Externship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danglesticks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next month I will be starting one of my externships. At this point in time, this location is probably my #1 choice for residency. Unfortunately this will be the only month that I will be able to spend time in this state. I am also interested in other nearby programs.

I would like to be able to view a program or two since it will be my only month there. What is the best way of asking for permission to do so? Are programs generally understanding of this? Is it better to approach the resident or the attending about this? I don't want to rub the program the wrong way by asking for a day or two off to visit other programs. However, this will be my only opportunity to visit these locations.

Also, with regards to the end of the month I will be traveling a great distance. Is it okay to ask for an extra day or so to make this travel easier on myself?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From my perspective, I would say yes, you can ask for time off for travel at the end of the month. That happens a lot. I wouldn't ask for more than a day, or two at most. If the program you are visiting is your top choice, I wouldn't ask for any time off during the month. Actually, even if the program is one that you would consider at all, I wouldn't ask for time off. In my opinion, asking for time off from a program to visit other programs makes it seem like you don't really want to be there. You can see if there is a day that the residents don't expect you there (some programs I visted didn't have me come in if there were no surgeries for example). Otherwise, I would say that you should put your effort into your extern program.

I agree, don't ever ask for time off to visit another residency. However, most programs are very willing to give you a couple of days off at the end for travel time. Some will even ask you if you need an extra day or two. That is when you can visit another program that is close by.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both your responses and thoughts. If anyone else has any more experiences or opinions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

From my perspective, I would say yes, you can ask for time off for travel at the end of the month. That happens a lot. I wouldn't ask for more than a day, or two at most. If the program you are visiting is your top choice, I wouldn't ask for any time off during the month. Actually, even if the program is one that you would consider at all, I wouldn't ask for time off. In my opinion, asking for time off from a program to visit other programs makes it seem like you don't really want to be there. You can see if there is a day that the residents don't expect you there (some programs I visted didn't have me come in if there were no surgeries for example). Otherwise, I would say that you should put your effort into your extern program.

+1

Treat your top program like you would a super hot girl who hasn't decided if she wants to date you yet. Would you ever admit that you were talking to or seeing another girl? HELL no. Don't even mention other girls (programs) while on a date (externship), because you are trying to convince this hot girl (your top pick) that she is the only one for you.