Exams now that classes are all online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chranlan_

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a D1 at University of Nebraska. We're on spring break right now, and my school finally made the decision to move all lectures online, and suspend pre-clinical labs for at least another 1.5 weeks until they can figure out if they're going to have us back in the building for sim labs. We take all our exams and quizzes on our devices using Examplify (Examsoft). Administration told us they are looking at methods of ensuring academic integrity while having us use Examplify at home, such as having us being video recorded. I'm trying to figure out what this means, if it means we will need a second laptop sitting in front of us to Zoom in a video of us taking the exam on our iPad?

Has anybody had any experience with this? Has anybody had online classes or exams so far in dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school almost all exams are still paper and pencil except for one faculty that decided to switch to Examplify for his class. Since classes are cancelled they might have to use Examplify for everything now.

We're using Examsoft at my school. All didactic courses were moved online and we've had one test so far. I'm pretty sure a lot of people referred to their notes during that test. I mean come on, people will always look out for their best interest when given the opportunity.

The higher ups are looking at ways of proctoring us digitally. They told us Examsoft doesn't have a feature that does this but there are other programs that do. So right now I guess they're deciding whether they should cough up the money for one of those programs or trust that the students will act with integrity for all tests, including finals where some tests are worth 50% of our grade. Lol we'll see what happens

Members don't see this ad :)
We're using Examsoft at my school. All didactic courses were moved online and we've had one test so far. I'm pretty sure a lot of people referred to their notes during that test. I mean come on, people will always look out for their best interest when given the opportunity.

The higher ups are looking at ways of proctoring us digitally. They told us Examsoft doesn't have a feature that does this but there are other programs that do. So right now I guess they're deciding whether they should cough up the money for one of those programs or trust that the students will act with integrity for all tests, including finals where some tests are worth 50% of our grade. Lol we'll see what happens

Isn't this Examsoft's proctoring feature? It records video and sound then uploads it with the exam file. The AI analyzes the video and generates a report for the professor.

Obviously people can still cheat but this should prevent most of the cheating from taking place.

Isn't this Examsoft's proctoring feature? It records video and sound then uploads it with the exam file. The AI analyzes the video and generates a report for the professor.

Obviously people can still cheat but this should prevent most of the cheating from taking place.
Yup, guess the faculty misspoke. The version our school uses doesn't have that feature though, so the school would need to pay up more for the proctoring version. With less than 8 weeks left in the semester, I'm sure they are trying to decide if it's worth it.

I thought that Exam Monitor was not released for general use yet. And according to their site its not supported for iPad users yet but regardless schools will probably start using this if possible if averages remain very high lol.

I thought that Exam Monitor was not released for general use yet. And according to their site its not supported for iPad users yet but regardless schools will probably start using this if possible if averages remain very high lol.
Oh my school doesn't allow iPads for exams anyway. But yeah they will be implementing something.

We use examsoft too. ProcterU worked well to prevent cheating in some classes I took before dental school.

Regarding spring quarter, is everyone paying the same tuition? Moving things online was not anyone's fault, but if we're not getting the same hands-on training is it right to charge the same amount?

Edit: Speaking mainly for D2's here

We use examsoft too. ProcterU worked well to prevent cheating in some classes I took before dental school.

Regarding spring quarter, is everyone paying the same tuition? Moving things online was not anyone's fault, but if we're not getting the same hands-on training is it right to charge the same amount?

D2 here. We just had a class meeting with faculty and this exact questions was brought up. They have no idea as of now - I think things are just too up in the air at this point.

Reactions: 1 user

The school revoked student access into the building for the next 2 weeks. I get cancelling classes, but I'd like to practice some class 2 preps during spring break when nobody is around. It's definitely putting a strain on our education

The school revoked student access into the building for the next 2 weeks. I get cancelling classes, but I'd like to practice some class 2 preps during spring break when nobody is around. It's definitely putting a strain on our education
glad you enjoy class 2's

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
yeah for you guys, online classes is not bad at all. I'd actually have preferred everything online to watch some lectures on double speed

glad you enjoy class 2's
Gotta get some reps in because that's what our next practical is over

yeah for you guys, online classes is not bad at all. I'd actually have preferred everything online to watch some lectures on double speed
I was implying that it puts a strain on sim clinic. Can't practice drilling a tooth on a computer. Otherwise the online format is great

Reactions: 1 user
To the D2s: Just be thankful they'll get you out. Don't go complaining about tuition just yet.

We use Examsoft as well, and like you, our version has no way of monitoring us. There are separate programs out there for that (Proctor U), but since Examsoft shuts down all other programs, I don't think it's technologically possible to add a proctoring system. Unless they're going to shell out big $ for a new license, which I doubt, I think they'll just let it slide.

IDK, we have an exam this Friday and they still don't know what they're going to do.

They're trying to get us to use the Respondus proctoring feature that films you while taking the exam, but we don't have school issued computers and not everyone has a working camera.