Ex-engineers in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianodude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any engineers* who ended up in medicine? What has your experience been like? There are usually quite a few threads about deciding between engineering vs. medicine during the m.d. application process, but I haven't found too many who are in the process of medical school or beyond.

Any thoughts on work load? Stability of medicine vs. the business-cycle ups and downs of engineering? Passion for your work...? etc...?

* Engineer: I define engineer very broadly here. Maybe you did your undergrad degree in some engineering/computer science discipline and then went to med school directly. Or maybe you worked for a couple years, and then decided medicine was what you wanted to do.

I have a job offer for an engineering/management training program and an offer for medical school, and I've been wracking my brain out for the last weeks trying to figure out what's best for me.

------------

Members don't see this ad.

I was a bioengineering major in college, but I knew all along that I wanted to go to med school...sorry, maybe that doesn't help you out much. :)

My brother was comp sci (10yrs in industry) and I was and engineer in the microelectronics industry for 8yrs. We're both in medicine now......

Members don't see this ad :)
Blade28 said:
I was a bioengineering major in college, but I knew all along that I wanted to go to med school...sorry, maybe that doesn't help you out much. :)

same as blade, except i was a computer engr

pianodude, do what you feel is your calling...you can't be here on SDN for no reason either... :thumbup:

you might want to post this in the allo forum or some of the specialty forums... most of us are still premed here (or about to start).
i was in the aerospace field for about 10 years before starting med school this fall

pianodude said:
Are there any engineers* who ended up in medicine? What has your experience been like?

I did chemical engineering as an undergrad major because it "guaranteed" a stable job unlike biology or biochem would (unless being a lab TA is a stable job for you). I found engineering material interesting at times, and challenging most of the time.

However, as I began interning for a chemical company I realized my life's work would consist of having designed "over 1,000 heat exchangers" or "65 packed distillation towers." Neither of which I would like on my gravestone...

SO I decided I would take the leap, plunge into an unknown field. I took my MCAT, had the interviews, and got accepted to my number one choice (my only acceptance). I don't know what will be on my gravestone, "Here lies a doctor who set 564 fractured fibulas and 32 femurs." No more impressive than the engineer's gravestone, really. But I think the experience, the opportunity, the freedom of choosing your own location, the choices of specialty, the excellent pay, the challenge of a lifetime, will be enough to satisfy almost any person seeking a "deeper meaning" in life.

Thanks everyone for responding.

I'll consider what I want engraved on my gravestone... :)

I an an EE i worked 2 years for pepsico, and then decided i wanted to go into medicine. I am curently taking pre reqs and studying for mcat.
pm if you have ? about engineering work load

-will

Biomed Engineer at a hospital for 6 yrs, stay at home mom for 6 yrs, and decided I really wanted to fix people not machines. I had originally figured engineering was a better fit with marriage and kids, and that I would be happy volunteering as an EMT to get my patient care fix. I found that I really wasn't happy and wanted to do medicine full-time.

I do think engineering is great training for medicine. Much of patient diagnosis involves the same logical troubleshooting-process thinking that we used in our previous careers.

Biomed Engr undregrad and masters. Only did the grad work to get more research experience and publications before starting med school. Engineering is a much better major than simply biology if there is a chance you might decice against med school (or don't get in).

If you think medicine is for you, then go for it. Otherwise you will regret it down the road.