European/Carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPK2001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you suppose an IMG from a reputable European school bears the same stigma as a graduate from a Carribean school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. The hierarchy is this:

1. US allopathic
2. US osteopathic
3. US IMG
4. non-US IMG

Notice that, although we're not at the bottom of the heap, US IMGs are still "second class citizens." However, programs in Britain, Australia or Israel, are looked on favorably. I suppose there's a *possibility* that you would be seen as "better educated" than a Caribbean, Mexican, or other-European grad. Not sure about that, though.

Where did you get these facts from or are they just your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Euro grads from reputable Euro schools can at times be coveted. I am speaking particularly of Western Euro schools. But there are certainly others. These can offer a nice flavor to an intake. Last time I surfed the Mayo site their staff was just replete with grads from from Malta Medical School.

Also, last I surfed a certain Miami residency program, MOST of the grads were from Latin American, some from Haiti and Jamaica, and others.

Why? So they can communicate with a huge chunk of the patient population.

If one is intent upon US medicine and MUST be an IMG, they can manuever wisely and make themselves quite attractive, and at times even coveted. Language and bi-culturalism is often a key.

Oh yea, now I remember. The place in Miami is Jackson Memorial Hospital.

As for these,

1. US allopathic
2. US osteopathic
3. US IMG
4. non-US IMG

I don't think there is some nicely packaged study indicating this, but it is generally true--the conglomerate knowing of everyone who has treaded around in all this. If there is a study, someone kindly let me know.

Some residency directors switch 4 and 3, hoping to fill a role of training docs for abroad to improve levels of care abroad.
smile.gif

When or if i graduate from Royal College of Surgeons Ireland, where do i stand on the list. I was under the immpression that i would have a good chance at getting an enticing res or fellowship in the states. My father who graduated from rcsi was offered brain surgeory. That was back in the day though. I just want to know where i stand if i get respectable USMLE scores and letters of recomendation

Hi Mojo, one avenue that you may find useful is to look around and see if there is any alumni where or what you want to be doing later on. Most of the Irish schools have pretty strong alumni associations that stay tight over the years. For RCSI this is the URL:
http://www.rcsi.ie/information/college_contacts/graduate_database/

Try typing in some of cities where people might have gone (or you would like to be), like "London" or "New York" or "Dublin" or "Australia". Note this is very very rough, not everyone will list their email and perhaps more of the people that went abroad are more likely to make their contact details available than those that stay in Dublin (I sincerely doubt there is only slightly more grads in Dublin that there is in New York--also if in Dublin they may list as which suburb instead, like Blackrock). Note also that only a small portion of the class is students from North America who wish to study in Ireland, most of the class enrollment is slotted for Irish students and a heavy representation from the UAE countries who study medicine in UK and Ireland.

Hope this helps, Best wishes.

According to folks I've talked to at Loma Linda U. (which, although you may not be familiar with it, is a very prestigious Seventh Day Adventist school in Southern California, pioneers in pediatric transplant surgery, home of Dr. Leonard Bailey who did the "Baby Fae" baboon heart transplant), as well as UC Irvine, RCSI grads are NOT thought of in the same ways as Caribbean or Mexican grads (some of whom have been accepted in residencies by both schools, btw) but more like grads from Oxford, The Karolinska Inst., etc. ---definitely a big prestige edge, if not an actual competncy edge.