Everything You Needed to Know about Caribbean Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SAF12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen so much misinformation over the years that as a current caribbean medical student who has both experienced and researched the subject I needed to clear the air on what it is and what it isn't so people can make an informed choice on the subject. I'll try to be as thorough as possible without being overly long.


Q

What are my chances of becoming a practicing physician if I go to a caribbean medical school?

A

This is a complex question and it really depends largely on which caribbean school you attend. If you go to SGU you likely have the best chances which is why it is typically considered amongst both AMGs and IMGs to be #1. I would say SGU likely lost about 10 to 20% of its starting class which may seem harsh however keep in mind even some US MD schools lose a % of their class every year for various reasons. Most of these students are lost during basic science which are the first two years that occur in the classroom as they are overall a lot more challenging to pass than clinical years. Their official numbers state 93% of students who graduate match into residency and go in to be practicing physicians however some think these numbers may be a little fudged. Based on students I know I'd be surprised if it's any lower than 85% therefore if you go to Sgu you have about a 78- 85% chance if becoming a practicing physician from the day you enter the door. Now this is a far cry from some of the lesser known schools such as MUA , AUA etc in which about 50% match into residency and about 50% make it through basic science years. In those schools your chances land at about 25%.The other big four schools Ross, AUC , and SABA will have numbers slightly worse than SGU mostly because of a larger loss of students in basic science years. I wish I could give more concrete numbers but I simply don't know them. Point is if you must go carribean go SGU or at least big four. For comparison DO and USMD schools likely put you around 90-97%% chance of going from MS1 to Resident. Keep in mind a lot of these numbers are not offical but really based on what Ive been told and heard form various sources.


Why do these students not make it through to residency?

This is really multi faceted. For most it's simply that they can't handle the course load. There are two types of students at carribean schools. Those that studied hard their whole life and just could get the grades/ MCAT for USMD and those who slacked off in college but still want to be doctors. For the former if they couldn't hack it in college there is a chance they won't be able to in Med school either. There is a certain curriculum you must teach to be accredited as a medical school that can be licensed in the US so no matter where you go you'll get around the same education and it's not easy. In the latter there are those that simply don't want to buckle down and therefore don't study to the level needed to keep up with the curriculum. Besides that there is the matter of residency which mostly boils down to USMLE scores , at least for IMGs. If someone passes but gets a low scores on their usmle it can be difficult to match because the averages have gone up so much In recent years.


How hard are Caribbean medical schools?

You'll hear so many horror stories about caribbean schools that you'd think they are trying to fail you and even at SGU every time a difficult exam was written the rumors would again start to fly. In my opinion they are just that… Rumors. Medical school is hard because medicine is hard however I can honestly say if you dedicate yourself to studying I believe just about anyone with around average intelligence can pass and even excel. The big difference with Caribbean schools is they simply don't give the individual attention that US schools do. At a US school they will do everything to make sure every student passes , holding your hand the whole way. At a caribbean school due to either an excess number of students or lack of resources there are limited avenues for struggling students. Yes they offer tutoring from classmates and yes you can always talk to professors but it's simply not the same level of care that you'll get at a US school. For the most part it's up to you to pass and if you can't then you'll maybe get one more chance before you're gone.


What is the difference between a US grad and Caribbean grad?

For the most part it comes down to name and the general rule that the US protects their own. The vast majority of residency programs will take a US graduate over an IMG or international medical graduate , what caribbean students are, regardless of stats , unless the difference is glaring and potentially harmful. Increasingly university programs are having policies of no IMGs. I know and have even worked with many US graduates of both MD and DO and I can honestly say there is no true difference in training or general level of competence between US and foreign graduates. Medical accreditation has become far too standardized for there to be large differences between the way schools are run and train their students. In my opinion you'll put yourself In The best position for residency matching if you go to a US school , MD > DO simply due to the fact that US prefers its’ own so heavily. If there is any true difference between the two schools it is the way US schools open up opportunities to things such as research and networking however those are once again school specific . Keep in mind though they can make a big difference in where you eventually match and how prestigious your name may one day be. As anything in life a big name, Harvard, carries a lot of weight but for the most part once you finish residency it's your competence not your school that really matters when being considered for a job.


What kind of Doctor can I be coming from a caribbean school?

While there are always exceptions understand that the vast majority of caribbean graduates will end up matching in Internal Medicine, pediatrics, family medicine , or psychiatry. Obgyn anesthesia, surgery and ER being somewhat doable depending on your level of competitiveness. This is because these are the most IMG friendly residencies to get. Does this mean you can't get dermatology? No, however get ready for an Everest level uphill battle in which any single mistake can take you out of the running completely. Another thing to understand is that while some of these sound pretty close to what US grads match in, we simply don't match in the same programs. USMD programs typically being higher tier university programs and giving a higher chance at matching the more lucrative fellowships such as cardiology , and gastroenterology.


What is the future of caribbean medical schools?

As it stands currently Id say it is getting more difficult for caribbean graduates to match into a residency position. This is mainly due to the increase in US graduates and stagnant number of residency positions. While you may see an article being passed around (this one got me too) that states there will be no more IMG spots in a few years this simply isn't the case. Currently there are thousands of residency positions every year filled by IMGs and while there are less and less every year we are a long way from none. In my opinion there will eventually be a push to greatly increase the number of residency positions as the doctor to patient ratio gets dangerously skewed however there is no telling if or when that will actually happen. For now just know that a time In which no IMGs get a residency is far off however the number will drop year after year for the foreseeable future. If you plan on going caribbean and want to be safe, don't dip below the bottom quartile of the class and you'll have little trouble matching in something, graduating from a top four caribbean school.


If all of this is true Why do US MDs hate IMGs so much.


If you go through SDN you'll see a US grad badmouthing IMGs and caribbean schools everywhere.I've met a lot of US grads from personal friends, colleagues , to just people met on the interview trail and I can honestly say they do NOT hate IMGS by any means. Most US MDs I've met have been very nice and have not been condescending in the least bit. it's my opinion that something about sdn posters makes them more likely to post negative comments , or it may just be something about people who like posting anonymously on the internet.


Should I go to a Caribbean school?

Obviously this is a personal decision and one in which you'll have to weigh your options. If you can get into a US school then in my opinion you should go. Many top Caribbean students will tell you they could've gotten into DO but simply wanted to be an MD and I'd say most now regret that decision due to just how much harder it is to match in certain specialities come residency time. There's a good chance you'll change your mind a lot before finishing medical school and you want as many doors open to you as possible. With that said however there are tricky situations in which you're not competitive enough for US medical school now but if you do a masters or post back you may be in the future. Now if you listen to sdn they'd all say no question you should get the masters/ post-back but Its not that simple. I know many people in Caribbean schools who have masters sometimes even multiple ones and still ended up in the caribbean. Also, going DO may not be enough of an advantage to justify 2 or three extra years out of school as many of the most coveted universities are mostly USMD only so the jump may be only slight if you're going into a field like internal medicine or pediatrics. For the most part I'd say if you have your heart set on anything but internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine , psych and you KNOW you'll be a competitive applicant by adding another degree or doing a post back then it's worth doing otherwise you're really just wasting years and racking more debt for little in return. If I went back I would 100% still apply caribbean. I worked my butt off and pulled Usmle scores in the 90th%, applied Internal medicine and now have interviews at some really great places both university and community. While I'm not a typical story taking a few years to get a masters really wouldn't have changed anything in my future as a physician even if I decide to do a fellowship. On the flip of that I have friends who have bought into the USMD or none policy so much that they graduated college before me and are still racking up masters degrees and retaking the MCAT in the hopes of making it into a USMD school. Is that really worth it? In my opinion no but once again it’s not my decision.Good Luck Feel free to post with any further questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, from what I've heard, if you do need to go overseas, Poland and Czech Republic are better options than the Caribbeans. Apparently, there are school (ex. Jagiellonian and Charles) that have English speaking programs for Americans. The tuition is $10-15K/year (vs $50K/year for SGU) and they don't have the bad rap among PD's the Caribbeans have. You're still an IMG, but you could probably make a case for why you studied in Eastern Europe.

This is coming from a friend who went to Jagiellonian and matched Neurology in the US. He is Catholic and that university is Pope John Paul II's Alma Mater, so he had an angle. He also had a lot less debt (like $60K(?)), than if he went to SGU or AUA ($250-300K).

Honestly, if I couldn't matriculate in a DO after a couple of times, I would probably go into another career field.
 
Just read your thread. Thanks for the info. Just curious is the 80% match rate in DO only for Allo Residencies or is it AOA and Allo residencies combined?
Only for allo. With their own residencies they actually have a higher match rate than MD...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Any American medical school with this type of attrition would be shut by its accreditors.

The reason one sees hostility on SDN to the Carib diploma mills is because they engage in educational malpractice.


A

This is a complex question and it really depends largely on which caribbean school you attend. If you go to SGU you likely have the best chances which is why it is typically considered amongst both AMGs and IMGs to be #1. I would say SGU likely lost about 10 to 20% of its starting class which may seem harsh however keep in mind even some US MD schools lose a % of their class every year for various reasons.
 
You say there is a lot of misinformation this site about Carribean schools but what exactly do you specifically object to? What specifically do you object to that SDN says about the Carribbean beyond the fact they sound mean when they talk about the carib?

We have Adcom after adcom after adcom on this site with no vested interest for or against the Caribbean say 10+ years ago the Caribbean was a semi viable option for pursing less competitive fields. Now it no longer is. Times change

Your post honestly just sounds like a sales pitch carribean schools themselves sell to get vulnerable and childish applicants to buy into. There simply is no disputing the fact Caribbean schools would be shut down in the US if they existed in there and were LCME accredited.
 
If you go through SDN you'll see a US grad badmouthing IMGs and caribbean schools everywhere.I've met a lot of US grads from personal friends, colleagues , to just people met on the interview trail and I can honestly say they do NOT hate IMGS by any means. Most US MDs I've met have been very nice and have not been condescending in the least bit. it's my opinion that something about sdn posters makes them more likely to post negative comments , or it may just be something about people who like posting anonymously on the internet.

Considering the Caribbean to be a poor option is not the same thing as hating IMGs. The issue isn't personal. By your own numbers, there is a really good chance that a student who enrolls in a Caribbean school will not end up completing residency. It's a bad idea to take on a ton of debt if there is a significant chance that you will not become a practicing physician. I don't dislike people who take this risk, but I sure as hell wouldn't advise anyone to join their ranks.
 
I've noticed there seems to be a lot shills for Caribbean medical schools on here. NOT saying you are, OP.

Looking through other posts, whenever this topic comes up, there will one or two posters that will write an extremely long, too formal, and overly positive posts about the schools. They will try to appeal to authority (e.g. I know 3 guy who graduated SGU and are now in Anesthesiology residencies at UCLA.)
 
To respond to some of your comments

@WedgeDawg - To your comment about aptitude. As I described above there are many students in the caribbean who are there not due to lack of aptitude but because they made a few mistakes in college. I would be a perfect example in which my high school did not prepare me for the rigors of college and my grades in my first years suffered so much it would have been impossible to come back. Once in medical school I excelled and obtained USMLE scores that would be top in any medical school in the US. As I also said my position would not have changed much had I gone to a DO school I would simply have to put in another year or two ,to boost my gpa.If you look at the average USMLE scores from 20 years ago they would barely be passing today. By your definition of aptitude most practicing doctors should not have gone to medical school.


@JohnConstantine511 - I am not sure where you heard going to Poland or Czech is a good idea but from everything I've seen you are much better off going Caribbean. This is due to the fact that Caribbean schools do all clinical rotations in the US while many Polish and Czech schools do not. US clinical experience is highly prefered so much so that it is often listed on residency application websites for programs. Also, there are so many Caribbean doctors from SGU and Ross around that some hospitals have a level of trust with them leading to those students getting preferentially chosen. I have friends who went to Poland for medical school and their prospects are significantly less compared to their counterparts at big 4 Caribbean schools.


@Goro - While I cannot comment on LCGME accreditation it is important to keep in mind that the big four Caribbean schools are accredited in all 50 states and Ross, SGU, and AUC are eligible for government loans. The licensing body in that state and the US Federal government feel they have met a certain standard. Honestly after going through medical school in the Caribbean I can say while it is difficult , as I imagine all medical schools would be, it is completely doable. There really wasn't a single instance, in hindsight, where I felt I was being intentionally failed. Even when I felt I was, once the grades were released it was clear the school realized their mistake ( the test was too hard) and curved accordingly however this was fairly rare, only occurring twice my entire time down there. There were instances where I felt the teaching was very poor , as there were instances I felt the teaching was superb. If they are guilty of anything its letting in too many under qualified students not intentionally failing anyone, however I can say from speaking with enough students it is VERY difficult to make predictions on future potential based on previous grades/MCAT which is why US medical school , especially MD, make the standards so incredibly high that the uncertainty drops to a very low number. Ive met perfect 4.0 students who have struggled in the Caribbean and those with mediocre grades in college who have jumped to the top of the class. It really is difficult to know when you get to those just below the standard of US medical school but with clear signs they are gifted. If I have any gripe with them it would be to make an effort to take in less students and therefore have more pass through but as it is a for-profit company they are , unfortunately, unlikely to do so.In summary, if you have the motivation and the will you WILL make it through, atleast at the big four and specifically SGU. I was often in the library 8+ hours a day and everyone who was there with me passed even when I could tell concepts did not come easy to them. On the flip side there were those students who basically slacked off most days and still passed ( don’t kid yourself the US has those students too). In the caribbean you are the master of your own destiny.


@grapes of Wrath - Everything I have listed here is as honest as I can be after going through the entire process. A lot of the misinformation I am referring to are from people such as yourself who dismiss every positive thing said about the caribbean as being a sales pitch and list is as an option that is completely non-viable. It is a viable , although more risky option to becoming a doctor. The Caribbean is a risk as I have listed above , going so far as to give numbers as to how risky they are overall. Because I did not state that “these schools are a scam DO NOT GO” I must be an ad man for the school. This is the kind of mis-information I am trying to avoid. I know numerous students who didn't make it into DO or MD and are going to match in March and become , I have no doubt, great doctors. On the flip side Ive met those who couldn't make it through a caribbean school and went DO and even MD in one instance and also will match and be great doctors. We need to accept that the admission process for medical school isn't so full proof and, from all I've seen over the years, proves more that that you had parents who could put you in the right high schools to give you a leg up when entering college than that you are naturally gifted enough to become a physician. To assume things are so black and white that you either are meant to be a doctor at 21 upon finishing college or not is, in my opinion, incredibly flawed. Not saying anyone can do it but there is certainly some gray in between.


If there was anything I wanted to say with all of this it is that just because you don’t have the grades for a US medical school it doesn't mean you can’t or shouldn't be a doctor. The fact that most applicants 20 or 30 years ago wouldn't be viable candidates today makes that perfectly clear. There are many paths to becoming a doctor and the caribbean is a viable one. Ive layed out all the risks of attending one so a student can make an informed decision as to if the caribbean is for them. It is certainly not a choice you should make lightly but still a choice worth considering before you completely give-up.
 
@Goro - While I cannot comment on LCGME accreditation it is important to keep in mind that the big four Caribbean schools are accredited in all 50 states and Ross, SGU, and AUC are eligible for government loans. The licensing body in that state and the US Federal government feel they have met a certain standard.

The LCME accredits medical schools in the US, the ACGME accredits allopathic residency programs. There is no such thing as the LCGME. Furthermore, the big four have not been accredited in all 50 states, rather their graduates are eligible to be licensed in all 50 states if they satisfactorily complete post-graduate training requirements and pass Step 3. Assuming, of course, that said graduates can obtain residency training positions in the first place.

The process by which these schools become eligible for federal loans is somewhat convoluted. A body inside the DoE, called the NCFMEA, determines if the accrediting standards of foreign accrediting bodies are comparable to the LCME's. If yes, then schools accredited by those bodies may become eligible. The DoE itself does not accredit the schools, nor is it directly involved in determining how rigorous or honest the accreditation process is for those schools.

Three of the big four , including SGU, do have special status in the US since they have carved out substantial clerkship space for their students in some locations on US soil. They have done this through significant financial incentives provided to sponsoring hospitals. It is interesting to note, however, that some states, like Texas, have moved to ban IMG/FMG students from undertaking clerkships in their hospitals.
 
This is what is politely known as a bribe.



Three of the big four , including SGU, do have special status in the US since they have carved out substantial clerkship space for their students in some locations on US soil. They have done this through significant financial incentives provided to sponsoring hospitals. It is interesting to note, however, that some states, like Texas, have moved to ban IMG/FMG students from undertaking clerkships in their hospitals.[/QUOTE]
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Goro
This isn't a bribe as that would assume this is in someway dishonest. These schools get payed tuition which they then pass on to the hospitals in exchange for clinical training. Once completed clinical training many of the sites take the students who rotated there because they know them. This is done at just about every hospital in the country but in the case of US schools, hospitals will do it for free rather than for any monetary exchange as they have an official affiliation. With many hospitals currently closing in metro areas this kind of monetary exchange often helps keep the hospitals running. Once again the clinical rotations must be accredited just like any other part of the curriculum so they are all similar.

@Med Ed Thanks for clearing that up. The Texas thing is sounds like more of a push to protect their current clinical training spots for their own graduates. If they truly thought the training was sub-par they wouldn't allow Caribbean graduates to match in that state.
 
OP, can you clarify which school you work for? I'm assuming SGU, but you should clarify and let your biases/conflicts of interest be known at the beginning of the post.
 
Something I want to be clear about. I am NOT an employee of any Medical School, Ive been posting on SDN since 2009 on various topics. The fact that people are accusing me of such points to the general dislike for Caribbean schools on SDN. If I was anything but objective its because of my own bias, as a caribbean medical student, which bleed into anyones discussion no matter what the topic. I wrote what I believe to be the best guide to what to expect if you go Caribbean because I really haven't seen one that lays it out like this on SDN yet. As a caribbean student I would have very much appreciated the above advice before I attended. People will continue going to Caribbean schools no matter what you post because people want to be doctors, at least now they know what they are getting themselves into and what they can expect which was my only goal. The debate we got in afterward was inevitable and I honestly regret I even got into the role of defending Caribbean schools because I don't want that to take away from the original advice I posted. When you go through a Caribbean school you admittedly get defensive when you see people post negative comments because of the number of gifted students Ive seen and friends Ive made going through the process. On a personal level I have a disdain for any for-profit educational institution however that is a moral/political belief and I didn't want it bleeding into this discussion. In no way am I saying Caribbean schools are the moral savior of the struggling pre-med, at the end of the day it is a business and you will feel that while attending but that is a different discussion. Also if you think a Caribbean school would ever say the things I said above then you have never actually heard a talk by one of these schools. SGU would never dream of telling students the things I have posted above. If anyone is thinking about going Caribbean feel free to PM me or post here and Ill give as honest advice as I can give. Good luck to everyone on the application cycle.
 
To SAF12, nice post. The truth of the matter is it is very difficult to get a competive MCAT score. I view the Carribean schools as a hail mary meaning if you can get good USMLE scores you can get a good residency. Just realize if your step I score is not up to snuff you are not going to be happy.
 
@WedgeDawg - To your comment about aptitude. As I described above there are many students in the caribbean who are there not due to lack of aptitude but because they made a few mistakes in college. I would be a perfect example in which my high school did not prepare me for the rigors of college and my grades in my first years suffered so much it would have been impossible to come back. Once in medical school I excelled and obtained USMLE scores that would be top in any medical school in the US. As I also said my position would not have changed much had I gone to a DO school I would simply have to put in another year or two ,to boost my gpa.If you look at the average USMLE scores from 20 years ago they would barely be passing today. By your definition of aptitude most practicing doctors should not have gone to medical school.

I will respond to this by saying that if you apply DO, you can literally replace grades that you have gotten with new ones if you retake the class. The old grade essentially falls off your transcript, so if you had a couple of bad years, you can go back and retake classes and bring your GPA up very very quickly with some As. Once you get in DO, you have a placement rate of over 99% (according to another thread in one of the osteopathic forums), rather than the whatever% being thrown around for Caribbean schools. And if you fail to match as a non-negligible % coming out of the Caribbean do, that's it, game over, you're done, goodbye medicine, hello nearly half a million dollars in non-dischargeable debt and no career.

Also recall that I said "if you don't have the aptitude or the discipline". If you have (or acquire) both, you should easily be able to retake classes to the point where you're competitive for DO schools (3.0+ GPA) and get a 500+ on the MCAT. If you're "smart but lazy" and think just because you screwed up in college you can magically handle medical school, you're going to be sorely disappointed in your results once you hit medical school. If you have the discipline but still cannot manage to either pull your GPA up to a 3.0 or break a 500 MCAT, you either need to figure out why your study habits aren't working for you, or accept that you might just not have the aptitude for the sciences that you need to survive medical school and be a practicing physician (generally the problem will be study habits rather than aptitude).

If someone kills Step 1, they're better off doing it coming from a DO school than from a Caribbean school because they will have 1) a better chance of matching and 2) will likely match to a better program. The 1-2 years spent raising your grades enough to get into a DO school are a good investment because 1) they will help you develop study habits that will benefit you in medical school and 2) if you put those 1-2 years in up front, you significantly reduce the chances of putting years in between graduating medical school and starting residency, which, coming from the Caribbean, will absolutely kill your chances and make that pre-residency period indefinite.

Finally, regarding your comment about USMLE scores, realize that, as with any standardized test, scores haven't increased primarily because people have gotten smarter, but because people have gotten better at taking standardized tests, more and better test prep materials have emerged, people are preparing earlier, and the stakes have gotten higher. Step 1 used to be "pass and you're good", but now your score will determine where and in what specialty you can get a residency, so your argument doesn't really hold water.

I make this post not to try to convince you, as I have the feeling that no matter what I say, that will be unlikely, but to present the others side of the argument for the countless people that will be looking through these forums on advice as to whether or not they should go to the Caribbean for medical school.
 
...
Three of the big four , including SGU, do have special status in the US since they have carved out substantial clerkship space for their students in some locations on US soil. They have done this through significant financial incentives provided to sponsoring hospitals. It is interesting to note, however, that some states, like Texas, have moved to ban IMG/FMG students from undertaking clerkships in their hospitals.
[/QUOTE]


I will weigh in on this point and take issue with something OP wrote in the initial post. A number of us US med school grads have rotated as residents at some of these contracted clerkship sites at community hospitals financially arranged by US schools and can attest that the training is really not the same. In fact IMHO we are probably the only ones who can weigh in on this topic because we have first hand experience with both forms of clerkship rotation.

The offshore rotations are "lite" versions of what US students do. The biggest reason is that unlike US clerkship sites, the community sites that host clerkships for SGU, Ross, etc are competing for fees with other community sites, so they want students to report back to their school that they had an amazing time. So rotations give out swag bags (t-shirt and coffee mug are common), free food/coffee, have nice relaxing schedules, really don't have much recourse for those who show up late, leave early, don't shine. Call schedules are minimal. The goal is less to teach medicine and more to have these students report back to their schools that the rotation was great, to keep that gravy train going.

By contrast some of us US grads were worked pretty hard, came and went and took call like the residents, were pimped pretty mercilessly by everyone, and learned a ton on our rotations. The difference was night and day. A lot of what occurred daily at the clerkship for offshore students simply wouldn't fly at the US clerkship. I don't really blame the offshore students-- many were quite bright/good. But let's not pretend they came out of these lite residencies with equivalent training as ready to run the wards.

And the PDs all know this, which is, in big part why the preference for US grads is quite reasonable. Because frankly even the worst US grad struggled through a clerkship that will have prepared him/her better for the wards.
 
I will weigh in on this point and take issue with something OP wrote in the initial post. A number of us US med school grads have rotated as residents at some of these contracted clerkship sites at community hospitals financially arranged by US schools and can attest that the training is really not the same. In fact IMHO we are probably the only ones who can weigh in on this topic because we have first hand experience with both forms of clerkship rotation.

The offshore rotations are "lite" versions of what US students do. The biggest reason is that unlike US clerkship sites, the community sites that host clerkships for SGU, Ross, etc are competing for fees with other community sites, so they want students to report back to their school that they had an amazing time. So rotations give out swag bags (t-shirt and coffee mug are common), free food/coffee, have nice relaxing schedules, really don't have much recourse for those who show up late, leave early, don't shine. Call schedules are minimal. The goal is less to teach medicine and more to have these students report back to their schools that the rotation was great, to keep that gravy train going.

By contrast some of us US grads were worked pretty hard, came and went and took call like the residents, were pimped pretty mercilessly by everyone, and learned a ton on our rotations. The difference was night and day. A lot of what occurred daily at the clerkship for offshore students simply wouldn't fly at the US clerkship. I don't really blame the offshore students-- many were quite bright/good. But let's not pretend they came out of these lite residencies with equivalent training as ready to run the wards.

And the PDs all know this, which is, in big part why the preference for US grads is quite reasonable. Because frankly even the worst US grad struggled through a clerkship that will have prepared him/her better for the wards.

This is interesting, but I was under the impression that many people who match from schools like SGU, match at places they rotate at. So why would they pick students they know are inadequately prepared?
 
Any American medical school with this type of attrition would be shut by its accreditors.
You mean LCME-accredited schools only. A few DO schools have ~10% attrition and are still going.
 
This is interesting, but I was under the impression that many people who match from schools like SGU, match at places they rotate at. So why would they pick students they know are inadequately prepared?

Simple. If it's a place that primarilly attracts offshore applicants for its residencies (translation -- undesirable to US grads because of geography or malignancy), at least it has the opportunity to take those offshore grads they worked with and liked. They aren't taking them over US grads, but if you are forced to take an offshore grad, why not take the SGU guy who rotated here and wasn't a total tool over the Ross person who is an unknown.
 
Simple. If it's a place that primarilly attracts offshore applicants for its residencies (translation -- undesirable to US grads because of geography or malignancy), at least it has the opportunity to take those offshore grads they worked with and liked. They aren't taking them over US grads, but if you are forced to take an offshore grad, why not take the SGU guy who rotated here and wasn't a total tool over the Ross person who is an unknown.

Fair play.
 
Fair play.

Nobody cares about fair play. PDs want to select people who won't give them ulcers and headaches. Someone who they can trust alone on the wards overnight in fairly short order. Meaning they want someone who won't have issues with a steep learning curve, is smart enough to pass boards and inservice exams, and who the attendings won't call him about complaining. If a program isn't competing for the best and brightest, or best trained, as many of these community places aren't, at least you can get a guy a few attendings didn't hate.
 
Nobody cares about fair play. PDs want to select people who won't give them ulcers and headaches. Someone who they can trust alone on the wards overnight in fairly short order. Meaning they want someone who won't have issues with a steep learning curve, is smart enough to pass boards and inservice exams, and who the attendings won't call him about complaining. If a program isn't competing for the best and brightest, or best trained, as many of these community places aren't, at least you can get a guy a few attendings didn't hate.

ha, what I meant by that was "makes sense".
 
Honestly, from what I've heard, if you do need to go overseas, Poland and Czech Republic are better options than the Caribbeans. Apparently, there are school (ex. Jagiellonian and Charles) that have English speaking programs for Americans. The tuition is $10-15K/year (vs $50K/year for SGU) and they don't have the bad rap among PD's the Caribbeans have. You're still an IMG, but you could probably make a case for why you studied in Eastern Europe.

This is coming from a friend who went to Jagiellonian and matched Neurology in the US. He is Catholic and that university is Pope John Paul II's Alma Mater, so he had an angle. He also had a lot less debt (like $60K(?)), than if he went to SGU or AUA ($250-300K).

Honestly, if I couldn't matriculate in a DO after a couple of times, I would probably go into another career field.
Though this is true, a friend of mine came back to America during med school at Jagiellonian and then spent a year building up an app to apply in America. Not sure why, but I'm sure she realized it was better to go to med school here.
 
I will weigh in on this point and take issue with something OP wrote in the initial post. A number of us US med school grads have rotated as residents at some of these contracted clerkship sites at community hospitals financially arranged by US schools and can attest that the training is really not the same. In fact IMHO we are probably the only ones who can weigh in on this topic because we have first hand experience with both forms of clerkship rotation.

The offshore rotations are "lite" versions of what US students do. The biggest reason is that unlike US clerkship sites, the community sites that host clerkships for SGU, Ross, etc are competing for fees with other community sites, so they want students to report back to their school that they had an amazing time. So rotations give out swag bags (t-shirt and coffee mug are common), free food/coffee, have nice relaxing schedules, really don't have much recourse for those who show up late, leave early, don't shine. Call schedules are minimal. The goal is less to teach medicine and more to have these students report back to their schools that the rotation was great, to keep that gravy train going.

By contrast some of us US grads were worked pretty hard, came and went and took call like the residents, were pimped pretty mercilessly by everyone, and learned a ton on our rotations. The difference was night and day. A lot of what occurred daily at the clerkship for offshore students simply wouldn't fly at the US clerkship. I don't really blame the offshore students-- many were quite bright/good. But let's not pretend they came out of these lite residencies with equivalent training as ready to run the wards.

And the PDs all know this, which is, in big part why the preference for US grads is quite reasonable. Because frankly even the worst US grad struggled through a clerkship that will have prepared him/her better for the wards.[/QUOTE]


That swag bad stuff cannot be real? hahaha noooo lol It's like they get souvenirs for their half-asses rotations???? WHAT?

In your experience and opinion, being that many DO programs do not have access to top quality rotation sites AS compared to their MD brethren, are the DO students worked just as hard and do they get quality experience that PDs can attest to (atleast the ones who aren't biased to the initials)?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Though this is true, a friend of mine came back to America during med school at Jagiellonian and then spent a year building up an app to apply in America. Not sure why, but I'm sure she realized it was better to go to med school here.

At this point any american med school would be better than overseas. Good for your friend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
...

That swag bad stuff cannot be real? hahaha noooo lol It's like they get souvenirs for their half-asses rotations???? WHAT?

In your experience and opinion, being that many DO programs do not have access to top quality rotation sites AS compared to their MD brethren, are the DO students worked just as hard and do they get quality experience that PDs can attest to (atleast the ones who aren't biased to the initials)?

Swag bags are 100% real, sadly.
I can't attest to DO rotations because I haven't witnessed one.
 
@WedgeDawg Don’t be so quick to assume Ill agree one way or the other. As I said I’m not a Caribbean Fanboy only someone trying to give honest advice as a student who when through the process. I actually was not aware of the program you speak of where you replace your grades fully. Honestly if you can do that and only take off a year that does sound like a pretty good option for many and I would certainly recommend it over going to the Caribbean in the vast majority of circumstances. At that point if you can’t get over a 3.0 , which I am believing you in saying that is what is needed. then you are likely correct in saying that you would struggle in any medical school and would likely fail out of a caribbean school as well.
 
As for others on here all I can say is Wow I knew Id get a level of Caribbean hate on SDN but I wasn’t prepared for this. For so many to comment so concretely on a school they have never even attended is shocking. What is really frustrating is how everyone loves to take the worst scenarios and expound it to every caribbean school all the time. I even called up some of my USMD friends including one who transferred from the caribbean, having to redo clinicals, to ask about the difference in clinical training. Im sure I will be immediately discredited as working for SGU or whatever it is but from what I gather the honest difference between USMD and Carribean clinical training overall is similar to what I listed with basic sciences. With so many students and no home base to operate there simply isn't the same level of individualised attention for that reason , from what I have been told, USMD do on average get better training because 1) they’re program is more standardized , and better formatted because it is at one or few sites and closely overseen by one governing body 2) is at a university hospital where teaching is made more of a priority and the attendings and residents are more scholastic 3)Is overall given more oversight because US schools are smaller and have more iindividualized attention. All of this DOES lead to a better clinical experience and therefore overall likely better clinical training however that difference depends largely on where you are placed for rotations. All this talk of goody bags and sham rotations are the exception , at least at the top Caribbean schools ,NOT the rule. Ive personally never heard of a goody bag being given in my life and Ive spoken with caribbean students how have rotated at dozens of hospitals. I do know there are some rotation sites that take it a lot easier than others. With all this said I know of many US graduates who have significantly more time off for vacation and have a good number of cush rotations given to them however as I said USMD cores will, on average, likely be superior to caribbean for the above stated reasons. As for DO rotations I can not comment specifically on them however I do know many students at some top DO schools and I can say they're training is not significantly better than the training received by caribbean graduates. Once again I do not know generally but only on what I have seen, heard, and read. I know of a few caribbean rotation sites where you are worked full resident hours or more , sometimes going over 80+ for the week going Q4 calls and having a resident level patient loads however it is once again site specific. Now imagine if I posted that as the rule for Caribbean rotations, Id be crucified however if a US graduate says all Caribbean med students get goody bags on entry come in late and leave early every day everyone agrees. We are all intelligent human beings here who get tested on bias. Can someone please at least admit that those posting here are extremely quick to agree with anything negative posted about the Caribbean and also quick to dismiss anything positive. Im really tired of defending Caribbean schools because overall these are cash grabbing businesses that don’t deserve it but spreading misinformation like this doesn't just hurt the the school, it also hurts the thousands of students who bust their butt every day attending it and who potentially put up with more abuse doing so than their American counterparts.
 
As for others on here all I can say is Wow I knew Id get a level of Caribbean hate on SDN but I wasn’t prepared for this. For so many to comment so concretely on a school they have never even attended is shocking. What is really frustrating is how everyone loves to take the worst scenarios and expound it to every caribbean school all the time. I even called up some of my USMD friends including one who transferred from the caribbean, having to redo clinicals, to ask about the difference in clinical training. Im sure I will be immediately discredited as working for SGU or whatever it is but from what I gather the honest difference between USMD and Carribean clinical training overall is similar to what I listed with basic sciences. With so many students and no home base to operate there simply isn't the same level of individualised attention for that reason , from what I have been told, USMD do on average get better training because 1) they’re program is more standardized , and better formatted because it is at one or few sites and closely overseen by one governing body 2) is at a university hospital where teaching is made more of a priority and the attendings and residents are more scholastic 3)Is overall given more oversight because US schools are smaller and have more iindividualized attention. All of this DOES lead to a better clinical experience and therefore overall likely better clinical training however that difference depends largely on where you are placed for rotations. All this talk of goody bags and sham rotations are the exception , at least at the top Caribbean schools ,NOT the rule. Ive personally never heard of a goody bag being given in my life and Ive spoken with caribbean students how have rotated at dozens of hospitals. I do know there are some rotation sites that take it a lot easier than others. With all this said I know of many US graduates who have significantly more time off for vacation and have a good number of cush rotations given to them however as I said USMD cores will, on average, likely be superior to caribbean for the above stated reasons. As for DO rotations I can not comment specifically on them however I do know many students at some top DO schools and I can say they're training is not significantly better than the training received by caribbean graduates. Once again I do not know generally but only on what I have seen, heard, and read. I know of a few caribbean rotation sites where you are worked full resident hours or more , sometimes going over 80+ for the week going Q4 calls and having a resident level patient loads however it is once again site specific. Now imagine if I posted that as the rule for Caribbean rotations, Id be crucified however if a US graduate says all Caribbean med students get goody bags on entry come in late and leave early every day everyone agrees. We are all intelligent human beings here who get tested on bias. Can someone please at least admit that those posting here are extremely quick to agree with anything negative posted about the Caribbean and also quick to dismiss anything positive. Im really tired of defending Caribbean schools because overall these are cash grabbing businesses that don’t deserve it but spreading misinformation like this doesn't just hurt the the school, it also hurts the thousands of students who bust their butt every day attending it and who potentially put up with more abuse doing so than their American counterparts.

First, people stating facts and things they've personally observed doesn't count as "Caribbean hate". It's a bit appalling that you see it that way because you are clearly trying to paint a very biased and unreal view of offshore education if you can't handle some of the actual facts that blemish he picture you are taking. It's a common tactic of these offshore schools and their shills-- post questionable info and whenever people question it you call us "haters". Please -- it's a despicable approach of someone who can't argue on the strength of their own position so they have to try and undermine others by suggesting their criticism is coming from a bad place (regardless of its veracity). I don't know if you are working for the school but you certainly come off that way.

To tell people offshore schools have high attrition and don't match as well and aren't equivalently trained really isn't hate if there is or you've seen pretty compelling evidence of that.

Second, the swag bags were 100% real. Have seen them at the community sites I've rotated through as a resident and yes we are absolutely talking exclusively about the top schools. The residents there openly compared notes of what they got at other places so I doubt this is an exception.
Third, you appear to openly agree with me that these rotations "take it easier" on these offshore students to keep the gravy train going and so the clinical experience as a result is not as good, which legitimizes PDs selecting US grads first, was my main point in my earlier post. So again I'm not seeing the hate here.
 
Last edited:
I grow tired of people who went to the Caribbean futilely attempting to convince SDN that their bad choice wasn't a bad choice.

Like hundreds before you, you're not going to somehow sway us into thinking that when we meet you in the street/on the wards, your medical education was on par with US grads. And the Caribbean community is much more guilty of using individual outliers to further an agenda (e.g. "SGU is just as good as any US school because my cousin went there and he's a neurology resident at Iowa!")

With the increasingly bloated US medical school rosters, it will only continue to get worse for you.
 
As for others on here all I can say is Wow I knew Id get a level of Caribbean hate on SDN but I wasn’t prepared for this. For so many to comment so concretely on a school they have never even attended is shocking. What is really frustrating is how everyone loves to take the worst scenarios and expound it to every caribbean school all the time. I even called up some of my USMD friends including one who transferred from the caribbean, having to redo clinicals, to ask about the difference in clinical training. Im sure I will be immediately discredited as working for SGU or whatever it is but from what I gather the honest difference between USMD and Carribean clinical training overall is similar to what I listed with basic sciences. With so many students and no home base to operate there simply isn't the same level of individualised attention for that reason , from what I have been told, USMD do on average get better training because 1) they’re program is more standardized , and better formatted because it is at one or few sites and closely overseen by one governing body 2) is at a university hospital where teaching is made more of a priority and the attendings and residents are more scholastic 3)Is overall given more oversight because US schools are smaller and have more iindividualized attention. All of this DOES lead to a better clinical experience and therefore overall likely better clinical training however that difference depends largely on where you are placed for rotations. All this talk of goody bags and sham rotations are the exception , at least at the top Caribbean schools ,NOT the rule. Ive personally never heard of a goody bag being given in my life and Ive spoken with caribbean students how have rotated at dozens of hospitals. I do know there are some rotation sites that take it a lot easier than others. With all this said I know of many US graduates who have significantly more time off for vacation and have a good number of cush rotations given to them however as I said USMD cores will, on average, likely be superior to caribbean for the above stated reasons. As for DO rotations I can not comment specifically on them however I do know many students at some top DO schools and I can say they're training is not significantly better than the training received by caribbean graduates. Once again I do not know generally but only on what I have seen, heard, and read. I know of a few caribbean rotation sites where you are worked full resident hours or more , sometimes going over 80+ for the week going Q4 calls and having a resident level patient loads however it is once again site specific. Now imagine if I posted that as the rule for Caribbean rotations, Id be crucified however if a US graduate says all Caribbean med students get goody bags on entry come in late and leave early every day everyone agrees. We are all intelligent human beings here who get tested on bias. Can someone please at least admit that those posting here are extremely quick to agree with anything negative posted about the Caribbean and also quick to dismiss anything positive. Im really tired of defending Caribbean schools because overall these are cash grabbing businesses that don’t deserve it but spreading misinformation like this doesn't just hurt the the school, it also hurts the thousands of students who bust their butt every day attending it and who potentially put up with more abuse doing so than their American counterparts.

Please, if you want people to read your posts and take them seriously, you need to break it up into smaller paragraphs. Organize your writing. When I see a wall of text like this, I just skip right over it.
 
I know some people that went to SGU well over ten years ago. They were strong independent students, and then they had two years of strong clinical rotations in some crazy busy and rough medical centers. They made it through and then they got into some strong residencies.
Thing is, things have changed since then.

So now it's hard for me not to see these Carib schools as shady, used car salesmen/women. There is little to no trust from my end. They may have served a few people well, but it's less and less, and the benefits don't outweigh the risk w/ very little access to sound residency programs. If you can't get a sound residency, you have just wasted a ENORMOUS amount of money, time, energy. Good clinical residency is key.
 
Q

What are my chances of becoming a practicing physician if I go to a caribbean medical school?

A

Roughly 1/4, or 25%


Why do these students not make it through to residency?

By design, mostly. Schools over-accept to cash in, then thin the herd to whatever their allotted number of purchased rotation slots allow.


How hard are Caribbean medical schools?

To get in? A pulse and a bank routing number will do.

To successfully graduate and become a doctor? See first question.

To successfully graduate and become the kind of doctor you wanted to be? Hey now you're just getting greedy.


What is the difference between a US grad and Caribbean grad?

US grads are better looking.


What kind of Doctor can I be coming from a caribbean school?

I think one of the members of Spin Doctors went to Ross.

Otherwise, you can hope to become whatever kind of doctor the thousands of US kids don't want to be.



What is the future of caribbean medical schools?

Well, since that asteroid never hit the Caribbean in September as predicted, I suppose they will still be standing in the future.


If all of this is true Why do US MDs hate IMGs so much.

Hate is a strong word. Pity, perhaps. Except the ones who come to SDN to intentionally mislead. We mostly hate that.


Should I go to a Caribbean school?

do-you-feel-lucky-punk1-300x230.png
 
Some data from the NRMP:

1995:
22,830 positions
14,621 US seniors
756 osteopathic
735 US-IMG (50.5% match)
3,670 unfilled

2000:
22,722 positions
14,358 US seniors
1,150 osteopathic
2,169 US-IMG (51.4% match)
2,450 unfilled

2005:
24,012 positions
14,719 US seniors
1,524 osteopathic
2,091 US-IMG (54.7% match)
1,791 unfilled

2010:
25,520 positions
16,070 US seniors
2,045 osteopathic
3,695 US-IMG (50.6% match)
1,242 unfilled

2015:
30,212 positions*
18,025 US seniors
2,949 osteopathic
5,014 US-IMG (50.0% match)
1,306 unfilled

US-IMG's have maintained a match rate around 50% by mopping up positions that would have previously gone unfilled. With those spots disappearing in the face of expanded US enrollment (MD and DO) I cannot think of a worse time to undertake medical study abroad.

*The number of positions increased significantly compared to 2010 based on the NRMP's adoption of an "all in" policy for participating programs.
 
Q

What are my chances of becoming a practicing physician if I go to a caribbean medical school?

A

Roughly 1/4, or 25%


Why do these students not make it through to residency?

By design, mostly. Schools over-accept to cash in, then thin the herd to whatever their allotted number of purchased rotation slots allow.


How hard are Caribbean medical schools?

To get in? A pulse and a bank routing number will do.

To successfully graduate and become a doctor? See first question.

To successfully graduate and become the kind of doctor you wanted to be? Hey now you're just getting greedy.


What is the difference between a US grad and Caribbean grad?

US grads are better looking.


What kind of Doctor can I be coming from a caribbean school?

I think one of the members of Spin Doctors went to Ross.

Otherwise, you can hope to become whatever kind of doctor the thousands of US kids don't want to be.



What is the future of caribbean medical schools?

Well, since that asteroid never hit the Caribbean in September as predicted, I suppose they will still be standing in the future.


If all of this is true Why do US MDs hate IMGs so much.

Hate is a strong word. Pity, perhaps. Except the ones who come to SDN to intentionally mislead. We mostly hate that.


Should I go to a Caribbean school?

do-you-feel-lucky-punk1-300x230.png

I would question whether US grads are better looking. A lot of the beautiful people with low GPAs in part due to too many social distractions in college end up offshore, and many come back with nice tan lines and having spent the preclinical years very far from the nearest McDonalds. Other than that I agree with your post.
 
Some data from the NRMP:

1995:
22,830 positions
14,621 US seniors
756 osteopathic
735 US-IMG (50.5% match)
3,670 unfilled

2000:
22,722 positions
14,358 US seniors
1,150 osteopathic
2,169 US-IMG (51.4% match)
2,450 unfilled

2005:
24,012 positions
14,719 US seniors
1,524 osteopathic
2,091 US-IMG (54.7% match)
1,791 unfilled

2010:
25,520 positions
16,070 US seniors
2,045 osteopathic
3,695 US-IMG (50.6% match)
1,242 unfilled

2015:
30,212 positions*
18,025 US seniors
2,949 osteopathic
5,014 US-IMG (50.0% match)
1,306 unfilled

US-IMG's have maintained a match rate around 50% by mopping up positions that would have previously gone unfilled. With those spots disappearing in the face of expanded US enrollment (MD and DO) I cannot think of a worse time to undertake medical study abroad.

*The number of positions increased significantly compared to 2010 based on the NRMP's adoption of an "all in" policy for participating programs.
And again those percentages are "after attrition" numbers. For a lot of the offshore schools you'll want to halve that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The offshore rotations are "lite" versions of what US students do. The biggest reason is that unlike US clerkship sites, the community sites that host clerkships for SGU, Ross, etc are competing for fees with other community sites, so they want students to report back to their school that they had an amazing time. So rotations give out swag bags (t-shirt and coffee mug are common), free food/coffee, have nice relaxing schedules, really don't have much recourse for those who show up late, leave early, don't shine. Call schedules are minimal. The goal is less to teach medicine and more to have these students report back to their schools that the rotation was great, to keep that gravy train going.

By contrast some of us US grads were worked pretty hard, came and went and took call like the residents, were pimped pretty mercilessly by everyone, and learned a ton on our rotations. The difference was night and day. A lot of what occurred daily at the clerkship for offshore students simply wouldn't fly at the US clerkship. I don't really blame the offshore students-- many were quite bright/good. But let's not pretend they came out of these lite residencies with equivalent training as ready to run the wards.

And the PDs all know this, which is, in big part why the preference for US grads is quite reasonable. Because frankly even the worst US grad struggled through a clerkship that will have prepared him/her better for the wards.
By the same reasoning, I can also say that Carib grads survive a cut-throat environment and a substandard living condition on an island. Not all do, but those who can succeed in such difficult environment prove a lot more than if they had otherwise had the chance to study in a supportive environment. The bias against IMGs is obvious and unreasonable. Those who have the ability to succeed in such environment don't deserved to be discriminated like that.
 
By the same reasoning, I can also say that Carib grads survive a cut-throat environment and a substandard living condition on an island. Not all do, but those who can succeed in such difficult environment prove a lot more than if they had otherwise had the chance to study in a supportive environment. The bias against IMGs is obvious and unreasonable. Those who have the ability to succeed in such environment don't deserved to be discriminated like that..

I'm not casting aspersions to those individuals who make it through and do well. I agree they've overcome a lot of obstacles by virtue of the island environments they've been through. Nothing but kudos for them. I'm saying the clinical years they experience IN THE US in their latter two years don't do as good a job of preparing people for the wards, because they are for hire rotations at money hungry community hospitals, and so the PDs that choose any US grad over them have a very reasonable basis for doing so.
 
I know some people that went to SGU well over ten years ago. They were strong independent students, and then they had two years of strong clinical rotations in some crazy busy and rough medical centers. They made it through and then they got into some strong residencies.
Thing is, things have changed since then.

So now it's hard for me not to see these Carib schools as shady, used car salesmen/women. There is little to no trust from my end. They may have served a few people well, but it's less and less, and the benefits don't outweigh the risk w/ very little access to sound residency programs. If you can't get a sound residency, you have just wasted a ENORMOUS amount of money, time, energy. Good clinical residency is key.

This is extremely important to note.

Things have changed. Everything is harder in medicine. "Hide yo wives, and Hide yo Kids"
 
By the same reasoning, I can also say that Carib grads survive a cut-throat environment and a substandard living condition on an island. Not all do, but those who can succeed in such difficult environment prove a lot more than if they had otherwise had the chance to study in a supportive environment. The bias against IMGs is obvious and unreasonable. Those who have the ability to succeed in such environment don't deserved to be discriminated like that..

Imagine you are tasked with making a chocolate birthday cake for your nephew.

The recipe requires 2 eggs.

You go to the store and all the eggs are past the expiration date or the cartons are damaged. Despite this, you buy 10 cartons of a dozen eggs each and take them home. After sifting through all the broken, smelly eggs, you finally find 2 that seem reasonably passable.

You begin to collect the rest of the ingredients for the cake, but suddenly you find that all you've got in your kitchen is some milk and flour, and nothing else.

"Perfect!" you nervously exclaim, as you start to make the pancakes you totally set out to make in the first place. Your nephew will love these for his birthday party.

I don't know where I'm going with this but you get the idea.
 
There's a reason why PDs are leery of IMGs from the Carib diploma mills, and it's not based upon bias:

It's because these students display or have displayed bad behaviors: extreme gullibility, inability to delay gratification, inability to make through a US med school, magic thinking, parental pressure, inability to do proper research, to leap before looking, and/or having IAs or felonies.

Just because one is intelligent doesn't mean one is smart.

By the same reasoning, I can also say that Carib grads survive a cut-throat environment and a substandard living condition on an island. Not all do, but those who can succeed in such difficult environment prove a lot more than if they had otherwise had the chance to study in a supportive environment. The bias against IMGs is obvious and unreasonable. Those who have the ability to succeed in such environment don't deserved to be discriminated like that..