Ex-Florida State DB Myron Rolle to begin Harvard medical residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I somehow feel this wouldn't be such a big discussion if the dude wasn't URM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I somehow feel this wouldn't be such a big discussion if the dude wasn't URM.

I disagree but lets stick to academic credentials. Don't want this thread to get locked

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only on this website can a fun post about a football player becoming a neurosurgeon turn into a toxic flame war. I still say good for him!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The NFL should be terrified. If he decides to join the fight against concussions after residency he will pull some serious weight, not to mention he could sway the public opinion.

Good for Rolle, the guy is a stud.

Reactions: 4 users
I read an article on him several years back. His decision to pursue medicine coupled with the required time, appeared to be at odds with pursuing an NFL career. The NFL "leaders" wanted an athlete intent on focusing all his time training for the sport without the distractions of a prospective medical career. It appeared he was forced to choose and he chose medicine. I guess you can't serve two very demanding masters.
Counterpoint: Zach Zenner.

(though I'm not sure how much longer South Dakota is going to let him defer his initial acceptance since he appears to be coming back to the Lions this year)

2nd counterpoint: John Urschel

Guard for the Baltimore Ravens and PhD candidate in Applied Mathematic from MIT. Has played 3 seasons for the Ravens and actually starts. He's also been continuing his research and putting out multiple publications while playing in the NFL. Not medicine, but I'd think getting a PhD from MIT is pretty demanding as well. His CV: http://math.mit.edu/~urschel/cv.pdf

It's surprising the amount of hand wringing going on in this thread. The dude graduated magna cum in 2.5 years while being a football star, did a Rhodes scholarship , and opened up a few non profits. Oh, and played professional football. I don't know his scores , and frankly neither does anyone in this thread. The dude is exceptional in many ways and seems like the exact kind of candidate these schools would want.

Another aspect no one seems to be mentioning is that after he graduated from FSU he got a graduate degree from frickin' Oxford in medical anthropology. Add in him graduating with a stellar GPA in 2.5 years and becoming a Rhodes Scholar and idk how people are questioning his academic prowess.

As for the question of how he managed to match neurosurgery at MGH without research, I think people aren't seeing the whole picture. Maybe he doesn't have research, but he's got his own foundation, is working to set up a free clinic in the Bahamas, had a prominent role in a Clinton Foundation project, and is a trustee for a college in his 20's. As someone said, even without research his fundraising potential is massive. Combine his fundraising potential, his history of charity work with major organizations/creating foundations, and his desire to develop programs that serve underserved populations both in the U.S. and abroad and you've got someone that pretty much any university or residency program would be drooling over.

Reactions: 6 users
I would just like to add, something I think we're all forgetting, people far more qualified and experienced than almost all of us trust him to succeed in this field. Sure, MGH is a research powerhouse, but it's their decision, and no one owes anyone anything in this process.

It raises some interesting questions, but there's a first for everything.

I wish him success.

Last edited:
Are we really still pretending we dont know more about his CV? lol

All the best to the man!

Last edited:
Only on this website can a fun post about a football player becoming a neurosurgeon turn into a toxic flame war. I still say good for him!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think this discussion is civil and has fair points. Don't think its a toxic flame war

Last edited:
2nd counterpoint: John Urschel

Guard for the Baltimore Ravens and PhD candidate in Applied Mathematic from MIT. Has played 3 seasons for the Ravens and actually starts. He's also been continuing his research and putting out multiple publications while playing in the NFL. Not medicine, but I'd think getting a PhD from MIT is pretty demanding as well. His CV: http://math.mit.edu/~urschel/cv.pdf

Another aspect no one seems to be mentioning is that after he graduated from FSU he got a graduate degree from frickin' Oxford in medical anthropology. Add in him graduating with a stellar GPA in 2.5 years and becoming a Rhodes Scholar and idk how people are questioning his academic prowess.

As for the question of how he managed to match neurosurgery at MGH without research, I think people aren't seeing the whole picture. Maybe he doesn't have research, but he's got his own foundation, is working to set up a free clinic in the Bahamas, had a prominent role in a Clinton Foundation project, and is a trustee for a college in his 20's. As someone said, even without research his fundraising potential is massive. Combine his fundraising potential, his history of charity work with major organizations/creating foundations, and his desire to develop programs that serve underserved populations both in the U.S. and abroad and you've got someone that pretty much any university or residency program would be drooling over.

I've seen that guys CV before, insane.

I don't get why people question Rolle's match either, he is the guy who strolls into the party and leaves with whatever girl he wants.

I've seen that guys CV before, insane.

I don't get why people question Rolle's match either, he is the guy who strolls into the party and leaves with whatever girl he wants.

Maybe its cause Rolle stole their girls

Extremely Pre-allo voice: "yes, but FSU is a state school."