EVMS Preview Weekend Question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NGemie said:
Haha....sorry to say, but our progressive doesn't involve dinner.
It's a drinking Progressive....were one room had shots, one has a keg, on has jungle juice, etc.
There are snacks though :)

that sounds like so much fun :) i am so temped to go

Members don't see this ad.

ooooh... come tink come! Ve vant to seee you dere! (I'm part transylvanian).

dopaminophile said:
ooooh... come tink come! Ve vant to seee you dere! (I'm part transylvanian).

only if you promise to do your transylvanian accent :laugh:

Actually i don't know. It sounds like it will be tons of fun... and i'm always up for a party :p But i'm not thrilled about having to spend $$ on a plane ticket.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vill I vill. And if Neverwand is along I-64 zen I vill dwive you to EVMS! Or drag you by your toes!

dopaminophile said:
I vill I vill. And if Neverwand is along I-64 zen I vill dwive you to EVMS! Or drag you by your toes!

oh well that sucks. I don't think I live anywhere near i-64 :( I think you should live in maryland :D

Well as a last resort, i could put these wings to use and fly over to EVMS. After all, I am a magical little fairy :p

Ngemie is ceratainly serious with her previous post. Though we spend hours upon hours and day upon day on the second floor of Bricknell ;) we have our share of fun (probably a little too much). What did you expect, go to medical school, get stressed out, and jump off a bridge. Oh no no no, medical school is about working your butt off with your best friends, enjoying what you are doing, and having plenty of oppurtunities to live it up.

Are many of y'all bringing you're s/o's? I boyfriend wants to come but I think he's a little nervous about not fitting in with the med school crowd. I'm trying to reassure him, but it'd be great to be able to tell them that there will be other normal people there too! :D
Oh btw, I'm so excited! I can't wait to meet y'all!

Hey Guys,

I want to go to the EVMS Preview Weekend but I lost the paper telling me where to RSVP. I remember that the deadline is tomorrow so I was hoping someone could let me know the link. Thanks so much - and I'll see you all on the 1st!

wldhokie said:
Are many of y'all bringing you're s/o's? I boyfriend wants to come but I think he's a little nervous about not fitting in with the med school crowd. I'm trying to reassure him, but it'd be great to be able to tell them that there will be other normal people there too! :D
Oh btw, I'm so excited! I can't wait to meet y'all!

I'm bringing mine. I couldn't say he's really normal (DC policy wonk) but he is not a medical type, at least. :)

Absolutely come to preview day! We are so excited to have y'all come. I think the official registration deadline has passed, but I would definitely call the admissions office today and see if you can register late (if you're nice they'll most likely say yes.)

If you're waitlisted this is a great excuse to write Dr. McCombs another letter. As in, "Dear Dr. M, I know I already told you that I want to go to EVMS but now I have more reasons and I REALLY want to go." Any reason to keep your file active...

SO's are welcome and will probably enjoy the weekend as well.

Don't stress over the semi-formal. It's just a fun way to enjoy an open bar (beer and wine) at a cool restaurant.

Can't wait to see you here!
love,
McP

Side Note: dave, you can't spell anything.

*side note* McP I am just too smart to be able to spell ;) ohhh What would I do without you...haha

I see no reason why your S.O. would not fit in. Bring them along for the fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hii! Anyone driving from or through Charlottesville on Fri Apr 1? I'm trying to find a ride :) thanks!

focus05 said:
Hii! Anyone driving from or through Charlottesville on Fri Apr 1? I'm trying to find a ride :) thanks!

I'll be leaving blacksburg around 10 am, so Charlottesville would be on the way. Give me a PM if you're still looking for a ride!
wldhokie

So are most of you that are going to the weekend going to stay at a hotel or are you staying with students? I'm sticking with the hotel and was thinking that it'd be cool if we congregated in the same one so we can hang with potential future classmates and maybe coordinate rides and whatnot. Also, are you heading up the 31st or 1st?

dopaminophile said:
So are most of you that are going to the weekend going to stay at a hotel or are you staying with students? I'm sticking with the hotel and was thinking that it'd be cool if we congregated in the same one so we can hang with potential future classmates and maybe coordinate rides and whatnot. Also, are you heading up the 31st or 1st?

going up on the 1st. staying with my bro who just bought a house. Anyone who needs a ride (from their hotel) on the 2nd send me a PM

bumping 'cause the preview is in just a few days. Would anyone be interested in an SDN powow in Norfolk for the preview? Just to get the social wheels turning...

One more shameless bump to see who else might be going to the weekend...

I'm in the top third, but I can't go to the weekend. I'm definitely sad to miss it b/c I really really liked EVMS. Ah well, to everyone who's going, "Have fun!"

dopaminophile said:
bumping 'cause the preview is in just a few days. Would anyone be interested in an SDN powow in Norfolk for the preview? Just to get the social wheels turning...

I'd be up for that.

Hey, here's a chick question. What does one wear at a preview weekend? I mean, I'm definitely not going to be wearing a suit, but is it a casual (jeans) occasion?

lorelei said:
I'd be up for that.

Hey, here's a chick question. What does one wear at a preview weekend? I mean, I'm definitely not going to be wearing a suit, but is it a casual (jeans) occasion?
It sounds like it's tee-shirt and jeans sort of events. I guess there'll be tours, q&a sessions, and whatnot. It sounds like the only thing you'd have to dress up for is the semi-formal spring fling or whatever it is. I dunno, I'm planning on skipping out on that part.

Which hotel are you staying at lorelei?

Bumping this thread from last year...

Has anybody heard about a preview weekend there this year? I was looking on EVMS' website and there's a calendar that says it's the weekend of March 10th, but that doesn't seem right.

Yes I'm being paranoid, but I'm just hoping for some good news.

I've not heard anything about one as of yet this year. But I did just get a letter from them about a week ago. I thought it would be about preview weekend but it was a schedule of orientation week in August. I don't know if that letter meant there would be no preview weekend this year or not. Perhaps they're just mailing out notices later this year?
I'm fairly certain the March date is wrong though.

ghostchild said:
I've not heard anything about one as of yet this year. But I did just get a letter from them about a week ago. I thought it would be about preview weekend but it was a schedule of orientation week in August. I don't know if that letter meant there would be no preview weekend this year or not. Perhaps they're just mailing out notices later this year?
I'm fairly certain the March date is wrong though.

Orientation schedule? So are you already accepted? And if not, what does that mean in regards to the waitlist? I told you I'm paranoid.

:eek: Why won't EVMS just let me in? :eek:

I got a letter from EVMS with preview weekend info today.

I also got a second, very poorly worded letter that corrected the orientation schedule dates from the letter that was sent out last week.

tacrum43 said:
Orientation schedule? So are you already accepted? And if not, what does that mean in regards to the waitlist? I told you I'm paranoid.

:eek: Why won't EVMS just let me in? :eek:

Yes, I am accepted. I think the orientation schedule is just sent to those with acceptances. But a strange twist of fate just occurred today at the post office. The invitation for preview weekend indeed did come this afternoon. It is being held on Friday, March 31 to Saturday, April 1. So this is hot off the press. I don't know how many invitations for preview weekend were sent or what part of the waitlist you must be in to get one. I live in VA so they still might be in the mail for a lot of people at this point.

And Tacrum, I'm sure that you will get an acceptance so try to calm down. It's a matter of when, not if! :thumbup:

blee said:
I got a letter from EVMS with preview weekend info today.

I also got a second, very poorly worded letter that corrected the orientation schedule dates from the letter that was sent out last week.
I didn't notice any poor wording. But it was more of a memo from the registrar more than a formal letter so I assume it was meant to be brief and look nothing like a business letter. It was funny how mine was "signed" with the registrar's initials though.

ghostchild said:
I didn't notice any poor wording. But it was more of a memo from the registrar more than a formal letter so I assume it was meant to be brief and look nothing like a business letter. It was funny how mine was "signed" with the registrar's initials though.

Hey as long as the acceptance letter is legit, the rest can come on post-it notes for all I care.

dopaminophile said:
Haha... no kidding I'm in exactly the same situation. 15 minutes ago I walked out to the mailbox and got a packet from EVMS. To my surprise, it's an invite to their 2nd look! But wait... I was waitlisted a month ago. Seeing you on here affirms that they're inviting waitlistees too.

Dunno if I'll go or not.

funny..I got in,and never got the package. :p

ghostchild said:
Yes, I am accepted. I think the orientation schedule is just sent to those with acceptances. But a strange twist of fate just occurred today at the post office. The invitation for preview weekend indeed did come this afternoon. It is being held on Friday, March 31 to Saturday, April 1. So this is hot off the press. I don't know how many invitations for preview weekend were sent or what part of the waitlist you must be in to get one. I live in VA so they still might be in the mail for a lot of people at this point.

And Tacrum, I'm sure that you will get an acceptance so try to calm down. It's a matter of when, not if! :thumbup:

Well I guess I'll see if it comes today (Saturday). I live in DC, so it doesn't have that far to go for me either. I'm hoping for an invite to the weekend, but if I don't get one, I don't think I'll press the issue.

edit: I forgot you got in already (congrats on that by the way). And it wasn't a "strange twist of fate"; I'm actually psychic, and I knew those preview invites would be coming soon. That, and they were over due based on the info from last year. :)

Sounds like from last year's posts on this thread that if you call and ask they'll let you come to the preview weekend.

I'm already accepted, and got my invite in today's mail.

tacrum43 said:
Well I guess I'll see if it comes today (Saturday). I live in DC, so it doesn't have that far to go for me either. I'm hoping for an invite to the weekend, but if I don't get one, I don't think I'll press the issue.
I would press it. It seemed like the kind of school where just showing up couldn't hurt you. And if nothing else, it's a weekend of what seems like a good time at the beach. I would still bet that one is on its way. You should send in some kind of update letter or call and check your waitlist position or something so your file is pulled off the shelf for the next Adcom meeting.

If anyone on the waitlist does get an invite post it up if you can. So far, everyone who's gotten the invite has been accepted this year. They might be mailed out on different days because of all the printing/envelope stuffing required to put those things together. That is if waitlistees are getting them this year.

ghostchild said:

So, um...I called them today and apparently I'm now in the middle 1/3. Crap. Guess I can forget about EVMS. :scared: :mad: :(

I don't understand why I got bumped into the middle 1/3. My interview was awesome, I honestly don't know how it could have gone any better. I sent in an update letter later saying how much I like EVMS too. What do you people freakin' want from me? :eek:

Sorry to vent here, but I am really, REALLY stressed now.

tacrum43 said:
So, um...I called them today and apparently I'm now in the middle 1/3. Crap. Guess I can forget about EVMS. :scared: :mad: :(

I don't understand why I got bumped into the middle 1/3. My interview was awesome, I honestly don't know how it could have gone any better. I sent in an update letter later saying how much I like EVMS too. What do you people freakin' want from me? :eek:

O_O

Crap, now I'm afraid to call them.

Depakote said:
O_O

Crap, now I'm afraid to call them.

Be brave. The damage is already done/not done. Hopefully they'll let some of us SDN beggars in. I wish you better luck than I have had.

On a side note, I was kinda assuming I would get in there since I was still in the top 1/3 just a month ago. I guess that's what happens when you start assuming things.

Meanwhile, I have new found love and hope for VCU. :laugh: I'm going insane.

tacrum43 said:

just called and im still in upper 1/3...tacrum im sure as u finish physio and neuro and send ur grades to evms u will be bumped up. try not to stress over apps to much and concentrate on ur smp classes bc those grades are ur strongest advocate right now... :luck:

as for second look weekend, i havent received anything in the mail but i just called and was told to email the office to request info...so perhaps those interested can find out more by emailing them

I just got an e-mail invitation to the preview weekend. Anybody else?

I'm not nuts about going out there again. I loved the school and Norfolk, but I don't really have the dough for it. Do you guys think going or not going will affect my chances of getting in? I'm on the upper third of the wait list, and I'd like to stay there (for a couple of months anyway).

Perhaps I should send them a picture of my strategically placed "I heart EVMS" tattoo instead?? :thumbup:

LusuR said:
I just got an e-mail invitation to the preview weekend. Anybody else?

I'm not nuts about going out there again. I loved the school and Norfolk, but I don't really have the dough for it. Do you guys think going or not going will affect my chances of getting in? I'm on the upper third of the wait list, and I'd like to stay there (for a couple of months anyway).

Perhaps I should send them a picture of my strategically placed "I heart EVMS" tattoo instead?? :thumbup:

I got the e-mail too. I'm seriously thinking about going but it's within driving distance for me. From what I understand from the letter, it's mostly a student run thing. I don't think it affects your chances for acceptance at all. I believe it's intended to sway people to come to evms and not another hurdle for you to cross. If you're still worried though, send a letter stating that you'd still love to attend evms and are excited at the thought of being a student but you can't make it to the preview weekend because .......... Maybe even a phone call to evms inquiring about this would cause a note to be placed on your application that you wanted to come, and are still interested in the school, but were unable to attend.

I think the tattoo would get you instant admission :idea: If you're upper 1/3 and oos I think you've got a pretty good shot so you shouldn't feel obligated to come! Last year there were some students from evms over the preview weekend that would post on here to answer any questions. Let's hope one of them finds this site and our questions again this year!

Vizsla said:
just called and im still in upper 1/3...tacrum im sure as u finish physio and neuro and send ur grades to evms u will be bumped up. try not to stress over apps to much and concentrate on ur smp classes bc those grades are ur strongest advocate right now... :luck:

That's good Vizsla. I'm glad that they've giving some love to at least some of us SMPers. :thumbup:

Have they stopped inviting people to the second look weekend?

Hey everyone, I'm one of the EVMS students who is setting up preview weekend. If you have any questions about the event, let me know. I believe that all of the inviations have been sent out, and should have arrived by now. If you are on the fence about coming or not, I would say do it if it is at all possible. I came last year as a prospective student and had an AWESOME time, and learned a lot about the school and student body. We've got a great group of students working on it this year, and I guarantee you won't regret coming.

dgmaso said:
Hey everyone, I'm one of the EVMS students who is setting up preview weekend. If you have any questions about the event, let me know. I believe that all of the inviations have been sent out, and should have arrived by now. If you are on the fence about coming or not, I would say do it if it is at all possible. I came last year as a prospective student and had an AWESOME time, and learned a lot about the school and student body. We've got a great group of students working on it this year, and I guarantee you won't regret coming.

Sweet!

So what would be good clothing to bring? (I'm planning on attending the Fling, as is my Mother)

And would one of those stragegically placed "I Heart EVMS!" Tattoos really help?

dgmaso said:

i'll be there with bells on. can't wait. by the way, whats the word on the formal on sat. night? do most people go? what to wear? thanks.

Hey again...for the formal, dress is semiformal. Button up and tie for guys, coat optional. For girls, can't help you too much, but most of them wear a nice dress. Practically everyone goes to this...as in the first and second years. The 3rd and 4th years have more trouble with their schedules. This is one of our few chances for both classes to get together throughout the year so we have a great time and everyone tries to make it out. Last year, I would say that the majority of the prospective students went as well...so we'd definitely love to see you out there.

appreciate the info dg.