EVMS Preview Weekend Question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attentive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was placed on the waitlist at EVMS a months ago. Today I received a packet inviting me to their Preview Weekend 2005. It reeked of an acceptance but then again, I have a cold and I might be smelling something
else. I was wondering if anyone had a clue on what this packet meant

Did...

a) They sent it to the wrong person
b) They sent it to the right person and the acceptance letter just hasn't arrived
c) They sent it to the right person since they send it to all accepted/waitlist people.
d) none of the above - call them yourself

Would appreciate any information. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Haha... no kidding I'm in exactly the same situation. 15 minutes ago I walked out to the mailbox and got a packet from EVMS. To my surprise, it's an invite to their 2nd look! But wait... I was waitlisted a month ago. Seeing you on here affirms that they're inviting waitlistees too.

Dunno if I'll go or not.

dopaminophile said:
Haha... no kidding I'm in exactly the same situation. 15 minutes ago I walked out to the mailbox and got a packet from EVMS. To my surprise, it's an invite to their 2nd look! But wait... I was waitlisted a month ago. Seeing you on here affirms that they're inviting waitlistees too.

Dunno if I'll go or not.

Heh, or we could both be in. Got all excited too with the big envelope.

I'll think glass is half full for now, although if there are many more responses indicating the same as us, I'd have to agree with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey... I'm game for delusions of acceptance.

I got it too -- and I've been waitlisted there as well. I think they are sending it to everyone since one of my friends who as already withdrawn from EVMS got the packet as well :p

The weekend sounds like a lot of fun though. I'd go if i lived closer to EVMS.

tinkerbelle said:
I got it too -- and I've been waitlisted there as well. I think they are sending it to everyone since one of my friends who as already withdrawn from EVMS got the packet as well :p

The weekend sounds like a lot of fun though. I'd go if i lived closer to EVMS.

ah ok. thanks for the info. i guess i'll just have to waaaaiiiitt.

hehe, shouldn't you be tending to your trolls? :smuggrin:

I have been waitlisted at EVMS as well. When is the preview weekend scheduled for?

Fusion said:
I have been waitlisted at EVMS as well. When is the preview weekend scheduled for?

april 1-2

Attentive said:
hehe, shouldn't you be tending to your trolls? :smuggrin:

:laugh: i have the day off cause of the snow storm

tinkerbelle said:
:laugh: i have the day off cause of the snow storm
Tink, I think you and I applied and interviewed at all the same schools! It's snowing here too.

dopaminophile said:
Tink, I think you and I applied and interviewed at all the same schools! It's snowing here too.

oh awesome :D i don't suppose we ran into eachother did we?

It's possible... our dates are at least close to eachother for a couple of these places. We'll see... maybe we'll end up going to school together!

Now the question is, will they send it to those of us who are still waiting to hear anything post-interview? ;) That'd be a nice confusing touch.

Members don't see this ad :)
chocolate-e said:
Now the question is, will they send it to those of us who are still waiting to hear anything post-interview? ;) That'd be a nice confusing touch.
I bet they will... it sounds like they're sending everybody that has interviewed a packet for 2nd look. Maybe the exception are people that have been rejected, but who knows? Withdrawals still got them.

Hey all,

I called EVMS today and got the following information:

They sent the preview packet to those who were accepted AND the top of the waitlist (didn't say top third, just TOP).

They also said that currently the waitlist has 275 (!!!) people on it.

Good Luck!

abcabc said:
Hey all,

I called EVMS today and got the following information:

They sent the preview packet to those who were accepted AND the top of the waitlist (didn't say top third, just TOP).

They also said that currently the waitlist has 275 (!!!) people on it.

Good Luck!
That's good to hear... thanks!

I got the preview weekend packet in the mail today at my address ... and then got the acceptance letter sent to my parent's address!! I'm so excited :) I was on the waitlist for about two months - so don't lose hope if that's where you are. Can't wait until the preview weekend! Hopefully work will give me off

kch207 said:
I got the preview weekend packet in the mail today at my address ... and then got the acceptance letter sent to my parent's address!! I'm so excited :) I was on the waitlist for about two months - so don't lose hope if that's where you are. Can't wait until the preview weekend! Hopefully work will give me off

wow! congrats :)

kch207 said:
Sweet! And I thought I was able to not spaz over EVMS for a while.

kch207 said:
Whoa! They accepted you!? Awesome!!! Congrats! :thumbup:

I thought they wouldn't start taking off the lists until they finished interviewing... :confused:

So what is the concensus regarding timing? Do I send in my letter of intent and such now? or wait until late March/early April when they've officially stopped interviewing and the list really moves.

Man, if I got an invite to the preview weekend (I know I'm top 1/3, but is that enough?) I'm going to be making flight plans tonite! Anything to get into EVMS! :D :smuggrin:

subtle1epiphany said:
Whoa! They accepted you!? Awesome!!! Congrats! :thumbup:

I thought they wouldn't start taking off the lists until they finished interviewing... :confused:

So what is the concensus regarding timing? Do I send in my letter of intent and such now? or wait until late March/early April when they've officially stopped interviewing and the list really moves.

Man, if I got an invite to the preview weekend (I know I'm top 1/3, but is that enough?) I'm going to be making flight plans tonite! Anything to get into EVMS! :D :smuggrin:

I already sent in my letter of intent, with the hope that I'd get off the waitlist early. Didn't receive that packet =(... and like you, I'd make flight plans tonight. There are about 92 people in the top 1/3rd... maybe only the top half of that gets the invite (along with those already accepted)?

kylahs said:
I already sent in my letter of intent, with the hope that I'd get off the waitlist early. Didn't receive that packet =(... and like you, I'd make flight plans tonight. There are about 92 people in the top 1/3rd... maybe only the top half of that gets the invite (along with those already accepted)?
I'm wondering where those people that received that packet live...are they in Norfolk? or on the East coast?
So it might not have even reached me yet...although, now I'm just trying not to give up hope :scared:

Do you guys think getting and attending an invite for the Preview Weekend will give a better chance of being accepted?

- Does anyone know alot about how EVMS organizes their waitlist? It's my first time being waitlisted, so I really know very little (just the little EVMS mentioned and what I've found online).

- There are almost a hundred in the top third of the waitlist? Is the waitlist fully ranked or just split in to three unranked groups? When I called, the assistant said "upper 1/3," I'm assuming that means top 1/3, am I right?

- I just read Jalby's post and he recommends contacting your interviewer for information on how to better your standing, is this a good idea? I had a great interview, I'm pretty convinced that bumped me up quite a bit. Any advice?

- Finally, when is the best time to send in a letter of intent? I'm sure EVMS is the best for me (preaching to the choir here I expect), should I send my letter to Dr. McCombs now, or wait until the end of March when the schools stops interviewing?

TIA

subtle1epiphany said:
I'm wondering where those people that received that packet live...are they in Norfolk? or on the East coast?
So it might not have even reached me yet...although, now I'm just trying not to give up hope :scared:

I live in Maryland and I received the packet. So does Attentive actually. So maybe yours is still in the mail.

West Virginia... I got it the same day as Tink and Attentive. Don't lose hope!

Anyone have any weekend news about the weekend? :laugh:

- and -

Were my questions too much? :confused:
I'd hoped for a little more info, I guess I'm just really nervous :scared: and hoping for the best!

subtle1epiphany said:
Do you guys think getting and attending an invite for the Preview Weekend will give a better chance of being accepted?

I can't imagine that it would hurt to show your enthusiasm and implant your face firmly in the minds of some adcom members. If you really really want to go and haven't gotten an invite, I'd call them up and ask if you can go... that certainly can't hurt.

subtle1epiphany said:
Does anyone know alot about how EVMS organizes their waitlist? It's my first time being waitlisted, so I really know very little (just the little EVMS mentioned and what I've found online).

I haven't the foggiest how they organize their waitlist. I only "know" (and I use the term loosely) what I've seen on here.

subtle1epiphany said:
- There are almost a hundred in the top third of the waitlist? Is the waitlist fully ranked or just split in to three unranked groups? When I called, the assistant said "upper 1/3," I'm assuming that means top 1/3, am I right?

I'm sure she knew that "upper 1/3" meant "top 1/3." I dunno about ranking.

subtle1epiphany said:
- I just read Jalby's post and he recommends contacting your interviewer for information on how to better your standing, is this a good idea? I had a great interview, I'm pretty convinced that bumped me up quite a bit. Any advice?

I'd absolutely call your interviewer. Chat with him and tell him how enthusiastic you are about the school and ask how you can improve your standing.

subtle1epiphany said:
- Finally, when is the best time to send in a letter of intent? I'm sure EVMS is the best for me (preaching to the choir here I expect), should I send my letter to Dr. McCombs now, or wait until the end of March when the schools stops interviewing?

If I were you, I'd send the letter of intent as soon as possible. Early can't hurt and late can. All the best!

-dope-

Hey guys,
How long did it take for EVMS to get back to you about a decision post-interview. I have been waiting for 2 and a half weeks so far.

futuredocter said:
Hey guys,
How long did it take for EVMS to get back to you about a decision post-interview. I have been waiting for 2 and a half weeks so far.
It took them well over a month for me. Then again, I had Christmas and New Years in the interim. I think that ~1 month is the consensus around here.

My letter was dated only 9 days after my interview, but I think that's a bit of an anomaly. The administration said 3-4 weeks and most people received theirs in that amount of time.

dopaminophile -
thanks for the answers, i really appreciate it!
best of luck to us both!

so on a scale of 1 to sketchy.....
i called the admissions office today because i was previously told that i was in the top 1/3 of the waitlist and i have really poor mail delivery, so i wanted to check on the weekend thing -
the woman i spoke with told me a) that there was no waitlist movement so if i was previously in the top 1/3, i am still there, b) she put me on hold for a while, came back to verify my address and said that she would put the weekend info in the mail.....

so, im gathering, that i wasnt sent the packet in the first place but shes now inviting me -- is that because she would send it to anyone who called and showed interest? or would she send it to be because, ok, im in the top 1/3 anyway but not the top-of-the-top, so what the hell - she called, lets send it out? does that make any sense?? i guess i dont know if it was a pity invite or if i legitametly have a shot.....

as far as letters of intent and such, i asked about that as well, and she said that anything you send it is reviewed and your file is flagged. im not sure how much weight that holds on getting off of the waitlist, but i feel like getting flagged can only be good

Ames980 said:
so on a scale of 1 to sketchy.....
i called the admissions office today because i was previously told that i was in the top 1/3 of the waitlist and i have really poor mail delivery, so i wanted to check on the weekend thing -
the woman i spoke with told me a) that there was no waitlist movement so if i was previously in the top 1/3, i am still there, b) she put me on hold for a while, came back to verify my address and said that she would put the weekend info in the mail.....

good info, thanks for sharing. And I agree that flagging can only be a good thing..

kylahs said:
good info, thanks for sharing. And I agree that flagging can only be a good thing..
Awesome!
Thanks from me as well for sharing, I think I'll be calling tomorrow :scared:
My letters are almost polished, so maybe I'll get some gold stars on my file... :laugh:

for those on the waitlist, and who have EVMS as their top choice, are you considering applying to the Medical Master's program?

(application deadline is in 4 weeks)

Okay, so now I've got a conundrum.

I know that EVMS is the school for me and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes (famous last words?). I've called twice in the last two weeks, and slipped from the top 1/3 to the very top of the middle 1/3. I asked about the Preview Weekend and was told that only those accepted and the top of the top 1/3 are invited. However, there is a form you can fill out on the Sinapse site to attend.

A really good family friend, who is a physician (from Virginia actually), recommended that if I were invited, I should definitely go. However, if I wasn't invited, it would be better to not attend. The logic being that if they weren't inviting me, then the value was minimal as I am certain I would attend if accepted (my Letter of Intent will be well on its way in a week). The purpose of a Second Look is to get those who are undecided to attend. Also, my interview and the impression that EVMS got of me was excellent, and is likely why I've been waitlisted. That makes sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to attend, partly because I have a hope that it still might hold some merit. But also because I enjoyed my interview so much.

What do you guys think? :confused:

subtle1epiphany-

If I was in your shoes and I was super sure I wanted to go to EVMS, I would definitely go to the second look weekend. I understand what your physician friend is saying. But at the same time, if you went to second look weekend, you might have a chance to talk to the Dean (what was that guy's name again? the dude who always wears the plaid pants?). And if you can show him how much you love EVMS and if you make a really good impression on him, it might help you get off the waitlist. In my mind, anything that could potentially help is worth doing.

tinkerbelle said:
subtle1epiphany-

If I was in your shoes and I was super sure I wanted to go to EVMS, I would definitely go to the second look weekend. I understand what your physician friend is saying. But at the same time, if you went to second look weekend, you might have a chance to talk to the Dean (what was that guy's name again? the dude who always wears the plaid pants?). And if you can show him how much you love EVMS and if you make a really good impression on him, it might help you get off the waitlist. In my mind, anything that could potentially help is worth doing.

but subtle would prolly have to buy plane tickets to.... to what? to an event designed to convince people that EVMS is an excellent school? he already knows he wants to go there. talking to the dean might help, but a letter or phone call would be just as effective.

I guess this is the same point his physician friend was making.

if plane tickets however were like $40 ....then that's a different story.

EDIT: i forgot that subtle's no longer in the top 1/3rd. maybe an upfront conversation with the dean might make a difference. be like "look, i came all the way from xxxx just to tell you what i could have told u in a letter; that's how serious i am about wanting to attend evms"

If I were you I'd go to preview weekend. There is no way it can hurt you. What is the worst thing that could happen. You spend money on a plane ticket, experience a great weekend we have planned for you all, and potentially improve your position. Does anyone really know what is going to help/hurt. At the end of the day you want to put yourself in the best position possible. Skimming the previous posts. Top third of the wait list you will get in. True, you may not want to be there now, but trust me it is a good place to be (of course don't quote me on that)

David
EVMS Class of 2008

I am a student at EVMS and I'm helping to organize the Preview weekend, if you have any ?s please ask me!
EVMS invites students who have been accepted or are close to the top of the waitlist - its just an opportunity to explore the school more, meet students, and party.
If you call about preview weekend, no matter where you are in the WL, they will invite you and you have to register. We want people who are interested to come. (Doesn't mean you have a guaranteed acceptence or anything). If you are interested you can contact student affairs or register online...again, it doesn't matter where you are on the waitlist if you call and ask to attend.
Its a great time and hope you can join us!

NGemie said:
I am a student at EVMS and I'm helping to organize the Preview weekend, if you have any ?s please ask me!
EVMS invites students who have been accepted or are close to the top of the waitlist - its just an opportunity to explore the school more, meet students, and party.
If you call about preview weekend, no matter where you are in the WL, they will invite you and you have to register. We want people who are interested to come. (Doesn't mean you have a guaranteed acceptence or anything). If you are interested you can contact student affairs or register online...again, it doesn't matter where you are on the waitlist if you call and ask to attend.
Its a great time and hope you can join us!
See, I probably asked "am I invited" rather than "can I come."
All in the phrasing isn't it.

I just want to make sure that if I fill out the form and purchase the tickets (I'm flying from Cali) they won't see me as a party crasher or something like that. :laugh:

I'll definitely attend! You'll see me there :thumbup:
Just wondering though, what sort of things should I wear (I'm a guy)? Suit like at interviews? or is it street clothes? If it's in-between those extremes I'm really bad at interpretting "casual" or such, so like button-down shirt and tie, or slacks and nice shirt...etc.
I really appreciate it. Now I'm really excited again! :D

Here is my take (Ngemie knows best of course)

1. In general there is no need to go crazy with the dress. You will be doing stuff around the campus during the day. I just talked to a friend who attended a previous preview day and he said atmost he wore a colored shirt (dress like a normal grad/college student actually). Basically, wear what you are most "comfortable". Just want to emphisize that noone is going to be rating you on how you are dressed.

2. We have our spring semiformal that weekend. You are of course invited. Bring a suite and you can wear it there. However, you can always just wear your good old button shirt/tie/slacks if you would like.

3. We have a progressive that weekend as well. Whatever you wear, make sure it has been recently washed or noone will talk to you, jk. You can seriously wear jeans if you want, I'd recommend it actually.

Theme - Don't worry about dressing up, and have a good time

Dave

callendm said:
Here is my take (Ngemie knows best of course)

1. In general there is no need to go crazy with the dress. You will be doing stuff around the campus during the day. I just talked to a friend who attended a previous preview day and he said atmost he wore a colored shirt (dress like a normal grad/college student actually). Basically, wear what you are most "comfortable". Just want to emphisize that noone is going to be rating you on how you are dressed.

2. We have our spring semiformal that weekend. You are of course invited. Bring a suite and you can wear it there. However, you can always just wear your good old button shirt/tie/slacks if you would like.

3. We have a progressive that weekend as well. Whatever you wear, make sure it has been recently washed or noone will talk to you, jk. You can seriously wear jeans if you want, I'd recommend it actually.

Theme - Don't worry about dressing up, and have a good time

Dave
Wait, so Progressive is an event?

I wasn't sure about that one, but at first I wondered if it was to make sure the campus wasn't all conservatives. :laugh:

Seriously though, what does a Progressive consist of? Although, now I have this feeling that I should know this one... :confused:
I would try to "google" (can't believe this is a verb!) the EVMS site, but it seems to be down for the night.

subtle1epiphany said:
Wait, so Progressive is an event?

I wasn't sure about that one, but at first I wondered if it was to make sure the campus wasn't all conservatives. :laugh:

Seriously though, what does a Progressive consist of? Although, now I have this feeling that I should know this one... :confused:
I would try to "google" (can't believe this is a verb!) the EVMS site, but it seems to be down for the night.

I don't really know either, but a progressive dinner is where you have each course at a different person's house (cocktails at Amy's, appetizers at Betsy's, salad at Chuck's, etc). I'm assuming that this one isn't actually a dinner, since the students would go broke trying to feed all the prospectives. So I would think it's some sort of party where different students in the apartment building have different-themed stations.

Now a real student can come in and tell me I am totally wrong!

Hey, is anyone else planning to bring a significant other? I think my boyfriend is going to tag along in hopes of getting an idea of what I'm going to go through for the next four years, and checking out the area of course.

I was recently placed on the waitlist at the "top" of the middle 1/3. I know the top 1/3 of the waitlist is in a good spot so I guess I will be borderline at best? If anyone in the know could shed some light on this it would be appreciated. :cool:

You wouldn't be seen as a party crasher at all! If you register, you are game.
For dress wear casual things! I know I will :) ...we'll have a few parties and on Friday night, if you want we have a semi-formal Spring Fling dance (so bring nice clothes for that if you want to attend).

subtle1epiphany said:
See, I probably asked "am I invited" rather than "can I come."
All in the phrasing isn't it.

I just want to make sure that if I fill out the form and purchase the tickets (I'm flying from Cali) they won't see me as a party crasher or something like that. :laugh:

I'll definitely attend! You'll see me there :thumbup:
Just wondering though, what sort of things should I wear (I'm a guy)? Suit like at interviews? or is it street clothes? If it's in-between those extremes I'm really bad at interpretting "casual" or such, so like button-down shirt and tie, or slacks and nice shirt...etc.
I really appreciate it. Now I'm really excited again! :D

Haha....sorry to say, but our progressive doesn't involve dinner.
It's a drinking Progressive....were one room had shots, one has a keg, on has jungle juice, etc.
There are snacks though :)

NGemie said:
It's a drinking Progressive....were one room had shots, one has a keg, on has jungle juice, etc.

u're kidding? EVMS roxx

lorelei said:
Hey, is anyone else planning to bring a significant other? I think my boyfriend is going to tag along in hopes of getting an idea of what I'm going to go through for the next four years, and checking out the area of course.

sounds like a good idea. he'll probably be impressed. What does he do?

NGemie said:
Seriously though, are you kidding!?
This is going to be one he!! of a weekend!

Although, I've got to say it's going to be a little weird going to a semi-formal dance across the country at a school I've never really attended. Should be an experience for the books though!

Congrats to you all! I am little disappointed that I did not receive a second look packet. I was informed that I was in the upper third, but I guess I was not high enough. I was hesistant about inviting myself to the second look weekend. I hope that you guys/gals have a good time though. Maybe we will meet again at a later time.

RaaMD said:
Congrats to you all! I am little disappointed that I did not receive a second look packet. I was informed that I was in the upper third, but I guess I was not high enough. I was hesistant about inviting myself to the second look weekend. I hope that you guys/gals have a good time though. Maybe we will meet again at a later time.
I think you should invite yourself. If you have any questions about whether you'd attend the school if accepted, it's an excellent idea to go.

I just RSVP'd today! I can't wait! EVMS is growin on me every day...