Experience Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johannydalia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a BS. in Biology Sophomore, and I live in NJ. I wanted to know any suggestions /advises from my fellow pre-vet students. I want to concentrate in wildlife/exotic but here is very rare to find a wide range of experience. This is why I was considering doing a semester abroad in Thailand with the program loopabroad.com has for pre-vet students. What they offer is very tempting! Let me know what you guys think of it.

This is my experience so far, let me know if I am on the right track!

-I recently came back from a 2-week volunteer trip in Costa Rica, I was working with sea turtles. I realized how much I would love to work in a conservation as a DVM.
-I also currently work at a small animal/exotics clinic (when I feel I have enough experience there I might just go and do the Thailand program abroad.)
-I have been going to a therapeutic horseback riding facility with disable kids and seniors. I really love to volunteer here! I am planning to keep going as much as I can.

I am not sure if I should try and go again abroad to volunteer with sea turtles in the future. It was such a great experience, and I feel I could have stayed longer. How would that look in my vet app? would it be weird?
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Question: what organization did you go with? I was just looking into this tonight about doing this over the summer!

I say if you or your parents can afford for you to go, then go! I wanted to do the loopabroad thing but I couldn't afford it. I think it would be a great experience and it could only help your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: what organization did you go with? I was just looking into this tonight about doing this over the summer!

I did it with IVHQ, it was a great experience, but if I do it again would be directly to the conservation I worked for during my time. It would be less expensive, for the same thing!! And it s better because the money would go directly to them, and you don't have to be going from organization to organization as I did. The name of the conservation is Corcovado foundation. You can look it up, it's on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. If you have more questions about it, let me know :D

I say if you or your parents can afford for you to go, then go! I wanted to do the loopabroad thing but I couldn't afford it. I think it would be a great experience and it could only help your application!

I'll figure out my budget. But I will probably get a loan for that. I haven't got many loans through my undergrad so far, so I thought it wouldn't be that bad, what do you think. ?
Thank you!! I'll try to figure out everything!

I did it with IVHQ, it was a great experience, but if I do it again would be directly to the conservation I worked for during my time. It would be less expensive, for the same thing!! And it s better because the money would go directly to them, and you don't have to be going from organization to organization as I did. The name of the conservation is Corcovado foundation. You can look it up, it's on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. If you have more questions about it, let me know :D

Great thanks so much! I am researching a few now, so I'll take a look. Thank you.

I did Loop Aboard. It is A LOT of money. But they helped me with fundraising and they have a scholarship you can apply to. Its totally worth the money though, I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to working abroad. It was seriously the most amazing experience of my life! I do recommend bringing a friend or even making your own group of 8, just in case you dont mesh well with the others in your group. When comparing my experience with some of my friends that went to different volunteering opportunities I definitely got a lot more out of it. The vets were amazing and they let you do so much more than my local vet clinic. Its all really safe and theres nothing sketchy about it at all (which is difficult to say for most abroad vet experiences). Im actually even thinking about doing their semester program next year because I think I can get credit for it.