EVMS Preview Weekend Question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tacrum43 said:
So, um...I called them today and apparently I'm now in the middle 1/3. Crap. Guess I can forget about EVMS. :scared: :mad: :(

I don't understand why I got bumped into the middle 1/3. My interview was awesome, I honestly don't know how it could have gone any better. I sent in an update letter later saying how much I like EVMS too. What do you people freakin' want from me? :eek:

Sorry to vent here, but I am really, REALLY stressed now.

Don't get to discouraged about it. It's still a safe bet that you're at the top of the middle 1/3. This is part of the application process that makes no sense to me. It seems like every school pushes applying early for the rolling admissions. But if you don't get accepted early, it seems as if the people who interview later have better luck because they are fresh on the minds of the adcom. So, you probably weren't bumped down, it was new interviewees being placed in the top 1/3.

However, for an oos student there is a fairly good chance EVMS will reach into part of that middle 1/3. A lot of oos applicants drop the Virginia school on deadline day because of, 1. the cost, 2. the fact it's impossible to get in-state status in VA as a student, 3. EVMS is semi-private so loans are their main form of aid.

Keep your spirits up, you've still got plenty of time and I think the interviewees have ended or are about to since preview weekend is this month. You've got 2 months before people can only hold one spot at one school and 5 months before class starts. The top of the middle 1/3 isn't a bad place to be.

Members don't see this ad.

ghostchild said:
Don't get to discouraged about it. It's still a safe bet that you're at the top of the middle 1/3. This is part of the application process that makes no sense to me. It seems like every school pushes applying early for the rolling admissions. But if you don't get accepted early, it seems as if the people who interview later have better luck because they are fresh on the minds of the adcom. So, you probably weren't bumped down, it was new interviewees being placed in the top 1/3.

However, for an oos student there is a fairly good chance EVMS will reach into part of that middle 1/3. A lot of oos applicants drop the Virginia school on deadline day because of, 1. the cost, 2. the fact it's impossible to get in-state status in VA as a student, 3. EVMS is semi-private so loans are their main form of aid.

Keep your spirits up, you've still got plenty of time and I think the interviewees have ended or are about to since preview weekend is this month. You've got 2 months before people can only hold one spot at one school and 5 months before class starts. The top of the middle 1/3 isn't a bad place to be.

:laugh: Whoa, flashback: "but [the top 1/3] isn't a bad place to be" is what they told me back in December when I called. And when I called last time, I specifically asked them if I was near the top, middle or bottom of the middle third, but the lady told me that she didn't have that information and that the list is only divided into thirds. However, people keep saying here (as well as other people I've talked to in person) that they're in the "top of the middle third" or whatever. Am I missing something? Is the sub-divided list only for in-state people or something?

Thanks for the kind words gc. Now, shouldn't you awesome people who got invited to the preview weekend be putting this thread to better use planning who is giving a ride to whom, etc.?

tacrum43 said:
:laugh: Whoa, flashback: "but [the top 1/3] isn't a bad place to be" is what they told me back in December when I called. And when I called last time, I specifically asked them if I was near the top, middle or bottom of the middle third, but the lady told me that she didn't have that information and that the list is only divided into thirds. However, people keep saying here (as well as other people I've talked to in person) that they're in the "top of the middle third" or whatever. Am I missing something? Is the sub-divided list only for in-state people or something?

Thanks for the kind words gc. Now, shouldn't you awesome people who got invited to the preview weekend be putting this thread to better use planning who is giving a ride to whom, etc.?

:laugh: True, I have no idea which part of the middle 1/3 you might be in but it stands to reason that if you were in the top 1/3 you shouldn't be taken out and inserted in the last part of the middle 1/3. I don't really know tho. But it's true, I'm just trying to keep your spirits up because the world of medical school is full of cut-throats and I think we need more nice, relaxed people like you in medical school.

Ah, I'm not so much about giving or taking rides. But I do suppose I will go because I need all the info on possible housing that I can get. But does anybody have any idea about the parking for preview weekend? Can we use the parking lot we were directed to for the interview and/or normal parking on the street. Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm from a pretty rural area so parking is what really freaks me out about any city.