've ever heard about) sure doesn't ask for a group vote on whether I/they can mark Black/African American on forms. Of course, I/they actually are Black/African American............................

I actually had an interview for my Rutgers African American scholarship. Just for the record. But I'm done with this thread. Thank you to anyone that helped and I'm sorry for anyone that I offended.

thank you

Ethnicity and Race
Many schools want to know more about your background. Providing information about your ethnicity and race requires answering a two-part question: First, you must indicate if you consider yourself to be of Hispanic origin. Second, you may select the racial classification(s) that you use to describe yourself. You can select one or more racial classifications. Within some categories of race, you are also asked to specify your ethnicity (e.g., Asian Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, etc.). Select any classifications that you use to identify yourself.

Consider these definitions when selecting your ethnicity and race.

Hispanic or Latino
A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race

American Indian or Alaska Native
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community attachment

Asian
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent, including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands

White
A Person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa

Place of Birth/Citizenship Information

Date of Birth
Enter the month-day-year of your birth in the following format: MM/DD/YYYY.

City of Birth

State/Province of Birth
Select the state/province in which you were born from the drop-down menu box. If you were born outside the U.S./Canada, select “No State.”

Country of Birth
Select the country in which you were born from the drop-down menu box.

Country of Citizenship
Select your country of citizenship from the drop-down menu box.

State/Province of Legal Residence
Select the state/province of which you are currently a legal resident.

Number of years living in U.S.
Enter the number of years you have been living in the United States.