Explain this to me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by silvercholla
Give me a break!!!!! I totally have to agree with Spidey!!! It never fails. People come to the US and they are like wow! look at this place:clap: ! Then 6 months later they are like wow look at this place:mad: ! Short memories are abundant! I was born here and I grew up with the privilage of being able to go to school free of charge, given the oppprtunity to say and do what I want when I want within the limits of the law (and sometimes without:p ) And I am proud of this country inspite of the short comings. Because there is no where in the world that allows you the freedom to bitch and moan as much as I have heard here today. BOOHOO!!! LIFE IS UNFAIR, I HAD TO COME TO A COUNTRY WITH OPPORTUNITIES AND WORK MY ASS OFF TO GET THEM! WHY ISN'T IT FREE! WHY ISN'T IT EASY! Look if you were in India (and be honest) would you have been able to get as far as you have come as youhave done here? People think hard before you speak!!! Learn before you pull down. Achieve before you receive. Life is not fair and nothing is ever handed to you... even if you are rich.

Oh and for the record, I'm not a poor rich little white girl... I'm a po' a$$ black girl from the hood in East Flatbush Brooklyn,NY USA... WHAT!

Well said!! :clap: :clap:

ABout India... in India, wether or not you can be a doctor is based entirely on ONE test. If you score above a certain cut-off you can be a doctor, otherwise you can't... it's just a law. Imagine that... imagine if your acceptance to med school was based entirely on your MCAT score... forget gpa, ECs or anything else... ONLY your MCAT. I know of one girl from India who score just 2pts (or manybe just 1... not sure) below the cut0off so she couldn't be a doctor. Now that just sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

My position isn't as extreme as futuremd45's, but I'm really getting quite sick of hearing about how unfair AA is and how URMs w/lower stats take medical school spots away from non-URMs w/"much higher stats". Rather than beat you all over the head with the inequalities that exist between racial groups in America today, I've just got this to say to everyone: rather than complain about what you can't fix, concentrate on what you have control over. If you've been rejected from medical school, rather than point fingers at URMs, try to strengthening your application so that next time you'll have what it takes to get in. It's all about self-improvement. On another note, I usually don't question most people's motives for becoming a doctor. I do, however, question some people's motives (Ryo-Oki) for pursuing medicine. If you can't stand to see URMs gain acceptance to medical school, whatever are you going to do if (assuming you actually matriculate and graduate) you have to treat black patients ( heaven forbid...Ryo-Oki treating black patients)? Refuse them treatment? Try to recreate the Tuskegee Syphillis experiment? Do that and your licence will be ripped to shreds. So please people, don't blame all your admissions problems on URMs. If you didn't (or don't) get in, then it is up to YOU to fix the problem actively (raising GPA, doing reasearch), not passively (racist posts, editorials, pointing fingers). Just my $1/50.

Originally posted by saiyagirl
pathdr2b, as much as i thought your joke was distasteful, i couldn't help but smile.
anyway...

futuremd, yo i hear you, but i think you're taking it a bit far. true us south asians and our parents had to struggle hard to get here. my parents arrived here in the dead of winter from madras, with my mom speaking not a word of english and 7 months pregnant. she was 18. my father had about $5. most of us indian-americans have stories like this about our parents.

however, you have to admit that in general we have it better than a lot of other people. true we may have had to work harder or encounter more prejudice than our white counterparts in the same economic class. but after our years of work a lot of indian-americans are doing very well economically, our race constitutes some of the most affluent people in america. so so many people in america have it a lot harder than most indian-americans, many whites included.

and noeljan, yes it is true that there are a lot of white people who struggle everyday, and that most white people in america also came from immigrant/humble backgrounds, if not in their lifetime then a few generations ago. however it is also true that in general, the poor white man or woman will probably have an easier time getting access to food/health/education/jobs than their poor black or asian counterpart, and i think this is the point that futuremd was aiming at.

also, i think the reason why ppl note that "indians" and "asians" are not as quick as whites to "complain" about AA is that indians and asians--in general--are much less politically active in this country than their white (or black) counterparts. maybe because there are less of us, but i really think it's also that many indians and asians still feel intimidated by the majority as (again, in general) we are passive people by nature. i also think it might be a fear of losing focus on earning money and providing for the family, and therefore a fear of losing success. it's like, after getting established here, indians/asians tend to retreat quietly to the suburbs and do everything ensure the continuity of their success. this includes pushing kids to to pursue fields like medicine and engineering. for prestige, money, and most importantly--job stability. everyone knows what life was like in the motherland and so parents want to avoid that for their children.

i think though as the first few generations of south asian/americans grow older our political voice will be a bit louder as we would feel more confident around other americans than our parents did, and we'd be further removed from the hardship of our parents and the urgency to avoid risk at all costs.

well said, saiyagirl.

I usually try and stay away from something I feel is going to erupt into a flame war, but I really want to represent some of our "Indian folk" here. I believe that what futuremd is trying to say is not completely off base. He had somewhat of a right idea, just a wrong way of delivering it.

If I may, I would like to mediate what he is trying to say and the point you guys are trying to make. I came to the US with my parents when I was 15. And sure, life was not easy....I won't go into all the details about things we had to do to survive. Let me reiterate: Life was definitely NOT easy. I hardly had the luxuries (yes, TV WAS a luxury at that time; would you believe that for a few months all we had was a radio, a lamp, bed and coffee table in our house?) that most kids take for granted here. We had to dig in our heels and make sure that our family stood grounded. Surely, I would not be so paranoid about "not making it" if I weren't first generation. I have this extra 'burden' (if I may call it that) to really do something in my life that leaves a mark. I found my passion in medicine, and decided that this is how I would leave that mark. My point is, we have worked damn hard to be where we are today....to be the "average middle class family" that most other Americans are. We had to work from scratch, and build our life to where we are. Our past generations did not help us get there like most other peopel who have been here for a few generations.

That being said, I hope you can appreciate the value of a family working to achieve the same "success" that another family achieves that has been here for years. So it seems reasonable to think that it's unfair for people like futuremd--whose family may have had to work as hard--to compete on the same standards as somebody who has been here for a while. I **don't agree** with that sentiment, but I do understand their point.

Now--having said THAT.....I want to say that I do not complain about AA. Sure, it bites my *you know what* that a lot of people who may not have had to work as hard as me get special consideration, but you know what...life is not fair. I am sure that in the end, life balances out. And it's not upto me to judge anybody about how deserves and doesn't deserve to be an MD through AA. Let me also say that AA does not help in becoming a physician; if the person is a lazy ass and won't do crap in life, AA is NOT going to help them out. The reason I don't say anything about AA is because I know people that have truly had an unpriviledged life (worse than mine!) who were really helped by it. I don't complain about AA because I realized after coming to this country that I HAVE TO PLAY BY ITS RULES!! I can't complain about living in a place where a girl like me actually gets to be an M.D. I feel like I don't even have a right to complain about AA. I mean, I would not have even DARED to think about being a physician in India. Why? Social and personal/familial restrictions. I was taught by my dad that I am better than any other man who thinks that he may be "better" than me. And this he taught me in India because my dad knew that girls do not have it so easy. Trust me, I still fight a lot of the familial stereotypes that come from India. But my dad has taught me to fight. And he taught me to play by the rules, and beat em at their own game. Become one of them, and win them!!

Making a mockery out of a system that helps others in the long run is not going to help us get into medical school. Just do your work, and focus on yourself. What's in your fate, will be granted to you--be it through AA or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
Sure, it bites my *you know what* that a lot of people who may not have had to work as hard as me get special consideration

I was with you until there...and I'm sure you're the only one out here who works hard. I may be a URM, but I still have to work hard to prove that I belong amongst the "biggest and brightest" in terms of premeds. Just as I could never be you, you can never know what it's like to be me. You should never assume that I may not have to work as hard to get to med school. You don't know every single URM, what each one goes through, even what school every single URM attends. So can we all agree to stop saying that URMs have it easy during this process (unless you're one speaking from personal experience)?

Originally posted by Qafas
Why do you think medical schools go through such an extensive process of having us fill out those long applications and then interviewing with them?

to screw with our poor lil brains of course :laugh:

no seriously, of course the elements of becoming a doctor run much much deeper than average gpa and mcat scores. my question is this: does affirmative action, in any way, negatively affect the quality of medical school matriculants?

let me ask you another hypothetical question: if ethnicity was complete removed from the selection process for all 125 medical schools in the u.s. (just pretend that the adcom does not know anything about the ethnic backgrounds of any of the applicants they are screening, and that the interview is held with a divider in between the interviewer and applicant), so that the selection process is solely based on the non-ethnic merits of the applicants, what will be the percentage of African Americans and other URMs in the entering class?

dayam that was long...i'm spent...

Originally posted by All-Star14
I was with you until there...and I'm sure you're the only one out here who works hard. I may be a URM, but I still have to work hard to prove that I belong amongst the "biggest and brightest" in terms of premeds. Just as I could never be you, you can never know what it's like to be me. You should never assume that I may not have to work as hard to get to med school. You don't know every single URM, what each one goes through, even what school every single URM attends. So can we all agree to stop saying that URMs have it easy during this process (unless you're one speaking from personal experience)?

uhhhh, I am not sure if you read everything that i wrote. Let me copy and paste it again for you. I did say that I can't judge because in the end, AA doesn't get you in...you get yourself in. Was my point not clear enough? :confused:

My point is that sure I have had to work hard, but there are others who may have had to work just as hard if not harder. AA **is** needed for such URMs. And I am sure that in the end, stuff balances out. Did you read that part?
----------------------
Now--having said THAT.....I want to say that I do not complain about AA. Sure, it bites my *you know what* that a lot of people who may not have had to work as hard as me get special consideration, but you know what...life is not fair. I am sure that in the end, life balances out. And it's not upto me to judge anybody about how deserves and doesn't deserve to be an MD through AA. Let me also say that AA does not help in becoming a physician; if the person is a lazy ass and won't do crap in life, AA is NOT going to help them out. The reason I don't say anything about AA is because I know people that have truly had an unpriviledged life (worse than mine!) who were really helped by it.
-------------------

If med school adcoms did not know our ethnicities, the average entering class would be:

35-45% Asian/Indian Americans
25-35% Jewish American
20-30% White Americans
0-5% URMs

Actually I am probably undercounting Asians and Indians since they already make up 20-30 % of all current med school classes eventhough they are less than 5% of the total general population.

The truth sucks!!

BTW: to all the people that can not read: I am a staunch supporter of AA since I believe due to the "unfairness" of life, URMs do not have the same advantage in education as others also, they are more likely to serve in underserved urban areas. My earlier posts specified this but it looks like many can not understand that. I am NOT the one complaining about AA. Rather, I am trying to point our to my white siblings that they should stop complaining about AA since a group, ie. Indians/Asians seem to have it even worse than whites yet do not complain.

Originally posted by futuremd45
I am NOT the one complaining about AA. Rather, I am trying to point our to my white siblings that they should stop complaining about AA since a group, ie. Indians/Asians seem to have it even worse than whites yet do not complain.

If you're not complaining, I don't know what you're doing. In any case, you tend to overgeneralize a lot. Even if admissions committees didn't know ethnicities, they'd still have more information to work with than just MCAT scores and GPA.

-RA

Damn, people read my posts more carefully:

1. No I am not complaining about AA

2. Yes I am complaining about how a few ignorant white people complain about affirmative action.

Please differentiate and use a little rationality while reading these posts.

:confused:

Originally posted by relatively prime
You could also point out that a lot of schools (especially the top schools) have similar ~acceptance rates~ for URMs as for non-URMs. That says a lot I think. For example, regardless of if you're a URM or not... you still only have a ~6% chance of getting in. This is also true at Harvard, WashU, UPenn... and basically almost all the top 20 schools. AND! Believe it or not at Columbia the acceptance rate for minorities is actually ~3% lower for minorities than for non-URMs.

I think people should really think about this... I mean, how unfair can if be if the acceptance rates are the same?

Very true. Acceptance rates tend to be similar across ethnicities. The point of the people who are saying that med school admissions is not meritocracy don't understand meritocracy. There are many more merits than just GPA and MCAT.

Someone on another thread stated that in the applicant pools, sometimes older applicants have lower GPAs and/or MCATs. Does this mean that they lack merit? Absolutely not. They just have merit in other places.

-RA

Okay...please refrain from insulting my intelligence in future posts. Your point "fleshes out" of your argument in two sentences. Okay, fine, but that doesn't retract from the statement I quoted (from your post) in my previous post. BTW, I read your entire post but (as always) it was assumed I didn't. I'm sick of assumptions. I've made my point and said what I felt should be said...case closed. I'm not angry, bitter, or upset at you in any way...I'm just disappointed you'd post a statement like that. I'm a relatively new poster, but I've been snooping around this site for a while. You seemed like a pretty nice person to me (from your posts); I just hope I wasn't wrong about you.:(

2. Yes I am complaining about how a few ignorant white people complain about affirmative action.

I suppose you'd be rational by making ridiculous overgeneralizations... sigh... It's Indians like you that give the rest of us a bad name...

-RA

Originally posted by Random Access
Very true. Acceptance rates tend to be similar across ethnicities. The point of the people who are saying that med school admissions is not meritocracy don't understand meritocracy. There are many more merits than just GPA and MCAT.

Someone on another thread stated that in the applicant pools, sometimes older applicants have lower GPAs and/or MCATs. Does this mean that they lack merit? Absolutely not. They just have merit in other places.

-RA

OK, I deleted that post because upon further inspection I realized that "minorities" does not necessarily mean URMs... so I'm not possitive what "minorities" means... it might include Asians aswell.

Either way... it's interesting. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I used some of my rationality when I read your posts and I found your posts to be rather insulting and incredibly generalistic. You keep telling all the 'ignorant white people' to stop complaining about AA, etc..but then you ignorantly make generalizations that have no bearing on reality. You make many assumptions. I have quite a few indian friends whose parents came over here already fairly wealthy, or if they did not, they came over and lived in neighborhoods that were very diverse and indian-friendly (I grew up in Jersey). In fact, most of my Indian friends were better off than me when it came to school, having a family at home that understood the importance of academic fortitude, and a family structure that was a source of refuge. So, I don't think it is fair of you to assume that ALL indians who emigrated are barraged with prejudice, etc..

I also find it comical how you differentiate between Jewish-Americans and white americans. Last time I checked they were both caucasians, but I could be wrong about that. On my first day at med school, the dean of admissions didn't greet us with stats that showed us Asian Americans, African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, South-East Asian American, Jewish American, and Caucasian. It just doesn't work that way. I'd even argue that Jewish Americans have an easier time surviving in this society (economically, academically) compared to your categorization of what defines 'white people'.

futuremed, you just seem to make many generalizations about certain groups of peoples. I've met some dumb as hell indians, and some incredibly intelligent ones (family life, socioeconomics, etc..all being equal), and the same goes for all other ethnicities. Each individual has their own story, and you ignorantly make generalizations about groups of people that cause those people to be offended (myself included). you don't know anything about me. you don't know the neighborhood i grew up in, nor do you konw about the fractured family that i had/have. more importantly, you don't know anything about the past history of those people who are complaining about AA (I have no problems with AA, but I do with your generalizations).

Finally, I also know many African Americans who find AA insulting. They look at is a a silent-message that black people could not get into schools on their own. Now, I don't agree with that, but I think it is pretty ignorant of you to assume that only white people have problems with AA.

Best of luck on your interviews. I hope your ill-managed temper will not hinder your chances of admission.

Originally posted by Qafas
Your argument might be valid on its face, but it has a flawed foundation; you are assuming that a person's entire life-experience can be boiled down to a set of numbers. I'm sure you can see that that just isn't fair. You are also assuming that a person with a better GPA and MCAT scores will definitely do better in medical school, and become a better physician than someone with scores that are lower. Granted, that a person with stellar numbers has shown that he/she is capable of handling the academic rigors of medical school. But the rigors of medicine itself are by no means limited to what we face in medical school. Therefore, there is only so much value that can be given to these scores.
When you look at someone's numbers and base his/her abilities to become a physician based solely on them, you are doing them injustice. Why do you think medical schools go through such an extensive process of having us fill out those long applications and then interviewing with them? Simply because they know that numbers don't tell the whole story. In my view, if you have the minimum numbers, then you are just as good as the next guy. Now, it makes a hell of a lot of difference why you got those low scores. If it was simply because you didn't want to put in any more effort, then you should (ideally) lose out to the competition. But, if there are compounding factors, and there often are, then it's a whole different game. What an applicant brings to the table, besides the numbers, is at least equally important.
Finally, please remember that the selection process is not perfect nor will it ever be. It is rather subjective, which is both good and bad. There is a balance somewhere, but I don't know where it is; I doubt anyone knows without a doubt. If you are committed enough, don't let failure drag you down.....do all you can to improve and apply again.

with regards

Well said, Qafas!. It's funny how some "pre-meds" are always complaining about AA and numbers, and it's usually the med students who sets it straight by posting more logical and experienced viewspoints on this issue. Yay for med students! :D

souljah
Your post was awesome and was exactly why I was so angry.
Futuremd goes on to complain about the generalizations "white people" make, but then made even greater ones towards many people. Also, I was thinking the same thing about him saying Jewish Americans are not white. Last rime I checked, most Jewish people consider themselves and are as white as any other "white person" I go to a heavily populated Jewish school, my sorority and best friends are Jewish, and my step father is Jewish. I just don't understand. No one should assume anything about anyone. I know we are not perfect and are only human, but we can try as much as possible.

Sitting in the library all day while being an antisocial loser hardly counts as achievement. [/B]

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. This is exactly what is wrong with this country.

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Eeyore? ;)

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. This is exactly what is wrong with this country.

Just because you have no social skills doesn't mean this country is going to hell in a handbasket. Besides, if you don't like it, go somewhere else...all these bitter people...

-RA

Ah, the kid who equates high MCAT scores/GPA with being a pathetic anti-social loser speaks.

Ah, the kid who equates high MCAT scores/GPA with being a pathetic anti-social loser speaks.

Wrong bud. I said studying all day in the library and doing nothing else makes you an anti-social loser. That is one way to get high MCAT scores and a high GPA.

I said high MCAT scores and a high GPA aren't the only merit. Having a decent MCAT score, decent GPA, and being an interesting person makes you a better candidate.

-RA

hey guys,

my first year class is amazing-- diverse in every imaginable way (ethnicity, geography, nationality, college, etc.). and my education will be incredibly enhanced because of all of the perspectives my classmates bring to me.

the end result of the admissions process is wonderful--depsite all of any "unfairness" you may perceive as an applicant.

if my class was only filled with people who had equally high numbers, i firmly believe that i would not be as good of a physician at the end of this process. period.

unlike college and highschool, remember that medical school is not about being a good student, but about becoming the best physician possible.

remain well,
swaroop

Don't backpedal too hard, you'll trip.

"interesting person". Nice, un-quantifiable, completely subjective and, of course, wholly based on merit. I know I worked my ass off becoming an interesting person. Resolving forces on an inclined plane? Hell, that's for those anti-social losers.

Same type of thinking in predominate black culture. Why are black Matriculants scoring a standard deviation below their non-AA counterparts? It's not genetic. It's not social economic. It is this culture that does not value academics. A culture that AA helps exacerbate. Lower expectations lead to lower results. Contary to what you believe, most of us are not racist and do not turn a blind eye to what incredible dire straights the black community is in. So do we want to continue fooling ourselves into believing lowering standards for blacks and URMs will help them strive harder academically? Or can we finally do something that will help these people?

Originally posted by swaroop1
hey guys,

my first year class is amazing-- diverse in every imaginable way (ethnicity, geography, nationality, college, etc.). and my education will be incredibly enhanced because of all of the perspectives my classmates bring to me.

the end result of the admissions process is wonderful--depsite all of any "unfairness" you may perceive as an applicant.

if my class was only filled with people who had equally high numbers, i firmly believe that i would not be as good of a physician at the end of this process. period.

unlike college and highschool, remember that medical school is not about being a good student, but about becoming the best physician possible.

remain well,
swaroop

Well said from Swaroop. Perhaps the smoothest person I know. Or at least that's what he tried to convince Raj once... ;)

-RA

Looks like Tein finally got what he came for...........:( C'mon folks, there are an awful lot of misunderstandings going on here, mostly brought on by people getting a little too worked up and not speaking(writing) carefullly enough. I know there are some genuine disagreements about AA (amongst people of all ethnicities/races), but let's try to disagree respectfully, so we can work together as colleagues some day!:)

BTW, this same argument went on (and on and on) all last year. Somehow, I don't think we're going to resolve it.

Originally posted by SMW
BTW, this same argument went on (and on and on) all last year. Somehow, I don't think we're going to resolve it.

:laugh:

funny thing is, tein hasn't directly instigated all the mudslinging on this thread. way to keep it civil :)

Well said from Swaroop. Perhaps the smoothest person I know. Or at least that's what he tried to convince Raj once... ;)

-RA

raj, i hope you're working on your smoothness even though your guru's not there... (i'm waiting for you to one day surpass me)

best of luck this year, man

swaroop

Don't backpedal too hard, you'll trip.

"interesting person". Nice, un-quantifiable, completely subjective and, of course, wholly based on merit. I know I worked my ass off becoming an interesting person. Resolving forces on an inclined plane? Hell, that's for those anti-social losers.

I'm not backpedaling by any means. Just clarifying after you misread my post. I never said that having a high score makes you a loser, as you interpretted.

And yes, merit can be subjective. What's wrong with that?

But SDNers, you read it here: Ryo-Ohki has predicted that because I expressed my opinion on SDN, the US is doomed!!:eek:

Originally posted by swaroop1
hey guys,

remain well,
swaroop

swaroop,

i feel exactly the same way. so many of us have come from different backgrounds, countries, mindsets, etc..i definitely feel that it will all contribute to our collective success as a class. during orientation we had a diversity session where we broke up into groups and told each other about certain assumptions we had about each other. more times than not, we were so far off the correct track. it was really funny. most white people were assumed to be financially stable, with educated parents. most hispanics were thought to be from LA area, etc..silly assumptions that we make in our minds were brought to the discussion table only to be quickly pronounced incorrect. i wish futuremd could have been there, perhaps he would have realized the fact that we all have our own stories.

thank you for sharing your experience with us, i think it was greatly needed on this thread. people become so emotionally involved in their own beliefs that sometimes the conversation regresses to political bashing and racial generalizations.

Peace.

I'm seriously concerned about us when people start believing being an "interesting person" is a merit based criteria.

Patient: Are you a good doctor?

Brain Surgeon: Yeah, I'm an interesting person.
I was pretty average as far as my schooling, but my wit and charm definitely make up for it! Besides, my classmates at medical school enjoyed my company. And isn't that what truly matters?

Patient: Terrific! Cut open my head!

Originally posted by SMW
Looks like Tein finally got what he came for...........:( C'mon folks, there are an awful lot of misunderstandings going on here, mostly brought on by people getting a little too worked up and not speaking(writing) carefullly enough. I know there are some genuine disagreements about AA (amongst people of all ethnicities/races), but let's try to disagree respectfully, so we can work together as colleagues some day!:)

I'll amen to that.

Hi all... here's a bit of info... in Canada the only people they give special consideration to are Native Indians... I don't think u get any special consideration otherwise.... but in a way its good because those people go back to their communities and serve them (otherwise they wouldn't have great access to medical care).

Still though... I'll be honest I have many black friends who grew up very privelaged lifes and would be insluted to list themselves for 'special consideration' hell... they have way better GPA's than me!

I suppose this is the conclusion I totally believe in AA or in 'special consideration' BUT there shouldn't be any racial barrier.... lets give it also to those poor refugees from Cuba, or immigrants from Eastern Europe, people who have been abused as children, people suffering from illnesses.... everything should be taken into consideration seriously NOT just numbers... I mean 'special consideration' and hardships surpass racial barriers....

Originally posted by pathdr2b
"Med Schools are like women, if one turns you down there is ALWAYS another one available."

To OneStrongBro:

Maybe what you MEANT to say was that "med schools are like women, I'll never get IN!":laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist and I apologize for my digression:D

Interesting that YOU ARE THE ONE that came up with this comment. They say many truths are told in humor.

For the record, pretty funny.

Just remember whatever you post reveals alot about YOURSELF.

A CONFIDENT person who is sure of his OWN situation would not belittle others.

i don't think AA is great but i do think it is the best thing we've got until we can make the term "disadvantaged background" a rarity. ryo-ohki, as i take it you want to put more effort into making disadvantaged backgrounds a rarity. that's good...but while we're at it we cannot forget about the adults who have already experienced difficulties.

i wish we could make AA based on socioeconomic status and not race, because i think that would actually bring in MORE diversity and would finally be race-blind...of course admissions would not be need-blind then. which of course would lead us back to our vicious cycle.

does anyone have any suggestions as to ways we can improve AA?

ps: ryo-ohki, you gotta be nicer. you might think you sound all smart making these posts...but the truth is you come off sounding ignorant and dumber thanyou probably are. none of us here really wanna hear from people who don't have constructive attitudes. i'm telling you the truth. who wants to be known as a troll? not me.

Saiyagirl that was well said

I think honestly.... 'disadvantaged' should be taken as a case by case individual basis....here are some bizarre/extreme but hypothetical examples:

1) a white, english speaking american woman from a polygomous mormon tribe in Ohio, who 'ran away' from her environment and is no longer in contact with her family, ie: no support.

2) a white, black, hispanic etc... individual who grew up in a very poor background, a dangerous area, drug dealing going on at every block or corner of his/her neighbourhood. Parents are always on drugs etc....

3) Someone who had a serious illness during their university career, for example a chronic heart failure, a lung transplant, other surgery.... which would impact their GPA

etc etc etc.....

so yeah my advice is take away the 'racial boundary' I think that will be the best thing for affirmative action, and decrease racism among us all as well.....

Originally posted by TeinII
to screw with our poor lil brains of course :laugh:

no seriously, of course the elements of becoming a doctor run much much deeper than average gpa and mcat scores. my question is this: does affirmative action, in any way, negatively affect the quality of medical school matriculants?

let me ask you another hypothetical question: if ethnicity was complete removed from the selection process for all 125 medical schools in the u.s. (just pretend that the adcom does not know anything about the ethnic backgrounds of any of the applicants they are screening, and that the interview is held with a divider in between the interviewer and applicant), so that the selection process is solely based on the non-ethnic merits of the applicants, what will be the percentage of African Americans and other URMs in the entering class?

dayam that was long...i'm spent...

To answer your question, Tien: No, I don't think that affirmative action negatively affects the quality of matriculants. See, you are assuming that URMs are undeserving of being in med school justbecause they are URMs. You must realize that every URM applicant who gets accepted with consideration as such, is still bringing quite a bit more to the table.
As for your hypothetical question, I'll answer it but only for the sake of argument, because these 'what if...' games don't really get us anywhere. Now, if the adcoms looked solely at the non-ethnic merits, I believe that fewer URMs applicants would get in than do now. But, I'm not sure that that is necessarily a good thing. You must realize that the affirmative action was designed not to suppress the majority, but to lift the minority. The difference, seemingly subtle, really isn't. In fact, it's huge. Nor was the AA designed with individuals in mind. Look at who is getting the special consideration - UNDER-represented minorities, not just any and all minorities (and, btw, I don't think Indians fall under that category, as well we shouldn't).
The whole idea behind AA is that URMs are under-represented for a reason; they, as a whole group, haven't been privy to the advantages that the rest of us have had. Now, are there, say, african-americans who belong to affluent families and have had everything just for the wanting? Absolutely! It also follows then that there are white applicants, or applicants from other well represented groups who have had it just as bad as any URM applicant. Yes, it absolutely reeks for the individual applicants, and then there are those who are able to take unfair advantage of the process. But, what's the alternative? If you let things be the way they are, those who are under-rep. will remain so, and the cycle will continue. The idea is to give those who have been disadvantaged, as a GROUP, a break so that they may be able to break the cycle and bring some balance to the society.
As for the quality of matriculants, I suppose you need only look at the physicians who are practicing today.....are there bad ones out there? You bet there are. But, do they all belong to URMs. Hell no. Conversely, there are excellent doctors who belong to URMs, as well as the other groups. So, we may atleast rest assured that the AA is not putting out conspicously bad doctors into circulation. Remember that once in med school, it's a clean slate, and we are all judged the same.

with regards

Originally posted by ocean11
Saiyagirl that was well said

I think honestly.... 'disadvantaged' should be taken as a case by case individual basis....here are some bizarre/extreme but hypothetical examples:

1) a white, english speaking american woman from a polygomous mormon tribe in Ohio, who 'ran away' from her environment and is no longer in contact with her family, ie: no support.

2) a white, black, hispanic etc... individual who grew up in a very poor background, a dangerous area, drug dealing going on at every block or corner of his/her neighbourhood. Parents are always on drugs etc....

3) Someone who had a serious illness during their university career, for example a chronic heart failure, a lung transplant, other surgery.... which would impact their GPA

etc etc etc.....

so yeah my advice is take away the 'racial boundary' I think that will be the best thing for affirmative action, and decrease racism among us all as well.....

Your point is well taken, but what you suggest is highly impractical and can't be implemented, if only for the lack of resources. Think about it - I could simply lie on my application and make up all the hardships I could think of, and there is no way in hell anyone could confirm or disprove them. Multiply that by about 34,000 applicants and you see what a mess we'ld have. Now, I am assuming that everyone would make up stuff, but if there are those who are, wouldn't you do it, too, if only so that they don't get away with an undeserved spot?
So, individual consideration is out. What's the next best thing? How about you categorize people in some way, and grant disadvantaged status to those groups who have traditionally/historically had it bad AND CONTINUE to have it bad because the cycle will not spontaneously break? Guess what?! That is what we have, and the under-rep. minorities are under-rep. exactly for that reason. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, this is rather unfair to some individual applicants who might be more deserving. But, don't you think that there are non-URM applicants who take away well-deserved spots from other non-urm applicants for various other reasons? How about we get rid of the residency requirements for the state schools? I'm from california and we've got everyone and his brother applying to med school. So, while someone with stellar numbers doesn't get in in california, there might be someone in another state with much fewer applicants who gets in. And I'm sure we can come up with many other such scenarios.
I think we need to get rid of this "deserve to go to med school" mentality. Except for a few outliers, on both sides of the line, everyone who gets in deserves to go to med schools. Now, are there some who deserve it more than others? Sure, but why do we forget that this is a competition, just like anything else? So, to all those who are complaining about this I say, instead of complaining about the few spots that supposedly "undeserving" URMs take away, why not make yourself more competitive for the majority of spots that the Non-URM applicants took away???

with regards

Originally posted by pathdr2b
"Med Schools are like women, if one turns you down there is ALWAYS another one available."

To OneStrongBro:

Maybe what you MEANT to say was that "med schools are like women, I'll never get IN!":laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist and I apologize for my digression:D

OUCH!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Spidey
Soon I will have the full address and my stalking can begin in earnest. Hey Silver you never answered me about whether or not your mom had a spare room for rent...

;)

I would never want to put you through that kind of torture.:D :laugh:

To everyone,
First thing that we have to understand is that life will NEVER be fair. We can all complain how one group gets in easier then others and find some kind of justification.

To continue (I pressed the wrong button),
We need to stop complaining. I think that all groups had it bad in the past, some more then others. I don't want another AA b/c there are soo many of them on this board already. The fact is that some groups (from my perspective, African-American) still have it hard in America. It is true that an individual who grew up in the projects, went to underserved schools in which the teachers don't care about their students. And comparing an individual who when to the best elementary, junior high, and high school is going to have a advantage over that individual that grew up in the projects. Is that fair for medical school to put them on the same playing field?
One of my peers brought up the point about how AA is bad and lets in unqualified applicants. The truth is that there are unqualified applicants who do get into med school of ALL race. I just dont' get it sometimes when my Caucasian friends complain how its soo unfair, boo hoo. Look it has been about 400 years African-American have been on this continent; 265 of those years have been the grotesque slavery; 100 of those years have been legalized discrimination; almost 35 to 40 years we have been able to play on the playing fields. And still in the backs of people minds, they feel that African Americans are inferior. Just yesterday, another of my peers said that the first African American Organic Chemistry professor at my college got in because of AA. I was upset at the fact that maybe she got here because of her merit.
I am 19 years old and people say that slavery and legalized discrimination didn't affect me; however, my parents were affected in that they weren't able to get the good job to provide everything for me and my sister. It is like that for most African-American families.
So I want to say after 365 of those years being treated like we were less then humans and weren't able to get the same rights as other, how in the world can we jump up and say everything is ok. There are a lot of african americans who feel that they are inferior because society tell them they are. Consequently, that affects the mind of many of African Americans. Thus we need a system to "break the cycle" so we can get back on our feet and allow African American to have confidence. AA is "working" as of now and that is the only thing we have no be on a equal playing field, so to speak. So stop all that "its not fair" attitude because frankly, would you want to live as an URM? That is a question to consider.
Raptor:p

Originally posted by OneStrongBro
Interesting that YOU ARE THE ONE that came up with this comment. They say many truths are told in humor.

For the record, pretty funny.

Just remember whatever you post reveals alot about YOURSELF.

A CONFIDENT person who is sure of his OWN situation would not belittle others.

OK, OneStrongBro I apologize for offending you. I found your comment about women and medical schools VERY mysoginist (SP?). I was only trying to add a little humor to a very "tense" but important debate on this thread.

So, I hope what my posts convey (please review them all) is that I'm very confident and sure of myself with a quirky sense of humor.

BTW, I had a friend that was asked if he masturbated during a MEDICAL SCHOOL INTERVIEW. He maintained his sense of humor, was admitted to that medical school (IVY League) and today is a practicing Physician. Just something to think about.................

Raptor, great post! :)

pathdr2b, great joke! :laugh: It even brought Scooby out of retirement to laugh!! :eek: And I agree with you that OneStrongBro's signature is misogynistic
(a misogynist is someone who is misogynistic or indulges in misogyny ;) ).

Sorry, but some of you guys (like the one who started this whole post 7 pages ago) are just a bunch of arrogant pre-meds who obviously know NOTHING about being a good doctor...here's a clue: MCATS and college GPA dont' mean much but a ticket in the med school door, after that, it's a whole new game. You start from square one and it IS different from pre-med alot.

MCATS have absolutely NO correlation with scores on the USMLE National Medical Board Exams - this is a fact, researched in studies, and proven true in my own class. I'm a 4th year med student and I've seen it. Guess what else, people with awesome USMLE scores occassionally can't get the residency they want b/c that is not all they look at anymore - if you're a jerk your scores won't do anything for you.

Being smart and getting good grades, while very important, are not always all there is. Say you're a smart kid who needs to study 1 hour to remember what your friend remembers in 3 hours of studying. Guess what, the 3 hour student is going to be the better doc, hands down. Why? B/c he has to work harder from day 1, but he does it and does not complain- exactly the work ethic you need as a 3rd year med student or a resident - work hard and get the job done, even when it doesn't come naturally and easily for you. Trust me, I was the student who worked my butt off in college and struggled for B's, but I ended up crushing my fellow students on evals(=GRADES) 3rd year b/c I'm a hard worker and a team player and I DO know the clinical stuff I need to know (it has nothing to do with physics and chem).

As far as the racist thread going on....Did anyone ever think about how women often prefer female physicians, and african americans might also prefer more african american physicians, or a man might prefer a male urologist? It's not racist so much as its natural for people to feel comfortable with people like themselves SOMETIMES. Therefore, getting more minority doctors out there DOES help patients a lot -

maybe the reason why so many african americans in my city have uncontrolled hypertension and diabetes is b/c they didnt' like going to see some know-it-all white male punk who thinks that his patients should think he's God for getting great MCAT scores.

Actually, there IS a correlation between high MCAT scores and high board scores. I don't know where you're getting your information from. I for one am really glad that MCAT scores count for as much as they do. How much more bizarre would this process be if the MCAT's weren't there to weed out some of the bagillion folks who want to become doctors?
But back to my main point, a couple of points won't make a difference, but you can't tell me that people with 24's on their MCATs do as well on the boards as people with 34's. I've seen the statistics given by a few admissions directors (including 2 top 25 schools). There's a correlation.
You're right about the step 2's though. You make what you put into it of clinicals. But step 1, that's another story.

My dentist is Indian and he applied to Meharry and he said they rejected him b/c they said he would not fit in.

I am a URM and truly believe that if you are from the 'burbs and used to the best of the best you probably wouldn't want to attend a primarily minority school anyway....regardless of your race.

Hopefully someone can read between the lines and see where I am going with this...

Just my $ .02

You know what, you're right... many of the points that you brought up I never thought of as a 'white person' you know it must be hard being discriminated against... your strongest point was AA helps break the cycle and that is true and a very good thing....

Originally posted by fourthyear
Sorry, but some of you guys (like the one who started this whole post 7 pages ago) are just a bunch of arrogant pre-meds who obviously know NOTHING about being a good doctor...here's a clue: MCATS and college GPA dont' mean much but a ticket in the med school door, after that, it's a whole new game. You start from square one and it IS different from pre-med alot.

MCATS have absolutely NO correlation with scores on the USMLE National Medical Board Exams - this is a fact, researched in studies, and proven true in my own class. I'm a 4th year med student and I've seen it. Guess what else, people with awesome USMLE scores occassionally can't get the residency they want b/c that is not all they look at anymore - if you're a jerk your scores won't do anything for you.

Being smart and getting good grades, while very important, are not always all there is. Say you're a smart kid who needs to study 1 hour to remember what your friend remembers in 3 hours of studying. Guess what, the 3 hour student is going to be the better doc, hands down. Why? B/c he has to work harder from day 1, but he does it and does not complain- exactly the work ethic you need as a 3rd year med student or a resident - work hard and get the job done, even when it doesn't come naturally and easily for you. Trust me, I was the student who worked my butt off in college and struggled for B's, but I ended up crushing my fellow students on evals(=GRADES) 3rd year b/c I'm a hard worker and a team player and I DO know the clinical stuff I need to know (it has nothing to do with physics and chem).

As far as the racist thread going on....Did anyone ever think about how women often prefer female physicians, and african americans might also prefer more african american physicians, or a man might prefer a male urologist? It's not racist so much as its natural for people to feel comfortable with people like themselves SOMETIMES. Therefore, getting more minority doctors out there DOES help patients a lot -

maybe the reason why so many african americans in my city have uncontrolled hypertension and diabetes is b/c they didnt' like going to see some know-it-all white male punk who thinks that his patients should think he's God for getting great MCAT scores.

:clap:I agree with everything you've written!:clap: Great post, fourthyear!