Every year gets worse than the last.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lubeckd

Learner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
not only for pharmacy but for every other profession. Every year more and more people join the global workforce. It’s even affecting tech now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You mean every year more and more people exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
not only for pharmacy but for every other profession. Every year more and more people join the global workforce. It’s even affecting tech now
The pharmacy biz is a tough tangle to deal with...working in a chain is basically high speed drudgery..that until recently came with a guaranteed nice paycheck....The little guyz are generally better...It will put your head on wrong..It will actually distort your whole outlook...

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if- at some point in the future- lower salaries won't break the chain of retail getting worse. Maybe at a certain point new grads won't put up with the preposterous levels of bullsh*t for the small paycheck in retail. I almost have to believe this can't go on indefinitely. If no one is willing to DO the job (or people wise up and stop entering the profession all together) then maybe things can get better- that is if the profession doesn't completely go extinct by then...

I just want to know what the people that can't find jobs do....i mean, if there's no positions there's no positions, and pharmacy is not known for creating new positions like other industries....

I would imagine they realize all of the rumors were true and do something else. An expensive mistake though.

I just want to know what the people that can't find jobs do....i mean, if there's no positions there's no positions, and pharmacy is not known for creating new positions like other industries....

Suicide was not uncommon among independent druggists in the 60s as they were phased out. Rexall had to put a specific clause on suicide and business disposition in contracts. In the early 80s, real estate and menial retail labor after layoffs. The 00s were a good time. I wonder if "Learn To Code" is the wave of the 20s.

• Wow

Suicide was not uncommon among independent druggists in the 60s as they were phased out. Rexall had to put a specific clause on suicide and business disposition in contracts. In the early 80s, real estate and menial retail labor after layoffs. The 00s were a good time. I wonder if "Learn To Code" is the wave of the 20s.
I would imagine they realize all of the rumors were true and do something else. An expensive mistake though.

I have remind myself once in a while that no matter how frustrated I am at my job that I at least have a job, experience, and credentials. My nightmare would be being a leftover grad from the previous class when the new grads graduate. Some will win, but most will not. It really is like the Hunger games. I really applaud those with the mental toughness to bounce back from something like not finding a job with your terminal degree.

And with the amount of loans some of these students take out, I believe some will realize that their technician who can barely type a sig correctly have better QOL with none of the responsibility or stress.

I get it, when I was a pre-pharm browsing these boards there was already the sky is falling Megathread. And people complaining in there about too many schools opening. And you know what I thought? I thought, why are these rich people complaining? At the end of the day they are still making six figures for a easy job, in a stable career, and even if you have to move, you'll still get a job and experience and credentials. I can deal with a few un-nice patients for the good money.

Well, I did it, semi-according to plan, and I have everything I would've wanted as a Pre-pharm, including my BCPS (ooooh so prestigious!). But would I do it again? No way, for so many reasons, and if there's still any prepharm who has browsed this forum and come to the same conclusion I did 10 years ago, I hope they brought their lucky charm, cause they'll need it.

Reactions: 8 users
And trust me....our employers know it. And they're loving it...

Reactions: 4 users

I'm a c/o 2020 graduate who can't find a job (the only thing I might qualify for are chain retail jobs in extremely rural areas). It sucks, but I started reaching out to hospital DOPs all over the country (including the one at the hospital network I worked as an intern at) back in the fall of 2019 and was eventually put in touch with high-profile recruiters, including the president/owner of possibly the most established pharmacist recruiting firm, and everyone I talked to made it clear to me that I probably wouldn't be able to find anything at all unless I just got lucky. Also failed to match for residency.

Having said that, I went into the second half of my P4 year with a brutally negative (realistic) perception of the job market and began researching alternative careers back in January. At this point, I'm waiting to hear back from two computer science MS programs I applied to and am considering whether to apply to the three top-tier CS bootcamps.

So even though it sucks to be in this situation, the fact that I knew to start researching a plan B so early on still makes me feel like I'm in "student mode," so to speak, and am simply waiting to begin my next semester of classes, whether that's in a formal MS program or in a bootcamp. Still unsure as to whether or not I'll bother with getting licensed as a pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boards of Pharmacy can not improve a job market but they can make it easier finding a job.We should be able to reciprocate faster and cheaper.What is it now $375 to NABP about $350 to state $100 MPJE which is a true scam,that plus bull**** fingerprints.These kind of
regs destroy temp and travel types of jobs which new grads can really use to get some experience.I

The title of this thread has been true since 2007. The profession never recovered from its golden age and never will.

The title of this thread has been true since 2007. The profession never recovered from its golden age and never will.

The enmity of the job market is indeed nothing new. The main question though is despite being fortunate with a current job, are you or are you not saving for a pivot move in your career? The way things are going with the correlation of higher degrees getting spit out vs secure jobs, are you curious if you may need to relocate?

I ask because I also saw it coming around '07 and prepared for it long before returning to school. I'm just curious what your plans are. Simply riding the gravy train until it ends is not a substantial answer. Rather, what is it you're doing for you and your family financial wise? Sell a half million dollar home? Take a penalty fee for dipping in retirement funds? Living beneath your means to save enough to go part time and slowly make a transition?

Talking about it is one thing, I want to know what people are doing about it for themselves.

The enmity of the job market is indeed nothing new. The main question though is despite being fortunate with a current job, are you or are you not saving for a pivot move in your career? The way things are going with the correlation of higher degrees getting spit out vs secure jobs, are you curious if you may need to relocate?

I ask because I also saw it coming around '07 and prepared for it long before returning to school. I'm just curious what your plans are. Simply riding the gravy train until it ends is not a substantial answer. Rather, what is it you're doing for you and your family financial wise? Sell a half million dollar home? Take a penalty fee for dipping in retirement funds? Living beneath your means to save enough to go part time and slowly make a transition?

Talking about it is one thing, I want to know what people are doing about it for themselves.

Good question, I have always thought about what else I would do. Pharmacy was my backup plan when I got laid off from my first profession about ten years ago, so a career change wouldn't be new to me.

If I got laid off tomorrow, unemployment is pretty good right now - $500/week from the state and $600/week from federal. We wouldn't need daycare anymore so that's $1,100/mo we wouldn't have to pay. My wife's job is secure so we could probably get by for a couple years without draining our savings. But if we both lost our jobs then we could sell our house and move to a lower cost of living area. We have about $200k equity.

If I went back to school, I'd go for something with a low cost and high rate of return such as nursing or dental hygienist.

Good question, I have always thought about what else I would do. Pharmacy was my backup plan when I got laid off from my first profession about ten years ago, so a career change wouldn't be new to me.

If I got laid off tomorrow, unemployment is pretty good right now - $500/week from the state and $600/week from federal. We wouldn't need daycare anymore so that's $1,100/mo we wouldn't have to pay. My wife's job is secure so we could probably get by for a couple years without draining our savings. But if we both lost our jobs then we could sell our house and move to a lower cost of living area. We have about $200k equity.

If I went back to school, I'd go for something with a low cost and high rate of return such as nursing or dental hygienist.

Now thats an answer! I appreciate that.

I ask because I'm convinced we have a lot of people dedicated to spreading a retirement portfolio and savings and the younger folks just out of high school / undergrad as well as pharmacy are not being taught the basics of finances and only looking at a pharmacist salary BEFORE taxes and IGNORING student loans. The only thing most do understand is "beating saturation" which is a gamble I never do without a strong back-up plan.

I'm trying to work on something in the realm of finance calculators and comparisons to promote on some of the forums so people can simply plug in the numbers and really see what its like with normal expenses vs debt.

Reactions: 4 users

But people won't call you Dr. :dead:

I bought my first condo last year. I now have 6 units, currently making $3400 per month after expenses. My plan is to keep going until I can earn more from rent than I can make from my job. I at least want to have some dignity to be able to smile as I walk out when they fire me in a couple of years.

Reactions: 7 users
Isn't it a sad state of affairs that we should just be happy we are employed, no matter how miserable we may be?
There are homeless veterans worse than us. McDonalds workers living pay check to paycheck. Guardian Credit Union bank tellers making $15/hr

Also more people for less jobs and less food, less water and housing. Its going to get worse is what Im thinking in terms of resources. You are seeing this happen in usa, china and other dam nations fighting for water. brace yourself

Also more people for less jobs and less food, less water and housing. Its going to get worse is what Im thinking in terms of resources. You are seeing this happen in usa, china and other dam nations fighting for water. brace yourself

Thanos was right.

If you don't have an exit strategy out of this profession, you're going to get caught bag holding.

I'm only a 2018 grad. I can honestly say the profession has been good to me, from starting out as a tech almost a decade ago to working as a pharmacist now. On top of that, I enjoy it. I'll do it as long as it's there.

But you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see where pharmacist career prospects and income potential are headed. The fat will be trimmed.

Plan ahead. Make moves. Prepare yourself for the future. Especially if you're young and have many years of income potential ahead of you.

If you don't have an exit strategy out of this profession, you're going to get caught bag holding.

I'm only a 2018 grad. I can honestly say the profession has been good to me, from starting out as a tech almost a decade ago to working as a pharmacist now. On top of that, I enjoy it. I'll do it as long as it's there.

But you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see where pharmacist career prospects and income potential are headed. The fat will be trimmed.

Plan ahead. Make moves. Prepare yourself for the future. Especially if you're young and have many years of income potential ahead of you.
Teachers leave the profession within 5 years

I bought my first condo last year. I now have 6 units, currently making $3400 per month after expenses. My plan is to keep going until I can earn more from rent than I can make from my job. I at least want to have some dignity to be able to smile as I walk out when they fire me in a couple of years.
I hope you are in a landlord friendly state. How are you dealing with tenants with loss of income right now?

All of my tenants are still paying. People will adapt. I will just have more folks living together. I do have headaches sometimes, but I do not have 40 hours worth of headaches every week like I have in pharmacy. For the last 6 months, I have gotten $3200 each month. Trust me, everything is not perfect, but I will not just sit around and wait for my head to get cut off by my pharmacy supervisor.

I have remind myself once in a while that no matter how frustrated I am at my job that I at least have a job, experience, and credentials. My nightmare would be being a leftover grad from the previous class when the new grads graduate. Some will win, but most will not. It really is like the Hunger games. I really applaud those with the mental toughness to bounce back from something like not finding a job with your terminal degree.

And with the amount of loans some of these students take out, I believe some will realize that their technician who can barely type a sig correctly have better QOL with none of the responsibility or stress.

I get it, when I was a pre-pharm browsing these boards there was already the sky is falling Megathread. And people complaining in there about too many schools opening. And you know what I thought? I thought, why are these rich people complaining? At the end of the day they are still making six figures for a easy job, in a stable career, and even if you have to move, you'll still get a job and experience and credentials. I can deal with a few un-nice patients for the good money.

Well, I did it, semi-according to plan, and I have everything I would've wanted as a Pre-pharm, including my BCPS (ooooh so prestigious!). But would I do it again? No way, for so many reasons, and if there's still any prepharm who has browsed this forum and come to the same conclusion I did 10 years ago, I hope they brought their lucky charm, cause they'll need it.
Teachers leave the profession within 5 years

Ugh. I literally felt my testosterone drop listening to that.

Well I certainly don't make enough to consider these golden handcuffs, but bronze handcuffs maybe?

My worst techs make more than teachers, I think about alot of the teachers I've had and I gotta say, I can't believe they stayed in education. Well, except for one guy who made a fortune in business and taught for fun.

Well I certainly don't make enough to consider these golden handcuffs, but bronze handcuffs maybe?

My worst techs make more than teachers, I think about alot of the teachers I've had and I gotta say, I can't believe they stayed in education. Well, except for one guy who made a fortune in business and taught for fun.

Do teachers really make that little? In my area, average teacher pay is $80-90k. That's better pay than new pharmacists considering they get summers off.

The Unites States of America gets worse every year. Terrible country to live.