Ettiquette for updating the admissions office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfiniteSatori

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of previous applicants updating the admissions offices with additional application details (such as additional hours, awards etc.). I was wondering what the decorum was to go about this?
I don't want to be obnoxious by calling every month with additional vet hours, however, I have recently done some cool things that I want the admissions committee to know about. Has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have simply sent an email stating what NEW experiences I have under my belt. I included contact info, dates, and description of duties. (I stressed NEW as I was.told not to update experiences already mentioned on applications.)

Most of my schools were very kind, thanked me for the update, and either promised to include it in my file or suggested that I bring it up if called for an interview :) Only one school told me they won't consider it as it wouldn't "be fair" to the other applicants :confused:

Do you mind telling us which schools appreciated the updates? This probably seems like a no-no to most of us since VMCAS was clear with the whole "future experiences are not considered" deal. I think I mentioned in a previous thread that experiences you did list on your VMCAS (without an ending date) suggest that you will be racking up hours, therefore you shouldn't update schools on that. But NEW stuff is a different story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind telling us which schools appreciated the updates? This probably seems like a no-no to most of us since VMCAS was clear with the whole "future experiences are not considered" deal. I think I mentioned in a previous thread that experiences you did list on your VMCAS (without an ending date) suggest that you will be racking up hours, therefore you shouldn't update schools on that. But NEW stuff is a different story.

For me, Penn, Tufts and Auburn definitely said yes. I think Illinois and Missouri said no. Not sure about CSU because I was rejected at that point I believe...or they said no. OK state I don't recall hearing back whether or not they added it.

Reactions: 1 user
Tufts was the most gracious regarding updates, and Illinois was the least. AVC suggested bringing the info up at an interview. Cornell didn't respond. For Wisconsin, the supplemental asks about new experiences so that worked out perfectly ;)

I've heard of previous applicants updating the admissions offices with additional application details (such as additional hours, awards etc.). I was wondering what the decorum was to go about this?
I don't want to be obnoxious by calling every month with additional vet hours, however, I have recently done some cool things that I want the admissions committee to know about. Has anyone done this?

I would mostly consider updating only if it boosts your application in some way. If you had zero to very little experience in one category, getting a decent chunk of hours under your belt in that category would be grounds for an update. Or if you published a paper or presented at a conference. A few more hours in a category you already have hours in isn't going to suddenly make you more competitive.

Like chittybang said, you can contact the schools and ask if they take these things into consideration. If nothing else, you have something you can discuss at your interview.

What do you all think about the opposite situation - an experience that is not going to continue for as long as your VMCAS application said it would? A volunteer commitment is ending earlier than expected (this month instead of next summer), not because I'm quitting but because my current service dog puppy is flunking for something we can't fix behaviorally (drool, drool, drool... all over the place whenever we train with food:rofl:). Should I update admissions committees so that I wouldn't get an acceptance partially based on no-longer-correct information, or assume that they realize planned volunteer commitments aren't for sure? Of course I didn't include the planned hours on VMCAS, so it's only the end date that changed.

What do you all think about the opposite situation - an experience that is not going to continue for as long as your VMCAS application said it would? A volunteer commitment is ending earlier than expected (this month instead of next summer), not because I'm quitting but because my current service dog puppy is flunking for something we can't fix behaviorally (drool, drool, drool... all over the place whenever we train with food:rofl:). Should I update admissions committees so that I wouldn't get an acceptance partially based on no-longer-correct information, or assume that they realize planned volunteer commitments aren't for sure? Of course I didn't include the planned hours on VMCAS, so it's only the end date that changed.

If it was unplanned and out of your control, and doesn't change the hours (just the end date), I'd just let it go and not worry about it. It's a perfectly reasonable and defensible position to say "That was the date I expected <whatever> to end, but it ended earlier because <reason>." If it impacted hours (I see that for you it didn't), I'd probably just shoot the school email and advise them of the change.