Etiquette on emailing Chair/ Program Director/ Faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mm883

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on directly emailing a program director/ Department Chair/ Faculty of a DPT program? If it is kind of a generic question, should this be directed more towards the administrative officers/ admissions office? I am just wondering if you would receive a favorable and timely response, or if (worst-case scenario) this could potentially backfire... is it inappropriate to email them directly and bypass the "chain of command" or whatnot....

Let me know what you think, and thanks!

MAM

Members don't see this ad.

E-mail the admissions office. They're there to answer your questions. The department chair can't be bothered with mundane questions. There's even a thread on this board called 'Ask an Admissions Officer.' Why don't you start there?

Kevin

@mm883:

I too suggest asking these types of questions on the "Ask a DPT Admissions Director" thread. It's on the front page of the Pre-PT forum.

In short: Only email outside the admissions staff if there are no other options. The consequences for contacting non-admissions staff are unknown, but the options I am aware of are all not positive.

If it's necessary to forward a question to a faculty member or program/department chair, the admissions staff will do this. When the faculty or program chair/director get an email that is misdirected, they can either:

1. Delete it.
2. Forward it quickly to the appropriate person.
3. Forward it at a leisurely pace to the appropriate person.
4. Keep it in their inbox forever.

Three of these four options are bad for a candidate, and the fourth (#2) is still an unnecessary delay.

Best,

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
[email protected]

Last edited: