"Exposure with DO" secondary essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how I should go about writing this essay if I have no experience with osteopathic medicine. My best childhood friend is a DO resident, so I can write a cute little essay about how him and I used to motivate each other when we were kids, and how he now inspires me to study osteopathic medicine because he is passionate about it and shows me that regardless of title, a passionate physician is what makes a good physician, or how he shows me some osteopathic manipulation stuff, etc.

I can also play the "my dad is an MD and he inspired me to study medicine, so I just want to do medicine regardless of title" card.

Has anyone else managed to figure out what to do in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is why shadowing a DO is so important.

Could you at least speak with your childhood friend about his experiences and then discuss how those are inspiring to you by using examples?????

IMO no one cares about your childhood unless somehow it inspired you to become a DO. e.g. You had a DO pediatrician.........

Does your dad know anything about DO's? If so that could be relevant, BUT I totally would avoid playing my dad is a Dr so I should be one card.

Do you know anything about DOs? Have you read up on them? Watched videos? Anything at all? If not then how do you know that you'd be happy as a DO? For instance, are you ok with the rectal head insertion exam thing? :)

Reactions: 1 users
This is why shadowing a DO is so important.

Could you at least speak with your childhood friend about his experiences and then discuss how those are inspiring to you by using examples?????

IMO no one cares about your childhood unless somehow it inspired you to become a DO. e.g. You had a DO pediatrician.........

Does your dad know anything about DO's? If so that could be relevant, BUT I totally would avoid playing my dad is a Dr so I should be one card.

Do you know anything about DOs? Have you read up on them? Watched videos? Anything at all? If not then how do you know that you'd be happy as a DO? For instance, are you ok with the rectal head insertion exam thing? :)

Not really actually, i'm gonna have to do my research on DO. Further, i'm not planning on saying "My dad is a Dr so I should be one" but more like "My dad is a Dr and he inspired me".

And...wait, there's actually a rectal head insertion exam? I hope you're kidding.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really actually, i'm gonna have to do my research on DO. Further, i'm not planning on saying "My dad is a Dr so I should be one" but more like "My dad is a Dr and he inspired me".

And...wait, there's actually a rectal head insertion exam? I hope you're kidding.
LOL... When you find a licensed DO to speak with ask about the head in the rectum insertion exam component of training and if it was difficult. He or she will appreciate your knowledge of DO. ;)

Seriously, even if you can cobble up a good essay for secondaries, between now and interviews find a DO to shadow. You need to make it real and really get what the difference is. You never know you may fall in love with being a DO and drink the coolaid even. All of that said, in reality most DOs and MDs I've worked with do things in most the same way, but for the OMM stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

the DO I shadowed, every thing he did was kinda similar to MD, so I only talked most about the important aspect of the shadowing, which is the OMT stuff that he performed.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been doing research and it seems like a very awesome approach to medicine. I like the preventative aspect of it

I've been doing research and it seems like a very awesome approach to medicine. I like the preventative aspect of it

Isn't MD also doing preventive medicine?
My friend who was accepted to WesternU told me that he stated the principle of DO in, and apparently they asked him this question on his interview:

"Most MD also doing the same things. So why you don't go MD route?"

I believe you should be very specific about what specifically only DO possessed.

Isn't MD also doing preventive medicine?
My friend who was accepted to WesternU told me that he stated the principle of DO in, and apparently they asked him this question on his interview:

"Most MD also doing the same things. So why you don't go MD route?"

I believe you should be very specific about what specifically only DO possessed.

Thanks for preparing me for a potential curve ball at an interview. I already got this essay under control thanks though.

The DO I shadowed told me there's no difference between DOs and MDs. Obviously I didn't mention that in the essay...

I was wondering how I should go about writing this essay if I have no experience with osteopathic medicine. My best childhood friend is a DO resident, so I can write a cute little essay about how him and I used to motivate each other when we were kids, and how he now inspires me to study osteopathic medicine because he is passionate about it and shows me that regardless of title, a passionate physician is what makes a good physician, or how he shows me some osteopathic manipulation stuff, etc.

I can also play the "my dad is an MD and he inspired me to study medicine, so I just want to do medicine regardless of title" card.

Has anyone else managed to figure out what to do in this situation?

I would include a statement that you understand and subscribe to the basic tenets of osteopathic medicine as listed in this document from the AACOM (page 9):

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/bgom.pdf?sfvrsn=6