Explaining C's in secondary application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a specific question in a secondary I am working on that asks me to explain a C+ or lower in any prereq or science courses. I have two C+s and two Cs in my five years of undergrad, all are science courses but none are prereqs. Truthfully, they were just hard courses and I didn't feel incredibly engaged in the class. I had no intention of mentioning these Cs anywhere else and have kept my application overall very positive but I'm trying to think of a way to explain them since my secondary specifically asks me to do so. I feel like if I say that I didn't feel engaged in the class or didn't enjoy the material then that will just hurt my case and sound like an excuse. I was thinking, instead to try and say that although I feel that I understood and learned the material presented to me in each class, they were challenging in their own rights and I just didn't score well on those exams. I'm trying to give a "yeah I messed up but I'm not a complete idiot and I care about my education" vibe. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate these prompts. I don't know what more to say beyond "I tried to do well in these courses, but I didn't..." ?

That is a really weird prompt. I never had to do something like that for one of my secondaries, but if I did I would probably spin it into how I learned something from it (better time management, study strategy adaptability, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
. I have two C+s and two Cs in my five years ofundergrad, all are science courses but none are prereqs. Truthfully, they were just hardcourses and I didn't feel incredibly engaged in the class.

say the above as it is as simple and truthful as can be. anything else will likely sound worse
I guess I was just worried that saying I didn't feel engaged in the class would sound like an excuse and might come off the wrong way. I'm worried about being too honest. But you're absolutely right. I should not elaborate and make it worse