Ever felt like quitting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmt2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a sophomore in college. I was looking over all the requirements to become a doctor and just felt really hopeless about it. My grades are not good (overall GPA of 3.4, not sure what my science is) because right now I'm struggling a lot with my current courses. I'm pretty sure it will be bringing my GPA down a whole lot. It's a shame because my course load for next semester will probably be more difficult than it is now.

Then I read about how I'm supposed to spend a lot of my time volunteering, doing research, getting leadership experience, shadowing, and I should have a portfolio and etc, yet all I do with my time is study or work at my part time job. That's the problem is that I study so much yet I'm not getting these grades that I should be getting. I'm thinking that I'm just not cut out to be a doctor--and it makes me feel like giving up.

Do you think some people should just not become doctors? And at this point, is it too late for me to find something else to do?

Members don't see this ad.

We've discussed your GPA issues before. It's up to you to decide if should consider other careers. There are many fields that require some science background where you can help people, but don't have such high expectations for academic achievement. Why not cruise through SDN's pre-dental, pre-pharmacy, pre-optometry, pre-podiatry, etc forums and see if any of them appeal to you.

And a cGPA of 3.4 is not irredeemable, BTW.