Experience with the eGM Cardiology Stethoscope Delphi anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molden

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I know, stethoscope advice has been asked here before, but here and on the rest of the net, I can not find any review of the Delphi from eGM.
My question:
Does anyone out there use the eGM Delphi stethoscope (http://products.egeneralmedical.com/delphi/) and can tell me what it is like?
Based on what reaches the Ear, I mean, maybe compared to the Littmann Cardiology III (on which it seems to be based).
I used to have a rapaport/sprague style stethoscope, which was alright, but is broken now (the screw for the interchangeable membrane on the chestpiece). Also the two tubes where a little annoying. So now I plan to get a stethoscope which gets me through university and anything else (except maybe chief of cardiology).

Littmann III seems to be the standard. What I like about the Delphi is the extended warranty, and the lower price of course.
But in the end I will want to make my decision based on the "sound quality".

So anyone with the Delphi, please share your experience.

Thanks a lot and please excuse my English.
molden

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't used it but I thought about getting one when it first came out. The fact that it's dropped in price by more than $100 in less than a year can't be a great sign, though.

The fact that it's dropped in price by more than $100 in less than a year can't be a great sign, though.

I guess, that drop could just be caused by marketing problems, although it probably gives one a shallow taste, if bought for the original price.

Also I think that even the top non-electronic stethoscopes from the major brands like Littmann are probably manufactured for less than 20$ a piece.

The problem in comparing stethoscopes is that one has hardly ever two different scopes at hand to compare. Also it takes time to get used to a scope, so that with a new one, it will probably take time to get used to the sound.

Still undecided...

tonygallow = eGM representative, I guess.

Anyhow, long times have passed and I had bought the eGM Stethoscope back then.
Just in case anyone cares anymore I will list the goods and the bads based on two years experience with the thing:

good
-the sound quality is comparable to the leading brand.

bad
-the membrane is designed badly in such a way that it caves in when too much pressure is added and it will stay this way until you disassemble the whole chest piece. This happens quiet often and also leaves visible marks on the diaphragm/membrane. This basically makes the stethoscope useless for any normal use.
As some spare membranes are includes I tried them, thinking it was maybe just a bad one. But they all had the same problem. The company didn't respond to the problem when I mailed them.
-the switching mechanism between diaphragm and bell is not really well made and feels loose. Although this has not worsened over time.
-when using the bell side (without the small membrane), the plastic ring (which you leave there) is quite loose too.

conclusion: I wouldn't buy this thing again, unless they improve the membrane. I am now at a point to look for a different stethoscope because I am tired to repairing my egm constantly.